Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening I’ve a photo’ by SIMON BEESTON, on Flickr, of 37105, on an engineering train at Beverley, Cherry Tree.  It is stood on the down main, and, if I’m right, it is from November, 1983, when the down main was being relaid. The photo’ is not dated. 

BEVERLEY 000083 37105

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening I’ve a photo’ by SIMON BEESTON, on Flickr, of 37105, on an engineering train at Beverley, Cherry Tree.  It is stood on the down main, and, if I’m right, it is from November, 1983, when the down main was being relaid. The photo’ is not dated. 

BEVERLEY 000083 37105

Best regards,

Rob, I was signalman at the date you quote, the relaying certainly fits, I made a fortune with Saturday nights and 12hr Sundays, plus being redundant travelling time from Hessle Haven. Some of the kits etc I bought with the proceeds remain here and unmade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for that reply. It confirms what I thought, and it’s good to know you made some money from all those weekends with all that overtime being worked.

Well, this evening, we go back in time, a bit, to the 29th December, 1982, and visit Driffield to see one of the Santa Steam Specials passing through on it’s way to Scarborough from Hull, headed by Stanier Black Five, 5305, Alderman A. E. Draper.  The photo’ is courtesy of Neville Wellings, on Flickr. You can see my head in the rear door window of the first coach. I was taking photo’s and making an audio recording too. Sadly I’ve since misplaced the audio recording.

Then, from York, to Selby and Hull, the train was hauled by 777 Sir Lamiel, and 777 was recorded, over the line to Selby at 84 mph. I recall some excitement on the train at the speed being achieved.

5305 approaches Driffield. 29.12.82

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of the KDH archive, on Flickr, we have two photo’s. The first photo’ is a record of how Beverley station was, from the exterior, on the 15th November, 1974.

74 304 151174 Beverley Station

The second photo’ is of Driffield, in August, 1979, when Hull Botanic Gardens Depot was, apparently, always short of DMU’s, and we can see a class 20, 20133, on a short train of Mk1 stock on the 13.40 Bridlington to Hull service. 

79 186 280879 Driffield Wansford Box 20133

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

18 hours ago, Market65 said:

The second photo’ is of Driffield, in August, 1979, when Hull Botanic Gardens Depot was, apparently, always short of DMU’s, and we can see a class 20, 20133, on a short train of Mk1 stock on the 13.40 Bridlington to Hull service. 

This seems to have been a continual problem, I have a couple of photos taken by a family member in about 1964 of a train in Scarbados with an EE3 and a relief/excursion set composed almost entirely of mixed dmu trailer vehicles!  When I finally buy a slide scanner I'll upload them, there's some fun stuff in the collection.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. That’s fascinating, Boris, and I look forward to the day when you are able to scan your photo’s and post them in this thread, they will be most welcome.

Well, this evening, we stay in Driffield, thanks to another photo’ by the KDH archive, on Flickr, and, on the 25th June, 1977, we see 31319, on the 07.45 from Sheffield to Bridlington. Note the remains of a level crossing gate stacked against the station house.

77 096 250677 Driffield 31319

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

I see that the building above the last couple of coaches of the train has yet to gain the timber beams on the gable end. 

Also, I wonder what the electric cable is for that is trailing alongside the down main line?

On 13/01/2022 at 12:45, Boris said:

This seems to have been a continual problem, I have a couple of photos taken by a family member in about 1964 of a train in Scarbados with an EE3 and a relief/excursion set composed almost entirely of mixed dmu trailer vehicles!  When I finally buy a slide scanner I'll upload them, there's some fun stuff in the collection.

BG was short of DMUs at this time due to a the Trans Pennine and Mini Pennines suffering with gearbox and engine problems, Derby and Swindon couldn't supply them fast enough. So the Met Camms were covering for them, and some of the jobs up the branch were covered by using the Leeds and Doncaster parcels sets coupled together and on occasions the trailer cars from the Pennines.

Al Taylor.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, EddieK said:

Also, I wonder what the electric cable is for that is trailing alongside the down main line?

Looks very much like a signalling cable (rather than a telecoms cable). Other than that it's difficult to say. 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. It’s most interesting to learn about the difficulties that were faced by Botantic Gardens DMU fleet. Now, this evening, thanks to another photo’ by the KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Bridlington on the 19th August, 1978, and see, running into the station, a class 25, 25326, on the 08.43, Scarborough to Sheffield service 

78 299 190878 Bridlington 25326

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to another photo’ from the KDH archive, on Flickr, we can see a class 31, 31159, on the 09.28 to Kings Cross via Scarborough - a round about route - and the date is the 17th June, 1978.

