Guess where

naturol

The 'paper train' was the 03.45 Cardiff General to Merthyr during the week (wasn't Treherbert a dmu for the 'papers) for which the engine came off a Penalltau trip on weekdays - and was invariably late and equally invariably missed its balance.  And that turned into right fun & games when we were supposedly working strictly to diagram for loco working and I threatened not to provide an engine for the Merthyr news one night because said D68XX was somewhere up the Rhymney.

Mike

In order to refresh a forty year memory I had a browse through some old (late 60s early 70s) WTT's last night.

You are correct in that there was a daily (Mon-Sat) loco hauled Cardiff General - Merthyr 'parcels' + news working which was generally 03:15 off the General, and also spent around 30mins at Pontypridd Goods.

Unusually, I cannot find a balancing working in the WTT.

There is one train, circa 07:20 off Merthyr (Mon-Sat) which does not have the DMU symbol (Inverted triangle) in the WTT, suggesting it to be loco-hauled.

However, that train combines at Pontypridd with the 07:20 off Treherbert, which was a DMU.

Now, on Sundays things changed and there was no early morning to Merthyr, instead there was a 'passenger and parcels' working from Cardiff General - Treherbert, which comprised 2-3 vans off the 00:55 Padd and a BCK which had worked up from Swansea to Cardiff.

In the week the first up DMU to Treherbert was either 'carries mails' or 'passengers and parcels'.

The Sunday Treherbert train was worked by a loco which had run light from Radyr.

The train returned ECS from Treherbert to Canton, the loco running back light to Radyr and stabled, whilst the BCK worked back to Swansea later in the day.

There was also an early morning Cardiff - Bargoed (and/or Rhymney)   DMU marked 'passenger and parcels' or 'carries mails' and which during the mid-60s at least carried tail traffic 'up' the valley.

It's a shame that my lifestyle in the early 70s meant I was either (i) just getting in on a Sunday morning, or (ii) sleeping soundly pre-empting the alarm, when these trains ran so never went out to record them.

In addition, there were a loco hauled few parcels workings between Cardiff and Pontypridd (Goods) during weekdays; usually a 'six-eighter' but sometimes a Hymek, and later a Class 25.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Last one - Maesmawr looking 'down' towards Walnut Tree Jct. etc

Brian R

Another site of remunerative Sundays ;)  (I got on very well with Hughie Jones the DI at Pontypridd and when the Asst DI Les ??? got a job elsewhere the post wasn't filled so there were some extra Sundays on offer and Hughie used to give them to me on the Taff side - fortunately virtually all of the Sunday work at that time was south of Treforest so my opposite numbers at Ponty didn't have much chance to moan although actually Maesmawr was on their patch but Hughie was clever and invariably combined any supervision at Maesmawr with a similar job at Radyr - paid for a Pentax 200mil telephoto and a Spotmatic F).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shot of Treforest

Presumably the two large buildings were a college at that time - now The University of South Wales

Our student let property is just the other side of them in Bertha Street

Theres an embankment along the lane at the top of the street - was that another line?

Phil

The last photo of the 'box is interesting as it shows a couple of vacuum fitted 21 tonners (the "To work within South Wales and Monmouthshire only" is visible on the sides) in the yard; never really a common sight as they were invariably in block trains.

The (undated) photo below is taken from the hillside above Treforest and is looking north towards the station and Pontypridd.

The site of the now University of Glamorgan is on the flat area on the left hand border of the photo.

The Barry Railway which ran through the tunnel to Graig and eventually joined the Taff Vale at Trehafod can be seen along the bottom edge.

The four tracks of the TVR mainline lead off right towards Maesmawr, Taffs Well, Radyr and Cardiff.

Treforest Jct is located near the water tower where lines lead off and climb to (i) join the Barry Railway at Tonteg, and (ii) carry on towards Church Village, Cross Inn and Llantrisant.

The earthworks (lower right) on the far side of the TVR main line were for the Cardiff Railway extension from Coryton, through Glan-y-llyn to a junction with the TVR here at Treforest.

Only one train ever accessed the CR extension here before the TVR "threw it's teddy out of the pram" - cue years of costly legal wrangling, all futile for the CR.

Brian R

post-1599-0-61658500-1443467420_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1