Guess where

naturol

Cardiff - Ely Tidal Harbour; better known as the Ferry Road Branch............ limit of BR working, the sidings in front were worked by the South Wales Warehouses loco, one time a Peckett, later a Planet 4wDM.

On the horizon we "The Billybanks" ................... you'd need to be from the area to get that one.

Come on Brother, whistle up a hard one !

• Like 1

Excuse the grainy image, but this is enlarged by my iPad and it won't reduce.

The scene is Mickey from Dr Who. Passing a checkpoint, whilst cybermen controlling the zeppelins cruise overhead.

But which bridge is the 66 rumbling over?

post-9901-0-73447600-1442349742.jpg

How do you know I am right, Mike?

Actually there's three other it could be in around Cardiff and that includes Penarth Curve South Jct.

Although only Radyr has the radio mast, er I think!

Also I was railway for nine years so I might know what I am talking about, but that was on the South Western......

So I might be totally wrong.

Radyr (Penarth Branch Jct. - as it once was ?)

Radyr Cricket Club pavilion can be seen through the trees.

There is no truth in the mailicious rumour that many years ago, during the wee small hours, the burglar alarm activated at the cricket pavilion ( located in the field on the left edge of the "Staionmaster's" photo above ), and the local panda car was parked opposite Radyr Quarry 'box ( just visible on the right hand edge of the "Staionmaster's" photo, above ) - to drive to the pavilion would be a journey of several miles. The officers 'allegedly' thumbed a lift on the Radyr Quarry/south end pilot as far Radyr Junction 'box then jogged the rest of the way to the cricket pavilion (it's the "jogging" part that makes this tale suspect). 

The officers would then be faced with a walk back along the unlit, pitch black path that ran parrallel with the Radyr Junction - Llandaff line, stopping to check the security of the PWM on the way.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Radyr (Penarth Branch Jct. - as it once was ?)

Radyr Cricket Club pavilion can be seen through the trees.

There is no truth in the mailicious rumour that many years ago, during the wee small hours, the burglar alarm activated at the cricket pavilion ( located in the field on the left edge of the "Staionmaster's" photo above ), and the local panda car was parked opposite Radyr Quarry 'box ( just visible on the right hand edge of the "Staionmaster's" photo, above ) - to drive to the pavilion would be a journey of several miles. The officers 'allegedly' thumbed a lift on the Radyr Quarry/south end pilot as far Radyr Junction 'box then jogged the rest of the way to the cricket pavilion (it's the "jogging" part that makes this tale suspect). 

The officers would then be faced with a walk back along the unlit, pitch black path that ran parrallel with the Radyr Junction - Llandaff line, stopping to check the security of the PWM on the way.

Brian R

The latter being known, surprisingly, in railway circles as 'the black ash path' and referred to as such in official documentation.

And yes, once upon a time it was indeed Penarth Branch Jcn.