New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

Dear All - I wrote to Fraser stating there was concern over availability at the start, given Taunton only managed 40 units of their ZTC 611 after all the excitement. A reply from Fraser about number of units available from the start, and ongoing:

Hi Mike

A very valid point!

As we speak, I have 100 units awaiting final assembly and I'll be building them in batches of 10 (each one takes about an hour to put together with about 20min to test).

As my business is part time, I face a huge challenge re timescales but I will always keep customers honestly "in the picture".

Regards

Fraser.
  • Like 1

Dear All - I wrote to Fraser stating there was concern over availability at the start, given Taunton only managed 40 units of their ZTC 611 after all the excitement. A reply from Fraser about number of units available from the start, and ongoing:

Hi Mike

A very valid point!

As we speak, I have 100 units awaiting final assembly and I'll be building them in batches of 10 (each one takes about an hour to put together with about 20min to test).

As my business is part time, I face a huge challenge re timescales but I will always keep customers honestly "in the picture".

Regards

Fraser.

Thanks for the update Mike, I'll be placing an order for mine tomorrow.

Simon

• Like 1

I wonder if the optional USB adaptor will allow for future computer control, assuming the software writers add the required driver interface to their product. I'm thinking JMRI, RocRail , RR&co etc. 

That is his future intention - see one of the posts above - and his next development will be wireless control.

A couple of concerns I've noted.

Scrolling through the loco list.

This would appear to be achieved by using the "Previous" and "Next" buttons, which I believe would be a cumbersome and slow means of access to the list and something I would consider not to be proper scrolling.

With a touch screen, it would be easier and far more intuitive to scroll by swiping or dragging a finger, which will provide very quick access to all locos and would by its nature provide variable speed scrolling.

Function Access.

The "More" button gives access to all 29 loco functions F0-F28.

However, there is no mention of....

....latching and non-latching capability for these function selections, either for how many functions (if at all) and....

....if available, whether these settings can be stored individually for each loco in the Loco List?

The lack of user defined latching/non-latching selection for individual loco functions is a shortcoming of many old style, first generation DCC systems, particularly those of US origin (Digitrax, NCE, MRC etc).

The use of a software driven touch screen should allow this shortcoming to be properly addressed.

Also, if by selecting the "More" page, all you are going to get is a page full of buttons labelled "Lights" and "F1" to "F28", then personally I think this is a major failing, particularly when we are talking about a software driven glass screen.

It would make more sense for stored locos, to only present the function buttons relevant to the selected loco and preferably be able to assign an icon or name to the individual function buttons, particularly with sound decoders.

Otherwise, I think this project is shaping up quite well.

Hopefully more information and clarification will come to light in due course.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ron,

Those exact thoughts had already crossed my mind and I sent an email to Fraser asking about them on Saturday!

At launch there will be no ability to set Latching or momentary, but it will be in a firmware update at a later date.

You can name the individual functions but it's limited to I think 6 characters because of the size of the buttons on the display.

You wont be able to store the function names with a locomotive address, once named thats what you have for all locos but again Fraser is aware of this.

He did say that these are very high on the to do list but if he tried to incorporate all the suggestions from day one he wouldn't actually have a launch date as you end up constantly trying to add further ideas and suggestions.

So these points are noted and Fraser is on the case.

I've never designed something or launched it to the mass public so have no idea what is involved so good look to him for going with it.

It does look like it will be a very good system, and Fraser seems open to improve it as needed, but I guess like everything it takes time.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

I like the idea of having 'Labelled' functions although if they can't be specific to a loco that will mean a lot of remapping of my sound decoders to get all the similar sounds on the same function. Hopefully something that can be addressed.

As a current NCE PowerCab user the only thing missing for me is the ability to setup Routes (Macros on NCE). I see from the Manual this is a 'future option'. The fact thats it's on the display (but greyed out) makes me hope that it won't be long in coming. Without it, it's a bit of a show stopper as i rely on Macros (Routes) for both my layouts.

Hi Ron,

Those exact thoughts had already crossed my mind and I sent an email to Fraser asking about them on Saturday!

At launch there will be no ability to set Latching or momentary, but it will be in a firmware update at a later date.

You can name the individual functions but it's limited to I think 6 characters because of the size of the buttons on the display.

You wont be able to store the function names with a locomotive address, once named thats what you have for all locos but again Fraser is aware of this.

He did say that these are very high on the to do list but if he tried to incorporate all the suggestions from day one he wouldn't actually have a launch date as you end up constantly trying to add further ideas and suggestions.

So these points are noted and Fraser is on the case.

I've never designed something or launched it to the mass public so have no idea what is involved so good look to him for going with it.

It does look like it will be a very good system, and Fraser seems open to improve it as needed, but I guess like everything it takes time.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for that information Ian.

Hopefully the firmware update to provide latching or momentary selection of functions is not too long in being delivered.

Without it, it will just be another on the long list of badly designed or executed DCC systems in this particular department, like so many of the well known and leading sellers.

I read your reply to say that the function naming will be there from day one?

