Dapol 08

Kickstart

There were 2 Class 08 locomotives on display today at Ally Pally. One undecorated and a rather fine looking BR Black shunter. I took these photos in case anyone is interested.

Edwin C.

That looks STUNNING in black! And the North Eastern region example to boot... Doesn't help the decision making over which one to go for!  :dontknow:

PS - I contacted Dapol last week to clarify which liveries/numbers would be in the initial batch and it is those on Tower website:

• D3043 – Green Late Crest – Hither Green (54) Ashford Chart Leacon (55) Hither Green (64) Eastleigh (72) Swindon (73) Eastleigh (75) W/D (82)
  • 13282 – Green Early Crest – Motherwell (56) Hamilton West (63) Thornaby (75) W/D (81)
  • D3045 – Blue – Hither Green (54) Ashford Chart Leacon (55) Feltham (62) Eastleigh (68) W/D (72)
  • D3219 – Green Late Crest – Norwood Jct (55) Brighton (55) Eastleigh (70) W/D (79)
  • 13240 – Black Early Crest – York (56) Holbeck (72) W/D (85)
  • 08202 – Blue – Hither Green (56) Norwood Jct (62) Feltham (62) Eastleigh (69) W/D (89)

To give them some deserved praise, I got a reply within half an hour of my inquiry through the website. Well done Dapol  :yes:

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Terrific effort from Dapol!! Hopefully they get the QA right with these, it was a bit sad that the otherwise excellent OO Class 73 was let down by some poor QA (although I also think a lot of the class 73 comments were over the top). Provided that Dapol get the quality right this could be an O gauge game changer and I really think they deserve to hit the jack pot with it.

• Like 1

Rule number 1 - simples :)

So I need to build one of these then!

http://www.tvandfilmprops.com/props-for-sale/film-props-for-sale/h-g-wells-the-time-machine-full-size-working-movie-replica-for-sale/

It's bad enough that my Ixion Hudswell Clarke is as built in the late 1920s, but at least with some alterations I can backdate it. But a 1950s diseasal is pushing it a bit for 1905!

• RMweb Gold

How can I get away with running one alongside my Terriers on the Kent & East Sussex Railway in 1905?

Take the Terriers off? and then acquire a few appropriate wagons then you have a 2 epoque layout....subject to any building or scenic paradoxes of course - Rule 1 still applies...

• Like 1

Very, very impressed.

attachicon.gifDapol_08_1s.jpg

attachicon.gifDapol_08_2s.jpg

Thanks for Posting those lovely photos Andy! :)  :imsohappy:  :yes:

Mines on order - has been for a few months - AND it looks like Dapol have done a cracking job (always easier to 'see' a model when painted as opposed to when its 'in the white' - well to my eyes it is! :mosking: ).

If Dapol are reading this Thread (if not why not :P  :)  :laugh: ), then, please, please make sure that that the appropriate 21 pin PCB and Suppression is sorted before release and that a model or two tested in this regard, and please, please take a leaf out of Ixion and Minvera's book and use better/more appropriate packaging...then all will be well ie 10/10! :good:  :yahoo:  :imsohappy:

Kindest to all,

CME 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

. . . . . . . please take a leaf out of Ixion and Minvera's book and use better/more appropriate packaging...  

No reason not to - it's been mentioned in various places that they all come from the same factory - as will the new Class 15 from Little Loco Co.

No reason not to - it's been mentioned in various places that they all come from the same factory - as will the new Class 15 from Little Loco Co.

Hi Mike,

Indeed, all made in the same factory and that particular factory are very good at thinking for themselves and outside of the box in terms of innovation, so all should be well, and yet I still have my Terrier to sort though, re 21 pin PCB and some damage issues to do with Terrier's lack lustre packaging (which differs from Ixion's and Minerva's).

Nuff said though, hopefully Dapol will have employed continuous improvement so that these fine 08 models get to us all safe and sound.

Kindest,

CME

• RMweb Premium

I cannot wait to see this in Blue, however I've noticed that the version I'd pre-ordered 7D-008-002 is now listed as D3045, not 08xxx as expected. Wouldn't want anyone else getting tripped up by the change. Have contacted the retailer in question for clarification.

I cannot wait to see this in Blue, however I've noticed that the version I'd pre-ordered 7D-008-002 is now listed as D3045, not 08xxx as expected. Wouldn't want anyone else getting tripped up by the change. Have contacted the retailer in question for clarification.

I agree that there is confusing information out there with regard to liveries and running numbers. However, after going directly to Dapol to clarify, the list I posted above is what will come forward in this first batch. Obviously subject to any future change but that is straight from the horse's mouth as of last week...

David

Edited by south_tyne

• RMweb Premium

I agree that there is confusing information out there with regard to liveries and running numbers. However, after going directly to Dapol to clarify, the list I posted above is what will come forward in this first batch. Obviously subject to any future change but that is straight from the horse's mouth as of last week...

David

I saw the list you'd posted above (very helpful btw), the clarification I've sought from the retailer is that the version I'd pre-ordered back in March 2012 is now listed as a pre-TOPS loco number (not what I wanted).

Wouldn't want others opening their parcels to find something in green when they'd originally ordered black etc.

Edit: Just confirmed by the retailer the version I had pre-ordered had changed.

Martin

Edited by maq1988

I saw the list you'd posted above (very helpful btw), the clarification I've sought from the retailer is that the version I'd pre-ordered back in March 2012 is now listed as a pre-TOPS loco number (not what I wanted).

Wouldn't want others opening their parcels to find something in green when they'd originally ordered black etc.

Edit: Just confirmed by the retailer the version I had pre-ordered had changed.

Martin

Martin,

yes I see your point, thanks for clarifying it is useful, and please accept my apologies if my post came across as condescending in any way (that wasn't the intention at all).

David

Will these have working marker lights?

Good question. My first search drew a blank but you set me searching again. According to Tower Models, yes: directional lighting. I hope lighting control is a bit more sophisticated than that – shunting lights would be the icing on the cake. (A very rich-looking cake, I think.)