Buckden on the Kettering and Huntingdon, and "Cranford Shed"

Ivatt46403

Nice build Marcus.

Do you have a picture of the other mystery cattle wagon?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks - yes here it is:

post-19484-0-79121800-1449253481_thumb.jpg

post-19484-0-19446000-1449253484_thumb.jpg

It's beige plastic, and it doesn't say Cambrian on the bottom..

Marcus.

(and I know I need to fix the roof down ;) )

• Like 1

It is a Slaters kit of a Midland Rly cattle wagon and it did come with an underframe.  Now available from Coopercraft.  AFAIK Slaters only made a body only Cattle in 7mm scale a long time ago, and that was ultimately superseded by a full kit.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• RMweb Gold

Possibly ...

Chris

Is that 'Possibly' a Slaters kit or possibly available from Coopercraft Chris? Or both?

It has certainly built into a nice kit however.

Cheers,

Mark

It is a Slaters kit of a Midland Rly cattle wagon and it did come with an underframe.  Now available from Coopercraft.  AFAIK Slaters only made a body only Cattle in 7mm scale a long time ago, and that was ultimately superseded by a full kit.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Yes that sounds right -certainly looks like that one - I definitely don't remember buying the underframe separately.

Both kits came together very nicely, the wire rails on the Parkside one are much finer than the plastic rod on the the Coopercraft/Slaters kit but that's easily swapped.

Marcus.

Here's the new one fresh from the paintshop. I used Halfords grey aerosol primer, thought about leaving it at that (the roof is just that) but then gave it a brush coat of Phoenix LMS freight wagon grey (P38), then Tamiya Nato Black for the below the solebar as per my copy of "A Illustrated History of LMS Wagons Vol. 1", The inside is Phoenix weathered wood (P990). I'd probably have airbrushed the grey if it wasn't for the fact that I washed my airbrush noodle down the sink last week.

There's a great photoo in An Illustrated History with them all lined up with white painted wheels which I am considering adding, then heavily weathering.

The grey has come out a little more gloss than usual - either I didn't mix it well enough or I was a little impatient with the undercoat. I'll be weathering it anyway - or what happens if you apply matt varnish to a gloss surface??

HMRS transfers are finally ordered (by mail! with a cheque!) so I might actually have some LMS decals on my wagon fleet soon.

post-19484-0-14567700-1449316116_thumb.jpg

post-19484-0-91515300-1449316112_thumb.jpg

For comparison, as I managed (accidentally) to do a very similar pose, where's the other, Slaters/Coopercraft one:

post-19484-0-85501500-1449316454_thumb.jpg

Marcus.

• Like 1

Is that 'Possibly' a Slaters kit or possibly available from Coopercraft Chris? Or both?

It has certainly built into a nice kit however.

Cheers,

Mark

Apologies for the ambiguity.  I meant "possibly available" as I have not seen one on sale for quite a while.

Chris

Apologies for the ambiguity. I meant "possibly available" as I have not seen one on sale for quite a while.

Chris

Looks like you can get it direct:

[Edited to remove link - looks as though you're unlikely to get one any time soon]

Marcus.

Edited by Ivatt46403

Station signs arrived from Trackside Signs so I made a start on the sign boards from various bits and pieces of plasticard and rod. Think I need to file the pitch down a little more but I'm happy with the start I've made:

post-19484-0-96096300-1449533480_thumb.jpg

I've made them too tall so I can plant them, and am now faced with my standard "what colour were they" dilemma. They were replaced before the colour photos I have, and in the b&w ones they look darker than the lampposts etc, so it may be marroon, with a white board.

Marcus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!

It's been a miserable wet Sunday in Bristol today so what better than a spot of modelling to start the year. I decided to get on with this etched barrow kit for Buckden:

post-19484-0-07006000-1451838354_thumb.jpg

A combination of soldering and superglue gave me a nice little barrow:

post-19484-0-87844200-1451838356_thumb.jpg

Which a quick daub of fresh, bright green paint gave me a new addition to the platform:

post-19484-0-07513800-1451838359_thumb.jpg

Marcus.

• Like 6

Of course what point a luggage barrow without some luggage?

Added here are some modelscene items which came free with Railway Modeller a while back, painted with a base of Phoenix LMS freight bauxite then drybrushed with a little acrylic colour.

post-19484-0-57160100-1451919543_thumb.jpg

Marcus.

• Like 2

In other news we bought a new house yesterday. It's got plenty of space in the garden for an sizeable train shed, but it'll be a little while until we move in and build it. There's also likely to be a six month limbo period where we're in a temporary flat too so Buckden will likely go into storage for a bit. But I'm happy at the stage it's at right now so I'm ok with that.

We went to the Weston Super-Mare show today and saw Ian Goose's lovely Boggs Yard, a minimum, three point 7 mm narrow gauge industrial layout and it got me thinking that a project like that might be a perfect little filler to play with whilst we're in temporary digs/building a super shed. SO I'm considering a minimum space, three point project along the lines of either:

• 7 mm narrow gauge
  • 7 mm industrial
  • 4 mm nuclear sidings (I have a DRS 37 and a flask which I really like)
  • 4 mm ironstone (either narrow or standard guage)

The last of course could keep me in Kettering and Huntingdon territory.

Thoughts anyone?

Marcus.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marcus,

Congratulations on finding a new house.

Some nice projects to consider there as well.

The 4mm Northamptonshire ironstone line would be interesting and easy to do.  With the Model Rail Sentinel, Hornby Sentinel and the forthcoming Hornby Peckett and DJModels Hudswell Clarke there's suitable loco's available.

Alternatively an Ixion Hudswell Clarke with a few PECO 27T iron ore tippler wagons could do the trick. :)

Food for thought! 

Cheers,

Mark

The 4mm Northamptonshire ironstone line would be interesting and easy to do.  With the Model Rail Sentinel, Hornby Sentinel and the forthcoming Hornby Peckett and DJModels Hudswell Clarke there's suitable loco's available.

...or an industrialised Hornby Terrier.....?