Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium

An unusual spot for a photograph, Rob!

According to the Six Bells Junction web site, it looks as though the train was A1A Charters' 1Z12 "The Magnificent Seven" from Stafford to Scarborough via Hull, returning from Scarborough via York.  In that case, the second Class 31 would have been 31549.

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Paul and Rob for those two excellent photo’s of today’s ’Beverley Christmas Carol’ charter train, with 50007 leading and 50044 bringing up the rear. I have to agree that it will be the first time that a class 50 has appeared on the Hull to Scarborough line. Sadly I was not able to go and see the train, but your photo’s help to make up for that.

Well, this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we go back in time to that freezing cold and snowy winter of 1979 and take a look at a 47 at Hull Paragon station. It is 47525, waiting to follow the stock,  amid slush and ice, after bringing in train 1D00, the 08:04 King's Cross to Hull on the 14th February, 1979. I recall all too well the severe snowstorm which happened the following day. It deposited over a foot of snow, and caused major disruption to trains, buses, mail, and power cuts. I had a bad tooth too, but had to wait a few days until I could see my dentist.

5126278521_df249a495e_b.jpg47525 - Hull Paragon by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to a series of photo’s by fishermandave89, on Flickr, we revisit Bridlington and see the big remodelling, in connection with the renewal of bridge 19, on Sunday, 20th March, 1983.

But first, a last view of the layout as it was.

bridlington station 1986

bridlington station 1986

bridlington station 1986

Later, in 1983, the work was completed, and fishermandave89, on Flickr, took this photo’ of a three car class 110 running into Bridlington station over the remodelled trackwork.

bridlington station 1983

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone.  This evening, something special. It is a photo’ of that unique diesel locomotive, HS4000, Kestrel, and the photo’ is courtesy of JohnGreyTurner on Flickr. The photo’ dates from 1970, and is at Dairycoates. The locomotive was in between operating train 4C70/4H66, which was the Stratford Freightliner service. 

4092814458_07712c6d35_b.jpgHull Kestrel by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to a photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, we return to Bridlington, and see a 47, in Swallow livery, at the head of a rake of Mk1’s in the same livery, leaving on an up return excursion train. The date is  the 28th July, 1991.

class 47 leaving bridlington

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, we have another photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, and this is of the preserved SR King Arthur, 777, Sir Lamiel. The date is the 22nd  July, 1990, and the engine and various props were on the platform in connection with the filming of an episode of Poirot for ITV.

HULL 22 JULY 1990

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I seem to recall hearing about that visit of City of Wells to Hull for the filming of that advertisement, but unfortunately I missed seeing it. Well this evening, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we can see how open and desolate looking the land surrounding the railway was, as it goes out from Hull and Dairycoates, back in the mid 1980’s before all the car showrooms and industrial units where built there. Such a difference from when all the marshalling yards were to be seen there.  The photo’ shows 31435, and four early Mkll’s leaving Hull, probably on a service to Manchester. The date being the 26th August, 1985.

4037737167_4801011dbf_b.jpgBarren Railway Landscape by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

On 23/12/2021 at 13:48, micknich2003 said:

Doc, City of Wells did come to Hull, early hours of the morning, I was the signalman at Gylberdyke when it passed.

Best Wishes, Mick.

Hello

A poor quality image of 34092 seen in Hull when the filming took place.

Best wishes to all

Simon

36786218873_a7f6031c6d_c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. I seem to recall hearing about that visit of City of Wells to Hull for the filming of that advertisement, but unfortunately I missed seeing it. Well this evening, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we can see how open and desolate looking the land surrounding the railway was, as it goes out from Hull and Dairycoates, back in the mid 1980’s before all the car showrooms and industrial units where built there. Such a difference from when all the marshalling yards were to be seen there.  The photo’ shows 31435, and four early Mkll’s leaving Hull, probably on a service to Manchester. The date being the 26th August, 1985.

4037737167_4801011dbf_b.jpgBarren Railway Landscape by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, I’d forgotten that the empty area of land in yesterday’s photo’ was, at the time, a nature reserve. Sadly that’s what happens when age creeps up on you. Well, this evening I have a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner on Flickr, and it links in well with that railtour to Beverley from last Saturday and the first visit of a class 50 to Beverley. Well in this evening’s photo’, we go back to the 20th June, 1979, and the visit by way of a running in turn, of 50018. It has to be the ‘Prototype For Everything’ department. 

3899296579_3479b3d686_b.jpgYou lost, sonny??? by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, and Merry Christmas, everyone. So this evening, thanks to a photo’ by The KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Hull Botanic Gardens depot, in July, 1986 and class 37, 37019, is stabled there along with a Mkl SK, and then two DMU cars, a class 124 TBSL, converted from an MBSL, and a class 123 TC. there are several differences between them and hauled Mkl’s,  one being the deeper solebars, and another being the less depth to the windows. I guess they were still there after being withdrawn in May, 1984, whilst they waited for their journey to the scrapyard.

FMCCS442 37019 Botanic Gardens Hull

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, and Merry Christmas, everyone. So this evening, thanks to a photo’ by The KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Hull Botanic Gardens depot, in July, 1986 and class 37, 37019, is stabled there along with a Mkl SK, and then two DMU cars, a class 124 TBSL, converted from an MBSL, and a class 123 TC. there are several differences between them and hauled Mkl’s,  one being the deeper solebars, and another being the less depth to the windows. I guess they were still there after being withdrawn in May, 1984, whilst they waited for their journey to the scrapyard.

FMCCS442 37019 Botanic Gardens Hull

Best regards,

Rob.

Suspect the date is wrong, the Pennine vehicles were very quickly removed for disposal from BG. As someone who worked at BG I don't recall any lingering around past the end of 1984.

Al Taylor.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 24/12/2021 at 21:48, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, I’d forgotten that the empty area of land in yesterday’s photo’ was, at the time, a nature reserve. Sadly that’s what happens when age creeps up on you. Well, this evening I have a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner on Flickr, and it links in well with that railtour to Beverley from last Saturday and the first visit of a class 50 to Beverley. Well in this evening’s photo’, we go back to the 20th June, 1979, and the visit by way of a running in turn, of 50018. It has to be the ‘Prototype For Everything’ department. 

3899296579_3479b3d686_b.jpgYou lost, sonny??? by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

400ers came a few times to use the excursion set when the Doncaster test train wasn't available.

Al Taylor.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Al Taylor for the information regarding the last couple of photo’s, it’s much appreciated. Well, this evening, thanks to another photo’ by The KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Bridlington for a look at a class 31 on the 2nd June, 1976, and it is  31211. The locomotive is working a ballast train coming out of platform 2. 

76 030 020676 31211

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this bank holiday evening I have found a photo’, by Paul Smith, on Flickr, of a sight which not many will have seen before. It shows a class 108, TBSL, 59247, with class 08, 08253, with the TBSL, clearly bent after the collision outside of Hull Paragon station in early 1985. 

08253bg8april85

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to another photo’ by Paul Smith, on Flickr, we can see a 37 entering Hull Paragon station on a DMU replacement service - a time when the Pacers and the first generation units were all proving difficult to keep in service for various reasons.  The 37 is 37031, and it is hauling four early Mkll’s, and a Mkl TSO,  from Bridlington in the late 1980’s.

37031 Hull

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14