Hopefully so, as trying to remember what function is which, when confronted by 28 anonomous looking buttons is not ideal and from the manufacturer, not the best way to go about designing things.

I can imagine the scenario....

"now where is that coupling sound?"

"is it F14, or F21...or was it F9?"

Then trying to find the correct button out of a page full of them, with no helpful visual clues whatsoever.

Worst still, you might have to turn the function on.....and then turn it off again, when that particular type of sound function should be accessed by a clearly labelled button requiring a one hit, fire and forget command.

Hopefully Fraser can get it nailed fairly quickly?

It must be a monumental task trying to get this to market in a fit for purpose state.

p.s. I hope I don't sound like I'm in knocking mode, or trying to put this project down, but the speed buttons...."DEC" & "INC"  ...they don't look right at all IMHO, particularly in that orientation..

I know it's the same symbology as NCE use, but at least they are in an understandable orientation on their handsets.

Then again it could just be me.

Personally I'd rather see something more familiar or generic and therefore intuitive. Maybe the + & - symbols, up/down arrows or similar.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Considering purchase, however at the moment I am sat on the fence deciding should I.

Sales are needed for on going development, but as I see it one or two things already mentioned are holding me back. Not helped by a non reply as yet to an email sent over the weekend.

Would like to see a unit in the flesh so to speak ( I live approx 20 min from the postal address) , seeing it could help finalise a sale.

Considering purchase, however at the moment I am sat on the fence deciding should I.

Sales are needed for on going development, but as I see it one or two things already mentioned are holding me back. Not helped by a non reply as yet to an email sent over the weekend.

Would like to see a unit in the flesh so to speak ( I live approx 20 min from the postal address) , seeing it could help finalise a sale.

Unusual not to get a reply within 24 hours from Fraser. Might be worth repeating as he has had many enquiries over the last several days. He may well be amenable to a personal visit but he only works part time (on this) and has a lot to do to meet the planned launch date. Just ask.

If visiting him personally does not work, he will have a stand at the Glasgow show at the end of February and has been invited to others during 2016. He will put a list up on his website in due course.

Have you looked at the website - gfbdesigns - it gives a summary and a full brochure as a PDF.

The price of the control unit will be £158 after launch date, unless you register interest before 20 January. The hand held "driver" is £19, including 2m cord.

How do you register an interest? 

It would appear that you just have to register on the website and send a message saying you intend to buy one at some stage. I made no more specific promise than that, although I will be ordering one before the launch date. You may want to check with him that you do not have to actually place an order before the 20th, as the wording is a little ambiguous I guess.

(Incidentally, for those of you living outside the UK, his site uses PayPal even to process debit or credit card payments. Hence, living in France but trying to use UK bank cards registered to a French address just doesn't work - I have had this problem with many other sites. So I will have to order by phone.)

Hi All

A further response from Fraser, which answers some of your queries. Others to come:

When I get the chance, I will go on the site and introduce myself but - as you appreciate - I have to place emphasis on getting the product "out of the door".

All your other points are, again, very valid but I need to "freeze" the specification for the moment so that I can release the product.

Enhancement of the function control is top of my list and I'll try to roll this out a few weeks after the sale of the first units.

Bear with me for the next week or so and I will look at your other queries. I am in the process of changing my credit card payment portal (not through choice!) so I'll let know when this is running so that you can pay without PayPal.

I am happy to accept visitors and give demos. These need to be pre arranged so if people contact me directly I should be able to accommodate.

Regarding holding the discounted price beyond 20 Jan.........

not sure - let me think about it! At some point, I need to put a "business head" on my shoulders!

Regards

Fraser.

(Incidentally, for those of you living outside the UK, his site uses PayPal even to process debit or credit card payments. Hence, living in France but trying to use UK bank cards registered to a French address just doesn't work - I have had this problem with many other sites. So I will have to order by phone.)

You might find that that may have changed.  A few years ago, I had a similar experience.  I wanted to buy some wargames miniatures from an American company that used Paypal to process payments, and had similar difficulties.  Their screens couldn't cope with a British credit card and a Bulgarian address.  However, a couple of years ago, I found out that they seem to have sorted things out.  I now have a Paypal account that I use successfully, that uses the British credit card, and my Bulgarian address.

Edit:  By the way, thank you for all the useful information on the DCC controller.

Edited by Richard Lee

You might find that that may have changed.  A few years ago, I had a similar experience.  I wanted to buy some wargames miniatures from an American company that used Paypal to process payments, and had similar difficulties.  Their screens couldn't cope with a British credit card and a Bulgarian address.  However, a couple of years ago, I found out that they seem to have sorted things out.  I now have a Paypal account that I use successfully, that uses the British credit card, and my Bulgarian address.

Edit:  By the way, thank you for all the useful information on the DCC controller.

Thanks Richard - but still a problem between French PayPal and the UK version. It simply refused to let me change the billing address to a French one when trying to pay in sterling on a UK  card, when trying to buy an ACE. But you give me hope for the future!