Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Having lived in Hull from 1979 until 1986 I'm really enjoying these photos.

It does make me regret how few photos I took while I was there. They were train spotting years when getting numbers was far more important than taking photos. Until the arrival of the 31/4s, all Hull seemed to offer was DMUs so the priority was to escape on a Yorkshire Rover ticket!

Now I can't believe how much I missed - signal boxes, semphores and even 1st generation DMUs.

In reply to the request for 142s - here's a shot at Cottingham taken on a return visit during the summer of 1991.

post-13274-0-11886300-1443643314.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 11

Following on from the discussion/photos of Walton St - I remembered I had this slide taken shortly before I left Hull - March/April 1986. 

Sad to see it's now gone, no doubt along with a lot of the other boxes in the area.

post-13274-0-76439600-1443643767.jpg

Edited by 60091
  • Like 9

Time goes all too quickly Mick!

Now here's another photo' of that very box at CherryTree. It was taken on May 19th, 1985.

attachicon.gifimg065 - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

Indeed time does fly, in 1983 we had three young(ish) kids, we are now Great Grand Parents.

Attached the earliest picture of Cherry tree known to me, I would say c1912, and when the 'box was almost new.

post-702-0-06895600-1443650590_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Was that taken the same day as the photo' at Beverley? I'm going by the Sun and the trees without any leaves on them.

With regards,

Rob.

Almost certainly. I have the date written down in a notebook somewhere. Come to think of it the shots I took that day were all on Agfa CT18 slides. They've lasted a bit better than my negatives and the colour capture tended to be better.

Hi, Alan. The boxes left are, from Hull, Beverley Station, the box at Skerne Road level crossing controlling the barriers, Bridlington South, and Seamer. That's it, sad to say.

With regards,

Rob.

To be fair the costs of operating the 1970s line must have been terrific. At Beverley when you looked in either direction you could see a line of signalboxes !

Here is Cherry Tree on the day of my Beverley trip.

17237167.1f22bf8f.800.jpg

Also I got this photo from an old British Rail staff magazine. I don't suppose they mind ?

Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick for that lovely photo' of Cherry Tree box. Also thank you PinzaC55. I thought that your photo' of Walton Street box was taken on the same day, and thanks for that photo' of Cherry Tree box, again on that day in January, 1979.

Now here's an extra, extra, posting from me. It shows the Scarborough Spa Express leaving York on 25th July, 1985. It being hauled by SR 'King Arthur' 4-6-0 777 Sir Lamiel. I am including York, along with Scarborough, for these places are effectively on the boundary of the East Riding.

post-22631-0-23996700-1443652508_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-09913700-1443652528_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Thank you Mick for that lovely photo' of Cherry Tree box. Also thank you PinzaC55. I thought that your photo' of Walton Street box was taken on the same day, and thanks for that photo' of Cherry Tree box, again on that day in January, 1979.

Now here's an extra, extra, posting from me. It shows the Scarborough Spa Express leaving York on 25th July, 1985. It being hauled by SR 'King Arthur' 4-6-0 777 Sir Lamiel. I am including York, along with Scarborough, for these places are effectively on the boundary of the East Riding.

This is a coincidence... I don't remember anything about the day apart from a couple of photos of 777

..... however that could be me leaning against the pillar in your 2nd photo!

post-13274-0-79769000-1443654460.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the S&T Dept's painting instructions for the Cherry Tree lever frame, and despite being signed by the Chief Signal Engineer, they are wrong. There was never a connection between the Up Main and the Up Goods. I will scan the actual signalling diagram tomorrow, but first I need to dispose of several empty beer bottles and cans.

post-702-0-63902700-1443657221_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the S&T Dept's painting instructions for the Cherry Tree lever frame, and despite being signed by the Chief Signal Engineer, they are wrong. There was never a connection between the Up Main and the Up Goods. I will scan the actual signalling diagram tomorrow, but first I need to dispose of several empty beer bottles and cans.

attachicon.gif113.jpg

Here is the Cherry Tree signalling diagram, you can see the paiting instructions don't match the actual layout.

post-702-0-62498200-1443700599_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That shot of the Jubilee on the cricket ground curve is a real gem.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's going verrrrrry slowly! Many a time I've sat watching cricket at Anlaby Circle ground (and occasionally playing) when a loose coupled freight has crawled around behind (usually) a class 37, flanges squealing loudly. It must be near radius limits for long wheelbase & bogie stock.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,everyone. Thanks to you all for all the contributions. They really much appreciated.

Tonight, I have found three oldies from, again, 1985 - took quite a few photo's that summer in particular. One is of Cherry Tree (I know, it gets a bit repetitive), then the next is of a 4-car class 108 DMU leaving Beverley on its way to Hull. And then, lastly, a photo' of Beverley North box, stood near to the Lady le Gros pub - which is stood empty these days.

post-22631-0-12106700-1443736131_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-34458800-1443736154_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-58616500-1443736178_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Beverley North in happier days still in use and with it's nameboard which I am sure is in someone's collection now !

17237209.c44d3571.800.jpg

The rather superb example of the standard GT Andrews gatekeepers cottage just north of Beverley station.

17231913.2f41740d.800.jpg

Regarding the station gardens I used to have a Ken Hoole book with a picture of Beverley station box and I am sure he mentioned who was responsible for them. I looked but I don't seem to have that book now.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi,everyone. Thanks to you all for all the contributions. They really much appreciated.

Tonight, I have found three oldies from, again, 1985 - took quite a few photo's that summer in particular. One is of Cherry Tree (I know, it gets a bit repetitive), then the next is of a 4-car class 108 DMU leaving Beverley on its way to Hull. And then, lastly, a photo' of Beverley North box, stood near to the Lady le Gros pub - which is stood empty these days.

attachicon.gifimg068 copy 2 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifimg068 copy (1).jpg

attachicon.gifimg069 copy (1).jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

Once again some lovely shots Rob.  Time stood still!

Out of interest who owned the red and white double decker buses in your photos?

I also love how the Marina van is covered in underseal! :O

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

The buses were East Yorkshire Motor Services, in NBC days. There was a former goods warehouse on that site, but it was blown down, writing off two buses parked there, in a violent gale on the 13th January, 1984. The gale/tornado - it really was that fearsome, also took out the glazing from the station roof. The glass fell onto waiting passengers, injuring some of them quite badly.

With regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65