Dapol 08

Kickstart

Swindon 08s - http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=538(and everythin' else allocated there)

It doesn't look like D3979 had much of an official Swindon life - http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=3979&loco=3979

HTH

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for that resource - very useful.

No it looks like D3979 may have been used 'on test' to help shunt the works for a very short period of time then?!

I shall have a trawl through and try and find one that was in the Swindon area for a little while longer LOL!

Kindest regards and happy New Year,

CME

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please stop posting photos. I'm almost tempted to move Cheapside Yard forward a few decades, but it would mess up my plans for both standard and narrow gauge stock for it! :scratchhead:

Well, the build dates for the Class 08 is 1952-1962. Perhaps in the 1960s an 08 was leased to keep the company going just before the industry shut down circa 1970.

You might be able to back-date these to the English Electric D3/6 type built from 1934 and say that one was on loan from the War Department to keep industry moving.

Edited by hartleymartin

Well, the build dates for the Class 08 is 1952-1962. Perhaps in the 1960s an 08 was leased to keep the company going just before the industry shut down circa 1970.

You might be able to back-date these to the English Electric D3/6 type built from 1934 and say that one was on loan from the War Department to keep industry moving.

As my serious O gauge modelling is set in 1905, and Cheapside Yard is supposed to be a quickie layout where I can run stock for that period as I build it, even 1934 is pushing it a bit!

• RMweb Premium

I asked Richard about timescales and he hopes to have the final livery samples sent over for approval by early March in which case they may be on show at the Kettering show. Hopefully in the shops by July . . . . ? ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just being doing a little research, using the excellent BR Database site which Andy Y linked to above, to find out where each of the locos which Dapol have selected for the initial run were based over the course of their working lives.

Just in case anyone else is interested...

There are six different versions listed on the Tower Models site at the moment as being in the first batch and, seemingly, four were basically southern locos (someone at Dapol obviously has a fascination with Hither Green and Eastleigh!!). Of the remainder, 13282 was a Scottish Region loco until moved to Thornaby in the mid 70s and 13240 was at from York new then Holbeck.

I thought I'd share just in case it was useful to someone else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned in the post above yours, I was told that there may be a sample at the Kettering Show (5th March)

As far as I know there was nothing to show - unless anyone is aware of the loco being hidden away under the Lionheart stand ?

As far as I know there was nothing to show - unless anyone is aware of the loco being hidden away under the Lionheart stand ?

That is a shame, but I want to be positive and support Dapol on this one... they seem to have had enough stick in recent times, on a multitude of matters. I am sure when it does arrive it will be worth the wait and will be very well recieved, just as the Terrier has been.

I've just being doing a little research, using the excellent BR Database site which Andy Y linked to above, to find out where each of the locos which Dapol have selected for the initial run were based over the course of their working lives.

Just in case anyone else is interested...

There are six different versions listed on the Tower Models site at the moment as being in the first batch and, seemingly, four were basically southern locos (someone at Dapol obviously has a fascination with Hither Green and Eastleigh!!). Of the remainder, 13282 was a Scottish Region loco until moved to Thornaby in the mid 70s and 13240 was at from York new then Holbeck.

I thought I'd share just in case it was useful to someone else.

Well just been looking at this further and it is a little confusing... the running numbers of the locos to be produced are very different in different places! Dapol/Hattons/Rails etc list one batch whereas Tower Models list a completely different lot! So take your pick for the time being (although the latter is the most up-to-date), but all will undoubtedly become clear of the coming months. I've compiled the details for my own benefit so just though I'd share in case anyone is as sad as me! (number in brackets is the year!)

Dapol Website: http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_299_328

• D3048 – Green Late Crest – Norwood Jct (54) Guildford (62) Feltham (67) Eastleigh (72) Old Oak Common (74) Ebbw Jct (76) W/D (79)
  • 13115 – Green Early Crest – Shrewsbury (55)Stourbridge Jnct (55) Bescot (64) Ryecroft (66) Bescot (67) Doncaster (76) Cambridge (76) W/D (77)
  • 08529 – Blue – Hornsea (59) Finsbury Park (60) Hitchin (61) Finsbury Park (71) W/D (05)
  • D3084 – Green Late Crest – Nottingham (54) Crewe South (66) Crewe Diesel (67) Llandudni Jct (68) Chester (72) Holyhead (73) Birkenhead Mollington St (74) W/D (83)

Tower Models: http://www.tower-models.com/

• D3043 – Green Late Crest – Hither Green (54) Ashford Chart Leacon (55) Hither Green (64) Eastleigh (72) Swindon (73) Eastleigh (75) W/D (82)
  • 13282 – Green Early Crest – Motherwell (56) Hamilton West (63) Thornaby (75) W/D (81)
  • D3045 – Blue – Hither Green (54) Ashford Chart Leacon (55) Feltham (62) Eastleigh (68) W/D (72)
  • D3219 – Green Late Crest – Norwood Jct (55) Brighton (55) Eastleigh (70) W/D (79)
  • 13240 – Black Early Crest – York (56) Holbeck (72) W/D (85)
  • 08202 – Blue – Hither Green (56) Norwood Jct (62) Feltham (62) Eastleigh (69) W/D (89)

I must admit the difficultly will come down to choosing one... Black, Green and Blue are all attractive for different reasons! 

David

Edited by south_tyne

I must admit the difficultly will come down to choosing one... Black, Green and Blue are all attractive for different reasons! 

David

I couldn't agree more... They are all attractive. Sad I prefer the more modern era versions. Something about me prefers the post-TOPS numbering scheme, so I prefer the 08XXX over the DXXX. From that list it's only the BR Blue version that has the 08XXX numbering. I would ideally love to have an EWS, FGW/GWR, HNRC etc...

I couldn't agree more... They are all attractive. Sad I prefer the more modern era versions. Something about me prefers the post-TOPS numbering scheme, so I prefer the 08XXX over the DXXX. From that list it's only the BR Blue version that has the 08XXX numbering. I would ideally love to have an EWS, FGW/GWR, HNRC etc...

I would imagine it is a certainty that there will be a post-1994 variant in the second batch which appears. Just depends on if you are willing to wait? Originally when announced there was to be an EWS one but that was cancelled for another Green one so think. I am starting from a blank slate in 0 Gauge... I've previously modelled '70s blue in 4mm scale but have recently up-scaled and have yet to decide whether to go '50s/'60s/'70s for my new venture! I am heading towards 1960s but looking at some pictures, I think the 08 looks stunning in black with a cycling lion symbol... so that is very tempting!!