Revolution Ben

Just seems odd to me that there isn't a London Midland livery being done.

You would think that with the 350, pendolino and 321 being done then a LM one would sell rather well. It's almost like they haven't thought about what other models are out there. I just hope that if and when there are left overs sat on shelves in their stores that they don't withold any future liveries.

At least I won't have to fund a couple of them until they decide to do the LM one.

Alistair

This is a tough one. The 319s have carried more liveries than just about any other class of EMU I can think of (no mean feat in the 21st century).

Original NSE is a no-brainer. The class were introduced in this livery and it lasted almost a decade before being replaced.

Northern is a bold choice as it opens up new areas for the class geographically. They can also run alongside Farish's existing Sprinter fleet to some extent.

For something to bridge the gap, there is a huge choice. The blue and yellow Thameslink livery was widely applied and longer lived than most others the class have received and is good for units running on their "home turf".

London Midland would certainly suit some of the other models available or in the pipeline. Perhaps retailers will take the chance of offering small runs in some of the many other liveries that have been worn.

I think the Northern liveried 319 is a great choice and not just cos I want it.

With the 319 it means that every MU seen in the North West today is available ready to run, except for the Pacer, which Dapol should release soon, the TPE 185 units (please Ben & Mike), and the 323's which should be going to LM later this year.

A re- release of the Voyager would be helpful as well.

John P

With the 321 and the 319 it seems very clear that suddenly a vast swathe of possibilities open up...

If Farish do not offer one, do you think you and Mike would consider commissioning a small run in LM livery (either green or white versions) since they would go so well alongside the Pendo and 321?

maxresdefault.jpg

23421787113_694082e3b9_b.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I don't believe the 319s carry LM livery...319216 carries unbranded Southern livery in the picture above.

These are indeed exciting times for modern modelling. I do believe the Revolution Pendolino and 320/321 projects could well act as a catalyst to kick-start a growing interest in electric multiple unit modelling (building on the 350 and, to a lesser extent, the CEP) that N gauge is particularly suited for.

You are right. There was a graphic mock up done for when they get transferred into the LM pool from up north. But none have actually been rebranded yet.

That would explain why there isn't one due for release. Thanks for clearing that up.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

When Mike and I first thought up a Mk3 unit as a follow up to the Pendolino it was because we assumed such a niche model would never attract the attention of the major manufacturers, at least not in N.

I am delighted that we have been proved wrong, and for the 321 *and* 319 to be available will make (modern) N hugely more attractive to those entering the hobby or planning that new layout, and this can only grow the scale.  I really think Farish are to be applauded for such a brave move.  

It's going to be fantastic to be able to see 321s, 319s, 350s and Pendolinos all passing each other on our layouts!

On a practical note I think the timescales should work quite well for all of us too, as anyone ordering our 321 will have paid for and received their model by early next year, which should give them time to save for the Farish 319 which I suspect will see the light of day in 2018.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that now people know a 319 is coming too, this may drive further 321 sales as people begin to see the very real possibility of modelling a complete range of trains for certain key locations - especially on the southern WCML.

It seems to me like a big win-win for N Gauge!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

319216 is now in full LM livery.

I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to commission the multicolour striped FCC unit that was knocking around for a while!

Tom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...which graphically demonstrates the pace of change on the railways today. Another new livery on these sets, and yes, an ideal accompaniment to the Pendolino and 321.

I can't keep up with it all!

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

More EMUs is always good in my view, whatever the scale :) personally I model in 4mm/EM, and 31x/32x/45x are wrong areas for my interest at this point in time -  although my plan is to be able to cover South Eastern and South Central divisions, so my needs might change at a later time if 4mm models are considered for any of them-, but good luck with the project, judging by what I saw of the Pendolino I'm sure it will be another cracking model :)

Delighted that the 321 project will be getting off the ground and will look forward to purchasing a NSE 321 in due course. Quite disappointed that the orange and black 320s don't appear to be going ahead.

• RMweb Gold

Quite disappointed that the orange and black 320s don't appear to be going ahead.

Hello Nicholas,

That's not quite right!

For a model with lots of liveries the factory will insist on a minimum run for a particular paint job.

In this case, the LM, NSE and First 321s, and the Scotrail 320, have reached this minimum and are going ahead.  None of the remainder have got there yet, but all will be available to order provisionally and over the coming months any that do get to that level will change status from "possible" to "confirmed."

