Buckden on the Kettering and Huntingdon, and "Cranford Shed"

Ivatt46403

Lamps are in, benches are painted. The lamps don't work yet as I'm going to wait until everything has dried before wiring it all up.

post-19484-0-00108400-1448400415_thumb.jpg

post-19484-0-12233000-1448400417_thumb.jpg

Really need so sort out the platform edging and the gaps under the station house and platform!

Marcus.

Edited by Ivatt46403
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And here's another from the other end, with Ivatt 46403 pulling in with a short passenger with horsebox from Kettering.

attachicon.gifIMG_0304.JPG

Marcus.

That's a great shot Marcus and very evocative of the line.... ;)

Good work on the lamps.  Ingenious use of the Braun tooth brush rings as well!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Thanks!

I do like the lamps - I'm so glad I waited and found the right ones rather than putting up with something.

The next thing I need to source or build is a couple of running in boards. The photos I have seem to suggest they remained LMS hawkey type ones for quite a while, LNERGE of this parish has a friend who has the blue Eastern region boards, and I've seen a photo of a blue ER one for Kimbolton (here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82496-buckden-station-mr/?p=1481134 )

So, I can get either made and will probably go with a hawkeye from here: http://tracksidesigns.co.uk/epages/950001489.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950001489/Products/TSHE0001

Irritatingly (well sort of) whilst searching for the running in boards I found that smith's do a proper LMS platform seat etch:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Smiths_Components_for__OO__.html

Which I'm almost certainly going to have to buy now and replace my lovingly made LSWR ones!

Marcus.

Although it's a pain it's always best going with what you feel is right, so having a bench that isn't quite right will just niggle at you in the long run mate.

Cheers, Paul

You are absolutely right Paul, although I think you and I are going to become each other's worst enemy, reminding us of what we know is true...

Marcus.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks!

I do like the lamps - I'm so glad I waited and found the right ones rather than putting up with something.

The next thing I need to source or build is a couple of running in boards. The photos I have seem to suggest they remained LMS hawkey type ones for quite a while, LNERGE of this parish has a friend who has the blue Eastern region boards, and I've seen a photo of a blue ER one for Kimbolton (here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82496-buckden-station-mr/?p=1481134 )

So, I can get either made and will probably go with a hawkeye from here: http://tracksidesigns.co.uk/epages/950001489.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950001489/Products/TSHE0001

Irritatingly (well sort of) whilst searching for the running in boards I found that smith's do a proper LMS platform seat etch:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Smiths_Components_for__OO__.html

Which I'm almost certainly going to have to buy now and replace my lovingly made LSWR ones!

Marcus.

Hi Marcus

Were Buckenden's running in Hawkseye boards in ER blue? Like some of the stations on the Bedford to Cambridge line, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1LM38VJT8 2min 20 secs shows Lords Bridge sign.

One of my customers had a full size MR seat as her garden seat. She wouldn't sell it as it was really her landlord's, as were the other railway signs including a LMR running in board for Upton station. :no2:

Hi Clive,

Interesting question and nice footage.

I don't have any colour photos of the signs from Buckden, but I think not. Looking carefully at the photos I have there appear to have been two phases of signs. Firstly iron posts with LMS hawkseye signs (which I'm guessing were yellow), and then later concrete signposts with ER blue replacement signs - but these were all new and not repainted hawkseyes.

I'm going to go with the hawkseye signs - although this means I need to fabricate some sligthly more complex posts!

Marcus.

Whilst searching on Google for a copy of one of my favourite images of Buckden to post which demonstrates that (if you look really really closely) the loading gauge was an LMS Midland one (unsurprisingly) - which is fine because I can get a nice one from Scalelink - I have found a bunch of new pictures of Buckden from Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=redgate8&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XBuckden.TRS0&_nkw=Buckden&_sacat=0

Some of which show new sides and new bits. Some of those are very interesting and exciting and I can easily add in. Some parts show things which I've clearly got wrong. Eek!

Marcus.

The platform lamps are now wired up and work very nicely. Casting a warm yellow glow with some nice shadows too.

I've also started to light the windows in the station house. I do like lighting, railways run in the night look really effective I think, but I don't like all the windows to be glowing all of the time. So I've build some little window back units for individual grain of wheat bulbs:

post-19484-0-48842800-1448894279.jpg

They're just little boxes in plasticard, then sprayed black and drilled:

post-19484-0-46833700-1448894281.jpg

Then they're glued to the backs of the windows. I've made the holes big enough, and stopped them up with bluetac, so that in theory I could swap out any failed bulbs - although the top window would be jolly fiddly to do.

I'll do the other windows in time, and then the plan is to have either switch or computer (Raspberry Pi) control so that the platform/yar lights come on at dusk and the station lights go on and off pseudo randomly once it's got dark.

So here in twilight is Ivatt 46403 hauling the evening stopper from Kettering.

post-19484-0-26703100-1448894284_thumb.jpg

Marcus.

• Like 3

"I live quite near Buckden.  Where was the railway and the station - presumably the building's still there but a private house now?"

