Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Grosmont Jnc said:

Out of the above, sadly only Nunthorpe, Driffield and Barton Hill are left.  Cave, Oxmardyke and Norton-on-Tees are MCB-OD crossings supervised by York ROC and Rigton is a CCTV crossing supervised by Harrogate SB.

Thanks @Grosmont Jnc, I was aware that Cave and Oxmardyke had been converted during the (fairly) recent Gilberdyke-Hessle resignalling scheme, but was unsure of the others - without further investigation from other sources.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2022 at 21:37, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Simon Lee for the names of those two railwaymen from that photo’. Now, this evening, thanks to the KDH archive on Flickr, we return to Scarborough, and see several locomotives that have worked in on excursion trains. On the 8th July, 1973, we see class 37, D6736, class 47, D1575, class 03, D2113 - I know, it was the station pilot, and two class 40’s, D392 and D397.

73 308 080773 Scarborough D6736 D1575 D392 D2113 D397

Best regards,

Rob.

Didn't really notice first time round, but with the road that D6736 and D1575 are stood on being a little higher than that that the Mk1 is stood on, it creates a bit of an optical illusion in that the Mk1 appears to be 7/8th scale compared to the 37 & 47 - or is it just me?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iands said:

Thanks @Grosmont Jnc, I was aware that Cave and Oxmardyke had been converted during the (fairly) recent Gilberdyke-Hessle resignalling scheme, but was unsure of the others - without further investigation from other sources.

Cheers Ian Does it list where boom gates still exist?

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, russ p said:

Cheers Ian Does it list where boom gates still exist?

Hi Russ,

The 2003 database lists the following locations as having boom gates;

Billingham,

Brampton Fell,

Brough East,

Cutsyke,

Hensall,

Low Row,

Melton Lane,

Urlay Nook,

Whitehouse, and

Winning.

I think all boom gates have now been modernised, though I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Bootham used to be boom gates, and I think Freemans and Plessey Road perhaps used to be (but again, I'm happy to be corrected on this). I'm sure there would have been others.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iands said:

Hi Russ,

The 2003 database lists the following locations as having boom gates;

Billingham,

Brampton Fell,

Brough East,

Cutsyke,

Hensall,

Low Row,

Melton Lane,

Urlay Nook,

Whitehouse, and

Winning.

I think all boom gates have now been modernised, though I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Bootham used to be boom gates, and I think Freemans and Plessey Road perhaps used to be (but again, I'm happy to be corrected on this). I'm sure there would have been 

Thanks Ian,  I think some of those have gone now sadly. 

I may model a sat in the future as I've found out that Tivetshall and Parkeston on the GE had some . Not sure if these were the only ones away from NE region 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. That’s a fascinating discussion about those boom gates, etc., Mick, I hope to be at the slde show next Tuesday evening. I just hope I go in the right door. ;)

Now, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by Syd Young, on Flickr, we are at Hull Paragon station and can see 55008, The Green Howards, after it had arrived on train 1D02, the 12.05 from London King’s Cross, on the 13th June, 1979.

5255242833_80fca7b7b2_b.jpg55008 - Hull Paragon by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, russ p said:

Thanks Ian,  I think some of those have gone now sadly. 

I may model a sat in the future as I've found out that Tivetshall and Parkeston on the GE had some . Not sure if these were the only ones away from NE region 

Russ, the first installation was I'm sure at Parkstone Eastern Region, at the time featured in "Railway Modeller which I have here. When I was signalman at Melton Lane I drew up one of the booms etc, if want details just ask.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

I'm doing a slide show on Hull Area Railways next Tuesday 22 February, 1900hrs the venue is Holliday Inn Express, Ferensway. Hull. Part of St Stephens. The Entrance is next to Superdry shop,

Pess button at entrance, go in lift to 1st floor, straight ahead.

HESSLE HAVEN 90008, 23 Aug 1964.JPG

Sounds great Mick. If it wasn’t for the 380 mile round trip I would love to have attended. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, the first installation was I'm sure at Parkstone Eastern Region, at the time featured in "Raiay Modeller which I have here. When I was signalman at Melton Lane I drew up one of the booms etc, if want details just ask.