As we go forward, it will also become clear that some other liveries are never going to get there.  These will be removed from the list and those backers will (if they have chosen to) have their order moved to their second choice.  So it may be that the orange Strathclyde livery gets there on the basis that some customers for the crimson and cream version put it as the second choice...

cheers

Ben A.

I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to commission the multicolour striped FCC unit that was knocking around for a while!

This one?

6902122275_24e4bd00e8_z.jpg

(Picture by Neil Davies)

A very brave choice for sure, though 319364 and 319365 were around for a fair while in that livery, and for two operators of the Thameslink franchise.

Given that Farish would have to do the 319/3 (formerly 319/1) for the Northern livery it would be possible. I must admit I'm a little curious to know if Farish are only doing the 319/1 and 319/3. The other sub classes wouldn't be too difficult to make I'm sure, and if they were made, I think 319001 "Driver Mick Winnett" in GTR Thameslink grey would be popular amongst Bedford based staff (so would 319441 in FCC livery (which carried the same name).

Edited by eatus-maximus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's the one. Used to see it frequently when I was using EMT to travel to Sheffield. It certainly stood out from the others!

As Ben mentioned earlier, it's a real shame Farish binned the Meridian a few years back. With the 319 coming, and Dapol's HST, you could have nicely represented the Southern end of the MML in recent years.

Tom.

Hi Ben.I'm unsure whether it is prototypical but were the 321s ever painted in the later NSE scheme that Bachmann illustrate on their NSE 319s? I do appreciate the treacherous waters of colour matching.....

Regards

Gerry- in emu heaven

The first build of 319s had the NSE dark gray from the sides carried round the cab, if we're talking about the image of 319004 on the Farish website that's the livery pictured.

The second build of 319s swapped the dark grey for a much lighter grey (almost white).

The 321s *I believe* all came with the light not the dark grey, if so, they didn't wear the livery that 319004 had.

Weirdly though the 456s which were built later than the 321s went back to the dark grey....

The first build of 319s had the NSE dark gray from the sides carried round the cab, if we're talking about the image of 319004 on the Farish website that's the livery pictured.

The second build of 319s swapped the dark grey for a much lighter grey (almost white).

The 321s *I believe* all came with the light not the dark grey, if so, they didn't wear the livery that 319004 had.

Weirdly though the 456s which were built later than the 321s went back to the dark grey....

All correct. It is worth noting that the 319/1s and 321s in NSE "silver grey" livery still had NSE grey roofs to help hide the dirt since roof washing is not easy on OHEL trains. The 442s which carried the same livery had silver-grey roofs since the carriage washers on the former SR lines could reach there. The 319/0s had roofs in a darker shade of grey (contemporary carriage roof grey perhaps?).

319059x-L.jpg

The 319/1s were distinguishable but the extra skirting below the cab front. Farish seem to be producing both variants, I wonder if they will tool the different fronts properly.

Edited by Karhedron

• 2 weeks later...

This one?

6902122275_24e4bd00e8_z.jpg

(Picture by Neil Davies)

A very brave choice for sure, though 319364 and 319365 were around for a fair while in that livery, and for two operators of the Thameslink franchise.

Given that Farish would have to do the 319/3 (formerly 319/1) for the Northern livery it would be possible. I must admit I'm a little curious to know if Farish are only doing the 319/1 and 319/3. The other sub classes wouldn't be too difficult to make I'm sure, and if they were made, I think 319001 "Driver Mick Winnett" in GTR Thameslink grey would be popular amongst Bedford based staff (so would 319441 in FCC livery (which carried the same name).

I think that would be one of the best (and boldest) models ever made if they did. I would definitely buy two and make them into an eight car. The same goes for the First Capital Connect livery. Quite dissapointed Farish havent decided to do one in FCC as that would be more contemporary than the older Thameslink one and there is yet to be a RTR model with the FCC livery.

Edited by bart2day

• RMweb Gold

<snipped>  The same goes for the First Capital Connect livery. Quite dissapointed Farish havent decided to do one in FCC as that would be more contemporary than the older Thameslink one and there is yet to be a RTR model with the FCC livery.

Hello all,

Just to be absolutely clear, while discussion of the planned Farish 319 is in many ways understandable in this thread, the model Revolution is doing is the 321 and yes, one of the liveries that has already reached the minimum number and will be going ahead is First:

post-420-0-98827500-1457726410_thumb.jpg

Currently they have Great Northern vinyls covering the original First Capital Connect branding:

https://flic.kr/p/spd8dJ

I think we would do the model in the original livery; I am sure one of the decal or vinyl manufacturers could then produce a new branding panel.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2