Late start or slow on the uptake as usual.

skipepsi

• RMweb Premium

While RMWEB was missing from my evenings I looked at what I had done so far on my OO shunty plank and decided I disliked it the plywood was too thick and heavy as well as bowed yes it had been free but that was it.

The new plan is based around a piece of ply 6mm thick and 52 inches by 24 inches which will aquire softwood framing shortly. On the lower level there will be an inglenook and a line off under a series of arches, on the arches is a double track part of a station or perhaps a parcel depot. The lower level is going to be in OO (peco code 75)and the upper in P4 probably plastic sleepers and chairs. More to follow later.

Guest oldlugger

This is an interesting idea Mick; I've never come across two different standard gauge representations in 4mm before. Is this to give an idea of scale distance or because you have a lot of OO gauge stock and would like to experiment with P4 as well? Keep us posted on developments!

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

To be truthful it is more about a lack of cash and time to convert everything I own to P4 and wanting something running. Eventualy I will have a P4 layout but at this time the living arrangements for the future are unclear,

• RMweb Premium

post-2791-126711108755_thumb.jpg

This is a simple track plan, I omitted to mention the through line which allows either expansion when funds and space allow or a front operated fiddle yard/traverser. The idea of mixing the gauges came from a pregrouping Midland layout I saw on here it was a mix of EM and OO IIRC, and very nicely done too.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

At last I have added a frame to the plywood and I am waiting for the glue to dry. Modifications to the trackplan are already being considered ie making the P4 section extend out over the first running line supported on girders.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today I managed to paint the base board a very suitable battleship grey, hopefully it will be dry tomorrow and track laying can begin. The raised P4 line will be added once the OO line is in its final place. A new track plan and a couple of pictures are to follow soon.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Last night after much dithering I have finally settled on a trackplan it just remains to try out some stock to make sure it will work as an inglenook as well as a shunty plank. Photos will follow after the transfer is completed, optimism from me what is the world coming to.

• RMweb Premium

Bob came round and gave me a hand to wire up it all worked first time but one point seems to have developed a dead section so a slight hiccup and a days delay to ballasting. I managed to take two pictures before the camera died so I will try and upload them. One has worked the other is in cyberspace somewhere!

post-2791-35977_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Although last night I got the layout powered everywhere realisticly it is only going to be ballasted track at best by the judging day, the P4 section hasn't even been started yet. I am therefore withdrawing from the challenge and will try and develop a layout thread instead.

Archived