Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Cant identify the loco, but I'm pretty sure the coach at the rear found it's way to Humberston, near Cleethorpes, where it worked on the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway, before that outfit moved to the Skegness water park, via quite a long stay in store at Burgh le Marsh.

The coach still exists and has recently been refurbished.

The coach did survive as stated. A good book on the Sand Hutton is by the late K R Hartley and have just found out there is a new, expanded, 3rd edition.  Unfortunately, although I have a copy of an earlier edition I can't currently find it.

Ken Hartley used to regularly do talks around the York area called, again if my ageing memory is correct, The railway that Isn't there. There also used to be a website of that name covering the railway's history but I can't now find the link so it may well have gone as, sadly, so many websites do when the former site owner ceases paying for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, JeffP and john new for the information about the carriage in the photo’ of the Sand Hutton Light Railway, and also about the book, of which I didn’t know about before, which I have just ordered. I’ll see if I can find the details of that locomotive in the book when it arrives later next week. 
Well, this evening I’ve a photo’ by Woolwinder, on Flickr, of Sledmere and Fimber station on the former line from Driffield to Malton. There’s no train, but I think it is of interest from a historical point of view and is a kind of ‘record photo’. 

15997960118_270861d5cd_k.jpgSledmere & Fimber Station by Woolwinder, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to South Howden on the Hull and Barnsley Railway in March, 1955, thanks to a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr. The G5 0-4-4T, 67982 is working a push-pull train from Hull, and can be seen taking a good drink of water. 

4672604933_402cc58e41_b.jpgHull & Barnsley Railway. Howden. 1955. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well fir this evening we go to the Derwent Valley Light Railway at Thorganby in 1959. The photo’ is from jsb303, on Flickr, and you can see the station building quite clearly. The engine is 65714, and it’s on a short train going to York.

4672508191_a4637c8f91_b.jpgD.V.L.R: Thorganby. 1959. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. I’m early today since I’m shortly going to be going to the slide show that will be given by Mick Nicholson. So, for this afternoon we are going to Filey Holiday Camp station as it was back in the summer of 1950, from a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr. Sadly no other information about the trains is available.

3014917453_fdf0678568_b.jpgFiley: Butlins Holiday Camp Station. 1950. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. First of all, I would like to thank Mick Nicholson for the excellent talk and slide show from yesterday evening at the Holiday Inn Express in Hull. There  were many new photo’s to enjoy seeing, and the atmosphere was most convivial. I look forward to the next one in due course.

So, for this evening we go to Burdale, on the former Malton to Driffield railway, and thanks to a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr, we can see an unidentified class J27, on a short freight train sometime in, possibly, 1957. The caption reads 1958, but it doesn’t seem right. I could be wrong.

2100847989_913719100b_c.jpgBurdale Tunnel Approaches 1958. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. First of all, I would like to thank Mick Nicholson for the excellent talk and slide show from yesterday evening at the Holiday Inn Express in Hull. There  were many new photo’s to enjoy seeing, and the atmosphere was most convivial. I look forward to the next one in due course.

So, for this evening we go to Burdale, on the former Malton to Driffield railway, and thanks to a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr, we can see an unidentified class J27, on a short freight train sometime in, possibly, 1957. The caption reads 1958, but it doesn’t seem right. I could be wrong.

Best regards,

Rob.

There a quite a few exploration videos on YouTube of burdale tunnel, not in great condition even an air shaft has collapsed.  I left the tunnel a spoof google review 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

So prototype for everything - scenery done the old school way in teddy bear fur.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

90009 and 90450 double head off King George Dock Hull, early 1967.

KING GEORGE DOCK .jpg

KING GEORGE DOCK 2. .jpg

What's the guy on the leading engine doing? Climbing back on or jumping off?

3 minutes ago, RFS said:

What's the guy on the leading engine doing? Climbing back on or jumping off?