Unfortunately it has almost gone. If you follow the slip road from the A1 from Buckden and Brampton, the bridge under the A1 was the railway line route. That's why there is a kink on the A1 driving south into Buckden. The road utilises the railway bridge and had to be reinforced years ago to take the heavy A1 traffic.   Another bridge, at the further end, since demolished, is the viewpoint of the photo I posted showing the station. The line headed off to the Offords, swinging around to Huntingdon. The Brampton tip has swallowed most of it.

Edited by Maxwill

Were they gas lights at Buckden? I once saw a model where the platform lights came on one after another as the lamplighters walked down the platform.

I think they were, but I'm not sure. And I was thinking the very same thing - it would be very neat and just the thing for computer control. All three wire into the board from DCC but it shouldn't be an issue to switch them individually.

Marcus.

"I live quite near Buckden.  Where was the railway and the station - presumably the building's still there but a private house now?"

Unfortunately it has almost gone. If you follow the slip road from the A1 from Buckden and Brampton, the bridge under the A1 was the railway line route. That's why there is a kink on the A1 driving south into Buckden. The road utilises the railway bridge and had to be reinforced years ago to take the heavy A1 traffic.   Another bridge, at the further end, since demolished, is the viewpoint of the photo I posted showing the station. The line headed off to the Offords, swinging around to Huntingdon. The Brampton tip has swallowed most of it.

Only "almost" gone? From what I can see from the road there isn't anything still standing? Or is there still some trace?

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I live quite near Buckden.  Where was the railway and the station - presumably the building's still there but a private house now?

cheers

Ben A.

Yes as Maxwill says it's now gone. It stood as a private house (occupied by the former station master I believe) for a long time, and was there when I was a child (I'm in my thirties now) but was demolished when the recycling depot on Brampton road expanded.

Raunds, Cranford and Kimbolton stations on the line still exist as private dwellings, and lots of the bridges are still extant - you go under one on the road Brampton-Grafham (station was just as you entered the village on the left from Ellington but now gone), and you can get to one from the Grafham Water path. And of course there is the very fine viaduct at Thrapston that you can see from the A14.

I should really drive the line and document what's left - Thrapston Midland Road station was demolished quite recently.

Marcus.

• RMweb Premium

I think they were, but I'm not sure. And I was thinking the very same thing - it would be very neat and just the thing for computer control. All three wire into the board from DCC but it shouldn't be an issue to switch them individually.

Marcus.

A lot of country stations like that had oil lamps unless there was a town gas supply, for example the stations between Bedford and Cambridge did, and some retained them for quite a long time (e.g. the Bedford-Bletchley line).

A lot of country stations like that had oil lamps unless there was a town gas supply, for example the stations between Bedford and Cambridge did, and some retained them for quite a long time (e.g. the Bedford-Bletchley line).

Oh so these were probably oil then - thinking about it the station was so far from anything it probably wasn't on gas. I presume they would still have needed lighting one by one though?

Marcus.

• RMweb Premium

Oh so these were probably oil then - thinking about it the station was so far from anything it probably wasn't on gas. I presume they would still have needed lighting one by one though?

Marcus.

Yes, they would have needed lighting individually.  I presume stations like Buckden were staffed until the line closed or at least had a signalman who could have done it; on the Bedford-Bletchley line where some stations retained oil lights into the 1970s if not longer, although the stations were technically unstaffed there were crossing keepers or signalmen who could have lit them.  A lot of villages like Buckden didn't have a gas supply until after North Sea Gas started in the '70's, and even if they had a town gas supply the station might not have been on it if, as you say, it was a distance from the village or town.

I picked up the new Parkside Dundas LMS cattle wagon (PC87; Diag. 1661) from Modelmania this week and put it together today. I wanted a second one to go with my (unknown manufacturer) other kit - there's a nice Ken Fairey photo in John Rhodes' book of two with different roof profiles marshalled in the front of a passenger train at Kettering. Alas my two have the same roof profile!

Nonetheless it's a nice kit to put together as ever from Parkside. A little more flash than sometimes but nothing a clean up with a file won't fix.

I followed last month's Railway Modeller's lead and added roof bracing:

post-19484-0-62710200-1449250604_thumb.jpg

post-19484-0-06941300-1449250608_thumb.jpg

Marcus

Edited by Ivatt46403
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I picked up the new Parkside Dundas LMS cattle wagon (PC87; Diag. 1661) from Modelmania this week and put it together today. I wanted a second one to go with my (unknown manufacturer) other kit - there's a nice Ken Fairey photo in John Rhodes' book of two with different roof profiles marshalled in the front of a passenger train at Kettering. Alas my two have the same roof profile!

Nonetheless it's a nice kit to put together as ever from Parkside. A little more flash than sometimes but nothing a clean up with a file won't fix.

I followed last month's Railway Modeller's lead and added roof bracing:

attachicon.gifsmall_IMG_1359.JPG

attachicon.gifsmall_IMG_1362.JPG

Marcus

Nice build Marcus.

Do you have a picture of the other mystery cattle wagon?

Cheers,

Mark