Cheers Mick

It will be a while before I get round to making some. Weird the way trialled on the ER but more prevalent on NE. When we're first ones installed?  There were hand operated ones on Redmire branch and I think Coxhoe branch

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, russ p said:

Cheers Mick

It will be a while before I get round to making some. Weird the way trialled on the ER but more prevalent on NE. When we're first ones installed?  There were hand operated ones on Redmire branch and I think Coxhoe branch

Sorry I can't help with which were first to be installed, but IIRC Selby Road LC and Norton LC on the Shaftholme to Knottingley line also had boom gates at one time. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we return to Scarborough to see a Deltic. It is 55011, The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. It will be working the 08.47 Bridlington to London King’s Cross service, from Scarborough after reversal, on the 15th August, 1981. The photo’ is courtesy of the KDH archive on Flickr.

81 077 150881 Scarborough 55011

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

On 14/02/2022 at 15:22, micknich2003 said:

I'm doing a slide show on Hull Area Railways next Tuesday 22 February, 1900hrs the venue is Holliday Inn Express, Ferensway. Hull. Part of St Stephens. The Entrance is next to Superdry shop,

Pess button at entrance, go in lift to 1st floor, straight ahead.

HESSLE HAVEN 90008, 23 Aug 1964.JPG

Would have loved to attend this, but East Yorkshire have me starting work at 06.25 the following morning and I need my beauty sleep.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go back south to Hull, and Springhead shed, and see, thanks to a photo’ by Paul Kearley, on Flickr, a J73, 68363, on the 18th May, 1952.

51876665708_47eaa2a5e9_h.jpgJ73 BR 68363 at Hull Springhead 18-05-1952 by Paul Kearley, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Does anyone know what is the large oblong plate under the cab window of the WD 2-8-0 in the background?

On 14/02/2022 at 17:09, iands said:

Didn't really notice first time round, but with the road that D6736 and D1575 are stood on being a little higher than that that the Mk1 is stood on, it creates a bit of an optical illusion in that the Mk1 appears to be 7/8th scale compared to the 37 & 47 - or is it just me?

It’s a British Trix MK1 on a very realistic 00 gauge layout! That 1/81 scale really stands out….

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, JeffP, I’ve been wondering about  that myself, and I hope someone can work out what it is under the cabside window of the Austerity 2-8-0. 
Well, this evening, thanks to the KDH archive on Flickr, we go back to Scarborough and see three Summer Saturday extras arriving from various places, on the 23rd June, 1979. The first photo’ is of class 45, 45033, which is approaching Scarborough with the 07.14 service from Wellingborough. 
Next we see class 31, 31299, of Tinsley, with the 09.00 service from Chesterfield. Then, finally, class 40, 40011, on the 08.30 service from Wakefield.

79 123 230679 Scarborough 45033

79 122 230679 Scarborough 31299

79 119 230679 Scarborough 40011

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

11 hours ago, JeffP said:

Does anyone know what is the large oblong plate under the cab window of the WD 2-8-0 in the background?

Jeff, some cab fitting or other, removed by fitters and hung out of the open window. I will ask a mate of mine, a onetime Springhead loco fitter.

• RMweb Gold

Well, everyone, an extra photo’ for tonight. It’s one from jsb303 on Flickr, and is really quite rare. It shows the Sand Hutton Light Railway in 1925.  It was four and a half miles long, and had halts at Kissinthornes, War Memorial, Gardens and Sand Hutton. There were some exchange sidings a Warthill on the York to Market Weighton line.
A train is hauled by an unidentified locomotive - can anyone indentify it? 

8531323974_6cb6d14856_b.jpgYork: Sand Hutton Light Railway. 1925. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Jeff, some cab fitting or other, removed by fitters and hung out of the open window. I will ask a mate of mine, a onetime Springhead loco fitter.

My mate as replied.

Dear Mick.  Great photo.  It's the east end of the shed and looks like the J73 is having attention to the injectors as the tank is MT.. The item hanging from the WD looks like the armrest, but they usually folded into the cab.

Look forward to the mags..

Regards, 

Richard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Market65 said:

Well, everyone, an extra photo’ for tonight. It’s one from jsb303 on Flickr, and is really quite rare. It shows the Sand Hutton Light Railway in 1925.  It was four and a half miles long, and had halts at Kissinthornes, War Memorial, Gardens and Sand Hutton. There were some exchange sidings a Warthill on the York to Market Weighton line.
A train is hauled by an unidentified locomotive - can anyone indentify it? 

8531323974_6cb6d14856_b.jpgYork: Sand Hutton Light Railway. 1925. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Cant identify the loco, but I'm pretty sure the coach at the rear found it's way to Humberston, near Cleethorpes, where it worked on the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway, before that outfit moved to the Skegness water park, via quite a long stay in store at Burgh le Marsh.

The coach still exists and has recently been refurbished.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1