Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks

We've just put the initial reflections on the results of the expressions of interest for the 21/29 and 320/321/456 on our website.

Short version:

Class 320/321 - subject to pricing (which we are still discussing with Rapido) then this project should be possible. We have some hard choices to make on liveries! NSE and LM are goers and we can probably offer 2 numbers for each of those liveries.  For the rest some hard decisions to make.

Class 456 - a bit more mixed response to the 456 which means that we need to do a bit more thinking to see how we could make it work.

You can see much more detail on our website.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 3

Hello folks

We've just put the initial reflections on the results of the expressions of interest for the 21/29 and 320/321/456 on our website.

Short version:

Class 320/321 - subject to pricing (which we are still discussing with Rapido) then this project should be possible. We have some hard choices to make on liveries! NSE and LM are goers and we can probably offer 2 numbers for each of those liveries.  For the rest some hard decisions to make.

Class 456 - a bit more mixed response to the 456 which means that we need to do a bit more thinking to see how we could make it work.

You can see much more detail on our website.

Cheers, Mike

Sounds like positive news Mike. NSE versions for me would be great as I'm modelling late 80's and I'm sure the LM version will be just as popular seeing as your Pendolino will go hand in hand with it.

Thank you for the update and keep us posted on prices and timelines.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good news on the 320/321. I'll buy one or two regardless of livery, BTW have you considered DCC sound for them as an option, maybe it was discussed earlier, but I've forgotten.

Thanks once again to you and Ben for all the good work.

Hopefully this will convince everyone that electrics are much better than boring old modernisation plan diesels.  :jester:

I know, I'm a bad boy, I'll get back in my box now.

John P

I suppose the fairest way would be the most popular of the Yorkshire and Scottish liveries?

I put down an original 321/9 in WY Metro livery, but would swap to one of the later Northern liveries if necessary.

Good news that it seems another Revolution project will come to fruition!

• RMweb Gold

BTW have you considered DCC sound for them as an option, maybe it was discussed earlier, but I've forgotten.

Yes, unless there is a very good reason not to we will offer DCC sound on all our models.

I suppose the fairest way would be the most popular of the Yorkshire and Scottish liveries?

For the Yorkshire that might be the case, for the Scottish livery the best compromise might be the carmine and cream livery to appeal to those at either end of the date spectrum!

Cheers, Mike

Really glad to hear that the project is (99% certain) to go ahead! The original livery list was pretty much exhaustive, so its inevitable there would be some tricky decisions to make as the results would inevitably be spread quite thin. I'm not surprised that one and Abellio are not going forward, "one" being short lived (and would it be early metallic version or later dull version?) and Abellio is a bit boring. 

Surely the fairest thing would be to have one dedicated livery per route, plus NSE, so from your revised shortlist:

• West Coast AND Anglia: NSE (guaranteed)
  • West Coast: London Midland (guaranteed)
  • East Anglia: First Great Eastern (?)
  • Yorkshire: WYPTE Metro (?) OR Northern (?)
  • Scotland: SPT Orange (?) OR SPT Carmine and Cream (? - best compromise) OR Scotrail Saltire (?)

In the end I registered interest for 5 units (2x NSE, 2 x fGE, 1 x 'one') and I'm prepared to stick with that number even if costs rise a bit, perhaps just 4 if they rise significantly. 

When you say there will be undecorated and white primed options, that doesn't sound like much difference. By white primed do you mean (or could you do?) "ghost" livery - white base colour, but with dark grey roof and corridor ends, data panels on ends, yellow warning panel and cantrail stripe applied. Thats effectively very little different from current Abellio livery (just spray on the grey stripe at bottom and coloured doors) but could also serve as a basis for full-side decals (printed on clear decal paper) for pretty much any other livery.

Justin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Justin,

Undecorated is just that - a fully working model that has not been painted in any way. For various reasons, the cost of such a model is actually no different to us than a painted version, however the advantage of undecorated is that there is no minimum number so even if we only had, say, 25 orders for such a model we could do it.

But as costs are the same we thought that a better option might be a plain white model that gives the modeller a "step up" to producing the version they want. The advantage here is that the yellow ends, light clusters, window frames, underframes etc would all be painted. All the modeller then needs to do is paint, vinyl or decal the bodysides to get the variant they want. Of course from the factory point of view this is no different to any other painted model and needs to reach the minimum number to set up the paint shop.

There has been a bit of discussion about this previously in the thread.

They way things are going to work now is that each livery, going forward, needs to generate enough orders to reach the minimum. A couple - LM and NSE - have already done that while some of the others are close. It will become clear that some liveries (as we have already seen with One and Nat Ex) are never going to make it, and we will then be asking anyone back these to switch. At this point I can see the plain white option, while not actually prototypical in itself, becoming the best second choice for a signficant number.

