Revolution Ben

Firstly a big thumbs up for putting together another excellent plan so quickly but can I ask how the expressions of interest work with this project.

For the pendo there is only 1 route and 1 main livery so people were unlikely to be put off if their number wasn't chosen as the model would fit their general requirements.

With the 320/1/2 there are so many geographical areas and such a livery split that your chosen livery not making the final cut would mean that the model itself may no longer be relevant and may put you off altogether.

Sorry if this has already been explained elsewhere

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I think we are all keen that the 321 generates enough interest for numerous liveries to be produced but they are much more complex than the Pendo and thiis is going to be something we have to address..

The Pendolino is fairly straightforward - with the exception of he Alstom model they are all the same basic livery but just feature different numbers, names and some other lettering or logos.

For the 321s, the different liveries are a much bigger job. Each is really a complete repaint requiring new artwork and paint masks to be prepared, and entirely separate production lines to be created. There may even be as yet unknown licensing issues to consider. Realistically, the minimum run for any such livery has to be at least 250 units.

If we only just get to a thousand units then in theory that's only four liveries. That may leave some of us having to make some tough decisions, though of course many of the liveries have crossed over.

cheers

Ben A.

How about an option to have a 'primed only' livery Ben?.

If we are honest about it there's no way even a major manufacturer looking to throw money down the drain would produce all of those livery varients, so some folk would doubtless set to with the repainting, either doing it themselves or getting someone like Mercig, CJM etc involved.  Perhaps a 'primed only' unit might be an attractive option to those whose livery choice doesn't make the cut?

Paul

Having the undercoat applied will suit some of the liveries (Strathclyde PTE, ScotRail, Northern Metro, First and Abellio). These liveries have a more basic design and if the main coat of paint can be applied then decals can be applied by the customer. 

This however only works for simpler liveries. And not the more complex ones. So maybe if each of the liveries that I have listed crosses the 250 mark maybe it can be done.

Cheers

Rusty

• RMweb Gold

Hi big P and others,

Rapido do offer undecorated versions of their US models, as that's quite a popular alteranative in the States that's never really caught on over here.

My view is that a Vanilla model - fully painted but wth the sides and doors left white - is the ideal solution since this lends itself to being further decorated with decals or vinyls. This of course is increasingly what's happening on the real railway with newer trains delivered in very plain base liveries for the individual TOC to add their own temporary markings.

I had previously thought that the Abellio variant might be self selected by punters as a basis for this, but it maybe that a proper vanilla version - with white doors and no numbers - suits people better.

As has been pointed out, the first thing to do is to see if we even get close to the minimum order number.

Then we can start the real development process. Hopefully as CADs and preproduction models are shown more people will come on board (as has happened with the Pendolino) and then when we approach the point of ordering we can work through the livery variations and for those that don't make the cut we can offer customers the option to switch to another livery that might work for them or opt for the Vanilla variant.

The only problem with this is that of course the Vanilla version would not be any cheaper than any other livery variant, but the customer would still have to buy decals or vinyls,..

What do people think?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi big P and others,

Rapido do offer undecorated versions of their US models, as that's quite a popular alteranative in the States that's never really caught on over here.

My view is that a Vanilla model - fully painted but wth the sides and doors left white - is the ideal solution since this lends itself to being further decorated with decals or vinyls. This of course is increasingly what's happening on the real railway with newer trains delivered in very plain base liveries for the individual TOC to add their own temporary markings.

I had previously thought that the Abellio variant might be self selected by punters as a basis for this, but it maybe that a proper vanilla version - with white doors and no numbers - suits people better.

As has been pointed out, the first thing to do is to see if we even get close to the minimum order number.

Then we can start the real development process. Hopefully as CADs and preproduction models are shown more people will come on board (as has happened with the Pendolino) and then when we approach the point of ordering we can work through the livery variations and for those that don't make the cut we can offer customers the option to switch to another livery that might work for them or opt for the Vanilla variant.

The only problem with this is that of course the Vanilla version would not be any cheaper than any other livery variant, but the customer would still have to buy decals or vinyls,..

What do people think?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I think this would work well. But how about paying a bit extra for a livery that is not selected as one of the main ones? That way everyone would have the opportunity to get their own livery choice. Just a suggestion....

I think you are right about the CAD drawings, once the model goes into this stage, there will be many more joining in to obtain a model as it will become more real and the scenario about having to choose selected liveries hopefully will not come in to play.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

A 'primed only' model would be useful as it saves me all the hassle of stripping the factory finish and can be ready for painting in my chosen livery.  Certainly if this project goes ahead and NSE doesn't make the cut then I'd go for a 'primed only' version as opposed to stripping another livery.  I see where you're going with the painted all white version, but for me that'd be the same as any other livery - straight to the paint stripper!

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Paul,

I need to check but I am fairly sure that the factory won't be willing to ship models that have been primed only.  I think it's either undecorated, or with the paint sealed and varnished.  This of course creates a good base for vinyls, if not repainting.

When you say primed only, do you want the ends painted yellow and the windscreen (black) and window frames painted?  Or do you want to do that yourself?   If the latter I suspect you would be in a very small minority!

Incidentally, you may not need to worry as, at the moment, NSE is the second most popular selection.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Incidentally, you may not need to worry as, at the moment, NSE is the second most popular selection.

cheers

Ben A.

Makes me want to know the livery in 1st place now!

My guess is London Midland, to go with all of the pendolinos that have been bought!

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Anyone looking to model the ECML could include a 321 as this evidence shows here. 321's on a Kings Cross to Doncaster service seen at Grantham!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-3hD339xc

321s were borrowed for bank holiday weekend additional services in the very early days of the ECML electrification, circa 1988-89, as well as more recently, when the West Yorkshire units were borrowed during a shortage of Mk4 coaches.

When new, the units were often test run from York Works to Peterborough under their own power before entering service.

These days, the 320s and 321s are still frequent visitors to the ECML travelling to/from Doncaster Works for refurbishment and repainting.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Morris,

We are just over a third of the way there for this model.

I think the important thing is to get the word out. It will hopefully get a mention in the next issue of the N Gauge Journal, and of course Warley is a good opportunity to publicise the project. I think Mike and I will probably have to put a deadline on this at some point, longer than Kickstarter of course but still probably necessary to focus minds.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Hello Morris,

We are just over a third of the way there for this model.

I think the important thing is to get the word out. It will hopefully get a mention in the next issue of the N Gauge Journal, and of course Warley is a good opportunity to get the word out. I think Mike and I will probably have to put a deadline on this at some point, longer than Kickstarter of course but still probably necessary to focus minds.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

That doesn't seem like a bad result in 3 weeks since the announcement. Let's hope October brings another third at least then we are almost there. Just need everyone who has already registered to order an extra unit each!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1