Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Signalling diagram for Walton Street, and now the property of James Syoles. Some relocking took place in 1934 when the gates were converted to power working, though the Gate Wheel was retained for emergency use, the wickets continued to be worked by a wheel. At the same time, Road Traffic lights were provided, the first UK application at a level crossing. Some further relocking took place c1957, but this, the original diagram of June 1924, though now amended, remained in use until December 1963 when "Boom Gates" were installed.

I have practically every signalling diagram from Hull Paragon to Bridlington Quay, 1875 onwards, and if requested I will willingly put them on here. Though I guarantee, and Sod's Law, I will have every one but the one asked for.    

post-702-0-69131600-1443310927_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Two 1934 pictures from Walton Street, the Gate Controller remained in in use until December 1963 when the "Boom Gates" were installed.

The original traffic lights survived until late summer 1980 when "Modern" versions were installed, these in turn were replached by Flashing lights when the present barriers and alterations were carried out.

post-702-0-30354000-1443350004.jpg

post-702-0-72005600-1443350024.jpg

• Like 6

Like this thread.

Wife from Hull and worked as SHO in Hull Royal infirmary 8/87 till 1/89. 

Stayed in Dr's flats at Hull Royal and looked directly onto the lines into Hull Paragon. Rarely exciting locomotives passed but seem to remember City of Wells steaming in late one November evening to film a Ferrero Rocher advert? Have some rather dull images that haven't scanned well. 

My image of Walton St is dreadful so not posted. 

Some more of Filey.

Do have others Cottingham, Hutton Cranswick, Driffield and Nafferton but can't lay my hands on them currently.

post-16796-0-58009800-1443368775_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

One of the big appeals of the Hull - Scarborough line was that a lot of the signalling was fairly antiquated so you still had a few of the NER Gate Board signals in use though they were too remote for me to get a photo. Many of the crossings still retained their NER enamel nameplates, sometimes painted over as on Thwaite Gates gatebox at Cottingham.

17236867.7ae26beb.800.jpg
  • Like 6

I thought that was a special signal which applied to siding movements rather than being a gate board ?

Not really, they were a throw back from a by-gone age. If memory serves there were two sets of these signals protecting the level crossings across both the main Hull to Selby line at Staddlethorpe (sorry Gilberdyke) and the Hull to Goole line, just passed their junction. That would be Clementhorpe Lane.

In the watchful gaze  of you Young Mick.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the photo's and the signalling diagrams Mick. More will be very welcome.

Tonight I've found two extra photo's of Arram. The first one shows the level crossing, followed by a look along the line towards Beverley, both taken on 11th June, 1988.

post-22631-0-21038000-1443394542_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-03761000-1443394577_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

Not really, they were a throw back from a by-gone age. If memory serves there were two sets of these signals protecting the level crossings across both the main Hull to Selby line at Staddlethorpe (sorry Gilberdyke) and the Hull to Goole line, just passed their junction. That would be Clementhorpe Lane.

In the watchful gaze  of you Young Mick.

Judge Dread you are quite right in Staddlethorpe, or is know by some as Gilberthorpe os Staddledyke lol.

regards

Al Taylor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a lovely image Rob.

post-22631-0-21038000-1443394542_thumb.j

Remove the warning lights from the picture and time has almost stood still.  Just need a D49 'Hunt' Class in there too!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

My 3 shots of Arram station in 1978. There still a relatively decent train service in those far off days so I had about an hour to kill and spent it chatting to the signalman. It was a more or less unspoilt station though of course it had lost the signalbox and the down side waiting room.

17236883.6d80f86d.800.jpg

Note the odd little canopy over the booking office door which was also a feature of Malton & Driffield Railway stations. Also the fact that the building is at 90 degrees to the track.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, tonight, I first wish to thank Mick for more excellent photo's, especially those of Walton Street.

Now, there's just one photo' from me tonight. It is of A4 4468 Mallard, but before the valances were put in place. I think the photo' dates from April,1988.

post-22631-0-11273900-1443484749_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 4