And if nothing else, it may answer once and for all the question about whether the UK market actually wants undecorated or similar models.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Hi Gang,

If it was a question of a choice between unpainted and white with yellow ends.....I feel unpainted is the way ahead as the myriad of different yellow ends for those liveries that won't be produce is wide and varied.

Also, as Ben says, unpainted is an easy production run where painted (even plain white) needs a minimum print run.

However, I'm not the decision maker...

Later,

Stu from EGDL

Thanks for explaining the practicalities of unpainted v. white Ben, makes a lot more sense now. Makes sense to offer it as another "livery" and see if it makes the cut, although I would be concerned about people getting frustrated if "their" first choice didn't make it, got their hopes up for white, and that didn't make it either - in light of which maybe just listing undecorated might be preferable? 

That said, the yellow front is remarkably consistent between all liveries. Unlike e.g. Turbostars, the extent and shape of the yellow hasn't varied between liveries - it is defined by a panel line where the lights meet the faring above the coupling, and below the windscreens. In fact the panel above the windscreens is similarly consistently off-black, the same as the windscreen frames, in every livery. 

Justin

Sorry, I'd not read the website when I made my earlier post. An undecorated/plain white example would do me fine, I'm happy to paint myself and saving the job of stripping an original livery is a bonus.

My only concern given the fragility of N gauge would be then making sure the model is easy to disassemble/reassemble. I'm not sure how this would be controlled but glazing for example, could the factory be instructed not to glue these in place on undecorated models so there's no risk of damage removing it? May be overcomplicating things a bit at this stage.

Undecorated should please anyone who was after an Abellio Greater Anglia one anyway - they'll only have to paint the doors red and stick a transfer on!

If there is literally no minimum for undecorated models, then could thought be given to offering all three types of unit (320, 321/4, 321/9)?

You see, from what I can work out, of those models you are looking at, the 321/9 seems to be the closest fit to a 322 (just two windows are different I think) and on my layout I'd like some of those in addition to a 321/4 (preferably Silverlink if I'm honest) and a 'Metro' 321/9. An undecorated model (or potentially a primed white version) would suit me perfectly for the 322s. A painted example would also work I guess, but might be a bit more effort.

I'm sure that those who want a Saltire 320 could manage with some transfers and could probably 'block out' the unnecessary window(s) as required.

Hi,

Not sure if this had already been asked but is there any mileage in producing dummy 4 car sets so we can run them with a powered set to form the 8 car sets frequently seen.

Just a thought....

Best regards,

Jeremy

Rapidos US newsletter talked about their "Cabbage" unts coming up (essentially old locos converted into DVTs) and they found the price differance between powered/unpowered was so marginal it wasn't worth it. Same might apply here.

• RMweb Gold

I think we have to be careful with some of the requests - we are producing niche but still mass-market RTR trains not individual requests! Where things are practical we might be able to do things but please don't be surprised or offended if the answer is no!

I'll try to answer some of the questions now.

Not sure if this had already been asked but is there any mileage in producing dummy 4 car sets so we can run them with a powered set to form the 8 car sets frequently seen.

These are a non-starter for us as the marginal cost of removing the motor is tiny. The alternative is to tool an unpowered chassis which just adds to the costs.

With modern motors running a pair of units shouldn't be an issue.

If there is literally no minimum for undecorated models, then could thought be given to offering all three types of unit (320, 321/4, 321/9)?

I'm sure that those who want a Saltire 320 could manage with some transfers and could probably 'block out' the unnecessary window(s) as required.

We will offer at least one 320 livery and I'd expect it to be produced.

Offering all 3 variants undecorated - we will investigate. For the 321/9 it only works really if we are already producing a painted version (which is a 50% chance it is the livery you want anyway!).

My only concern given the fragility of N gauge would be then making sure the model is easy to disassemble/reassemble. I'm not sure how this would be controlled but glazing for example, could the factory be instructed not to glue these in place on undecorated models so there's no risk of damage removing it? May be overcomplicating things a bit at this stage.

It will depend on how the glazing is fitted - I don't think it is realistic to ask for different assembly instructions for a small number of units. That sounds like a recipe for crossed wires!

Cheers, Mike

Great news about the NSE 321

but not so good about the 320 for me, although I understand and agree with the compromise,  reason being I only model BR and not privatisation.so neither of the later liveries are suitable.

Looks like Scotrail will be getting 321's on loan!!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by scruff
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Gerry,

With the 321 and the 319 it seems very clear that suddenly a vast swathe of possibilities open up...

It struck me earlier that it's a real shame Farish abandoned their plans to do the Meridien Voyager unit all those years ago, as the Midland main line has some fascinating traffic and could make for a very nice model.   Of course if you go back to the days pre-Voyagers then HSTs are an option, albeit with a repaint...

cheers

Ben A.