Then, from this afternoon, is my present day photo’ which shows how much things have changed over the decades.

78 215 170678 Bridlington 31159

74E88712-F42A-46ED-8BF6-618B42B4EA95.jpeg.1948b98f81a714bc4daedd460c221aaf.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To edit back in the photo’ I took.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, we stay in Bridlington for a look at another class 20, from a photo’ by the KDH archive, on Flickr. It shows Tinsley 20103, shunting the Mkl coaching stock back into the station, ready to form the 18.10 departure back to Hull, on the 24th August, 1979, in that heady fortnight. Note the open guards van door in the BSK.

79 184 240879 Bridlington 20103

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to a photo’ by David Scott on Flickr, we are at Brough, on Saturday the 3rd May, 1980, the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final day, and see the 07.00 a.m., Hull to London King’s Cross train powered by Deltic, 55006. 

7621155024_7401e9edf9_k.jpg55 006 3rd May 1980 on 0700 Hull-Kings Cross at Brough. by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening I’ve found a photo’ by Syd Young, on Flickr, of Hull Paragon station, with a Deltic, class 55, 55014, The Duke Of Wellington’s Regiment, having, earlier in the evening, worked in on the Hull Executive, and now waiting to depart on train 1D62, the 21.00 Hull to Doncaster, on the 19th May, 1979.

7456410828_a511f59f68_b.jpgSteaming Nicely by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we return to Driffield with a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr. It shows 31319 on the 07.45 a.m., service from Sheffield to Bridlington on Saturday the 25th June, 1977.

AHS112 250677 Driffield 31319

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of the KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Filey and see a class 31, 31312, bringing in train 1D60, the service from Newcastle to Filey Holiday Camp, on the 14th June, 1975.

75 046 140675 Filey 31312

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of the KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Filey and see a class 31, 31312, bringing in train 1D60, the service from Newcastle to Filey Holiday Camp, on the 14th June, 1975.

75 046 140675 Filey 31312

Best regards,

Rob.

Another nice picture!  Did it go to Scarborough first and run round then, to get to Filey from that direction?  If so did it also reverse at York, or was there still access at that time to the Scarborough line from the north by going through the yard?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Another nice picture!  Did it go to Scarborough first and run round then, to get to Filey from that direction?  If so did it also reverse at York, or was there still access at that time to the Scarborough line from the north by going through the yard?

I think the crossing from York Yards to the Scarborough line was closed in 1974 so it would have had to run round 

Interestingly if going from York Yard south to the depot you used to get an S in the route indicator for Scarborough line right up until the line was closed in the late 80s even though it had long since ceased giving access to the actual Scarborough line

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for drifting slightly off topic, but whilst York has been mentioned, for anyone that might be interested, next Christmas/New Year period (2022/2023) there is a 9 day blockade to renew track/S&C at York North end. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, russ p, for the information about that train having to run round, in York, by the time of the photo’, and thank you, Ian, for the advance warning about avoiding going to York by train next Christmas/New Year.

Well, this evening we have another photo’ by the KDH archive on Flickr, and it is of Bridlington on Saturday, the 31st, July, 1976, with a view of the 10.35 train from Hull to Scarborough, which was a locomotive hauled service back in those days. We see 37115, departing from platform one, and can see either the driver or secondman - most probably the secondman - ready to collect the single line token from Bridlington Quay signalman.

76 065 310776 Bridlington 37115

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go back in time to steam days and Snuff Mill Lane crossing, Cottingham. Thanks to a photo’ by Mark Evans, on Flickr, we can see Flying Pig, 43078, on a date in the early 1960’s, on a freight train to Hull, probably the Bridlington pick up. No more information is available.

28441115105_8db9686009_3k.jpgFlying Pig at Cott by Mark Evans, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, Boris, regarding that small hut, it could be it was the toilet, it’s the only thing that makes any sense. 
Well, this evening, we return to Driffield, and a photo’ courtesy of the KDH archive, on Flickr, which is of 31184, on the 08.30 from Scarborough to Sheffield, on Saturday the 25th June, 1977.

AHS111 250677 31184 Driffield

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8