Robert, he is "The Trainman" he would accompany any train to and from King George Dock to Saltend, he was employed by the Docks Board and in railway terms was a Shunter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, Mick, thank you for posting those two photo’s of the double headed train by those two WD’s. It’s not too often I’ve seen a train hauled by two of those locomotives. 
It’s most interesting to see the photo’s of the DVLR, and it certainly is more than worth a visit or two. Hopefully people will go and volunteer to help the line out, I’ll certainly see what I can do.

Well, this evening we go to Driffield for a view of the Malton Dodger. The photo’ is courtesy of jsb303, on Flickr, and you can see an N8, number 76, deputising for the more usual G5, on the early evening departure from Driffield for Malton, on a Saturday, in August, 1935. It is composed of the usual two carriages, both ex NER, non corridors, and notice the guards door is open. 

4672101800_14d50ef3e5_b.jpgDriffield: 'Malton Dodger' 1935. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. The Sand Hutton Light Railway book has arrived, and the locomotive, in the photo’, from earlier on, is one called Esme. Some fascinating reading lies ahead. 
So, this evening we go to Sledmere and Fimber station, thanks to a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr, in it’s last year of use, 1958, and can see, on the platform, the train crew. Sorry, but I don’t know their names. 

4717832719_a3ca2d2624_b.jpgMalton & Driffield Railway. 1958. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we go to where the line from Hull to Selby crosses the Market Weighton canal between Broomfleet and Gilberdyke.  As can be seen, at the time of the photo’ there were still four tracks on that section of the line. The photo’ dates from the 5th April, 1983, and there is a four car class 101 DMU crossing the bridge on the up slow line, next stop being Gilberdyke on it’s journey to Leeds. The leading car is E50168. 

15514680184_3847720aed_k.jpgFour Tracks, Four Cars by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

13 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we go to where the line from Hull to Selby crosses the Market Weighton canal between Broomfleet and Gilberdyke.  As can be seen, at the time of the photo’ there were still four tracks on that section of the line. The photo’ dates from the 5th April, 1983, and there is a four car class 101 DMU crossing the bridge on the up slow line, next stop being Gilberdyke on it’s journey to Leeds. The leading car is E50168. 

15514680184_3847720aed_k.jpgFour Tracks, Four Cars by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Don't think the leading car is 50168 as that was allocated to Norwich at this time, more than likely one of Neville Hills 4 car Met Camms. The red buffer beam also indicates a NL unit as a certain fitter a NL Paul Corrie was quite prolific with the red paint.

Al Taylor.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I find it amazing just how clean the "dubbies" ( WD 2-8-0) were on the north bank.

Those twenty crow-miles away at Frodingham were always filthy, so much so that you couldn't read cabside numbers from the embankment as the locos passed.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

90352 with Up Empties, passing Broomfleet's Up Distants, c1966.

BROOMFLEET Up Distants. 90352. .jpg

I also like the idea of the local pway letting passing crews and passengers know they are travelling over a Prize Length! 

1 hour ago, JeffP said:

I find it amazing just how clean the "dubbies" ( WD 2-8-0) were on the north bank.

Those twenty crow-miles away at Frodingham were always filthy, so much so that you couldn't read cabside numbers from the embankment as the locos passed.

Jeff, most Austerities here were usually filthy.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’, and I hope you’ll post some more when you can.

This evening, we go to Menthorpe Gate, on the Selby to Market Weighton line, on a date in the mid fifties, thanks to a photo’ from jsb303, on Flickr. It shows a down excursion, probably to Bridlington, hauled by B1 61087.

3651117055_1219ba78e1_b.jpgMarket Weighton - Driffield. 1950s. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for posting another excellent photo’ of a WD. Now, this evening we go to Gristhorpe, between Filey and Seamer, thanks to a photo’ by thevKDH archive, on Flickr. The date is the 15th August, 1981, and the train is hauled by Peak, 45033, which is the 12.30 Scarborough to Leicester service.

81 083 150881 Gristhorpe 45033

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10