Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2022 at 22:29, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. That, Simon, is fascinating how you have narrowed, right down, the time of that photo’ of V2, 60938. Thank you for that detective work which has yealded a great result. And, Mick, it interesting to hear about the Army poster appearing in MRN c1962.

Well, this evening, time for another photo’ by Syd Young, on Flickr. It shows a most atmospheric and historical scene of Deltic 55012, Crepello, at Hull Paragon station on the 21st February, 1979. Plenty off staff and enthusiasts look on as it backs onto the stock which will form train 1A28, the 16.45 Hull to London King’s Cross.

10097249395_31a8c32dca_b.jpgWatching the Deltic by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Looks like Jack Slee the Hull traction inspector leaning out of the secondmans window, and John Tait, Paragon shunter calling the loco onto the train.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Simon Lee for the names of those two railwaymen from that photo’. Now, this evening, thanks to the KDH archive on Flickr, we return to Scarborough, and see several locomotives that have worked in on excursion trains. On the 8th July, 1973, we see class 37, D6736, class 47, D1575, class 03, D2113 - I know, it was the station pilot, and two class 40’s, D392 and D397.

73 308 080773 Scarborough D6736 D1575 D392 D2113 D397

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Simon Lee for the names of those two railwaymen from that photo’. Now, this evening, thanks to the KDH archive on Flickr, we return to Scarborough, and see several locomotives that have worked in on excursion trains. On the 8th July, 1973, we see class 37, D6736, class 47, D1575, class 03, D2113 - I know, it was the station pilot, and two class 40’s, D392 and D397.

73 308 080773 Scarborough D6736 D1575 D392 D2113 D397

Best regards,

Rob.

The maroon Mk1 would surely a rarity by 1973, interesting that it is stabled on its own too. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, MikeParkin65, you are right to ask about that maroon Mkl. I’ve been ruminating about it myself, and can only conclude that it may have been out of service for some reason. 
Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to Bridlington, on the 12th May, 1990, and see two class 20’s 20010, and 20132 on the return lef of the ‘Vladivostok Avoider’ special train, from Sheffield to Scarborough and return.

KH later 0590 027 20010 and 20132 Bridlington

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, MikeParkin65, you are right to ask about that maroon Mkl. I’ve been ruminating about it myself, and can only conclude that it may have been out of service for some reason. 
Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to Bridlington, on the 12th May, 1990, and see two class 20’s 20010, and 20132 on the return lef of the ‘Vladivostok Avoider’ special train, from Sheffield to Scarborough and return.

KH later 0590 027 20010 and 20132 Bridlington

Best regards,

Rob.

This railtour was run by the Class 20 Loco Society of which I was a member. I was a steward and my then wife, Karen,  was on the merch stall in the guard’s van. 

Mad days…but we did make enough money from this and our other tours, including the famous 3 To The Sea, to buy 20227.

steve

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, steve, for the information about that rail tour, and it’s good to know that, with your help, 20227 was bought. 
Well, this evening, time to go to Hessle Haven, thanks to a photo’ by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr, for an undated look at an unidentified class 37 departing the marshalling yard on a freight train, and plenty of 16 ton wagins make up the train. 

16810533228_3b96c224a0_h.jpg37 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Above picture taken sometime between 17 July 1975, when the barriers were installed, and 28 November 1982 when the junction was taken out of use. In the left background is the waste land used as a construction site during the building of the Humber bridge.

Were those mechanical barriers mick?

Above picture taken sometime between 17 July 1975, when the barriers were installed, and 28 November 1982 when the junction was taken out of use. In the left background is the waste land used as a construction site during the building of the Humber bridge.

Russ, yes mechanical.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, here is the gate wheel.

HESSLE HAVEN Gate Wheel 1982.jpg

Two great things that were more prominent on NE region than anywhere else mechanical barriers and electric boom gates. I know Nunthorpe still has mechanical barriers is there any others left?

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

I'm doing a slide show on Hull Area Railways next Tuesday 22 February, 1900hrs the venue is Holliday Inn Express, Ferensway. Hull. Part of St Stephens. The Entrance is next to Superdry shop,

Pess button at entrance, go in lift to 1st floor, straight ahead.

HESSLE HAVEN 90008, 23 Aug 1964.JPG

Hi Mick,

Is this a new presentation or a repeat of the one you gave at Anlaby Road?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, russ p said:

Two great things that were more prominent on NE region than anywhere else mechanical barriers and electric boom gates. I know Nunthorpe still has mechanical barriers is there any others left?

Hi Russ,

Just had a quick look at the LNE Territory LCs database (2003) and it lists the following as MBW (Mechanically worked lifting barriers operated by gate wheel under manual control);

Barton Hill

Cave

Driffield (Skerne Road)

Norton-on-Tees

Nunthorpe

Oxmardyke, and

Rigton.

Not sure how many are still "manual barriers worked from a wheel" as the Sectional Appendix, rather unhelpfully, now defines all the above as "MCB" (Manually Controlled Barriers), so without confirmation from elsewhere, it's a bit difficult to know which are still operated from a gate wheel. But as @micknich2003 and @Grosmont Jnc have said, Driffield and Barton Hill are probably still gate wheel operated.

NB. For a bit of history, the first ever BR level crossing fitted with lifting barriers was at Warthill.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Russ,

Just had a quick look at the LNE Territory LCs database (2003) and it lists the following as MBW (Mechanically worked lifting barriers operated by gate wheel under manual control);

Barton Hill

Cave

Driffield (Skerne Road)

Norton-on-Tees

Nunthorpe

Oxmardyke, and

Rigton.

Not sure how many are still "manual barriers worked from a wheel" as the Sectional Appendix, rather unhelpfully, now defines all the above as "MCB" (Manually Controlled Barriers), so without confirmation from elsewhere, it's a bit difficult to know which are still operated from a gate wheel. But as @micknich2003 and @Grosmont Jnc have said, Driffield and Barton Hill are probably still gate wheel operated.

NB. For a bit of history, the first ever BR level crossing fitted with lifting barriers was at Warthill.

Out of the above, sadly only Nunthorpe, Driffield and Barton Hill are left.  Cave, Oxmardyke and Norton-on-Tees are MCB-OD crossings supervised by York ROC and Rigton is a CCTV crossing supervised by Harrogate SB.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1