Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015

Barry O

You can park at Birmingham International Station Car Park for £6. It is usually closer to hall 5 than the NEC car parks and the walk is undercover all the way (unlike parking in the NEC car parks which could involve a fair trek in the rain!)

I thought the NEC offered free shuttle buses for parking?

• RMweb Premium

The buses are free - but not the car parks except at certain events where the show organisers pay extra so that they can offer free parking - in that way, it is paid for by everyone, even those who come by train as they must recover their costs from the admission price. At some events you will find that one event has free parking and another charges - so you follow the signs to the free car park and walk further as the shuttle bus won't go to the hall you want as you are in the wrong car park ! For example next week the Skills Show is £12 but the Antiques Fair the same day if free.

http://www.thenec.co.uk/whatson

Good Food Show and the Engineering Recruitment show are both charging so no free parking at the Warley weekend . . . .

The buses are free - but not the car parks except at certain evets where the show organisers pay extra so that they can offer free parking - in that way, it is paid for by everyone, even those who come by train as they must recover their costs from the admission price. At some events you will find that one event has free parking and another charges - so you follow the signs to the free car park and walk further as the shuttle bus won't go to the hall you want as you are in the wrong car park ! For example next week the Skills Show is £12 but the Antiques Fair the same day if free.http://www.thenec.co.uk/whatsonGood Food Show and the Engineering Recruitment show are both charging so no free parking at the Warley weekend . . . ..

In my experience, the shows I have attended which offered free parking give you a parking voucher, but only after you have paid and entered the show. Parking is pay on exit, so no paid-for parking ticket or free voucher usually means no exit!

• RMweb Gold

Although I was somewhat disappointed with the venue when exhIbiting the other year I am thinking of going as a punter this year. I'd like to know how far the £12 car parks are from the venue...5min walk, 10, 20?(assuming that there is no shuttle bus just sat there waiting for me, and me alone, and my impatience gets the better of me....)

Although I was somewhat disappointed with the venue when exhIbiting the other year I am thinking of going as a punter this year. I'd like to know how far the £12 car parks are from the venue...5min walk, 10, 20?(assuming that there is no shuttle bus just sat there waiting for me, and me alone, and my impatience gets the better of me....)

They are all "£12 car parks". You could be lucky and get steered into a car park so close it's not worth bothering with the bus, or it may be as far away on the complex as it is possible to be.... the earlier you arrive usually means a closer car park - but not always!

Last time I went the carpark was about a 5-10min walk, although I got a shuttle bus back as it was raining.

I'm catching a train this year, only £6 more than the carpark fee - I can't get from Derby to Birmingham & back in a car for £6!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. I was thinking about the train but from down here, and I've tried various web sites, you're looking at £80 return. So the car it is.

It's why I go by car with friends as it ends up about £25 incl tickets for all day. Luckily this year they are paying the travelling expenses ;)

• RMweb Premium

An update on my earlier post - I tried booking a ticket via my Windows-based work computer as well and still got the same error message! Ended up phoning up and pre-booking instead!

If anyone here is part of the Warley club, it must be interesting to look at the advance online sales figures and see if anyone at all has managed to successfully pre-book a ticket?

Had an update from the Club, up to last weekend  over 2500 people had booked advance tickets through the NEC which, in turn is via the website.  

• RMweb Premium

Had an update from the Club, up to last weekend  over 2500 people had booked advance tickets through the NEC which, in turn is via the website.  

Guaranteed scrum down at the Bachmann stand then!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Nice one, good to know it's hopefully not too widespread a problem in that case, should be a good weekend!

• RMweb Premium

In my experience, the shows I have attended which offered free parking give you a parking voucher, but only after you have paid and entered the show. Parking is pay on exit, so no paid-for parking ticket or free voucher usually means no exit!

You may well be right - thinking back to when I had free parking, it was for the Caravan Show (sorry!) which filled every hall so there weren't any other events on and we just drove out of the car park as there were no ticket collectors on duty.

• RMweb Gold

They are all "£12 car parks". You could be lucky and get steered into a car park so close it's not worth bothering with the bus, or it may be as far away on the complex as it is possible to be.... the earlier you arrive usually means a closer car park - but not always!

Not only are there lots of car parks (which sound like a postcode directory of London - East 6 and so on) which are opened one or two at a time until they fill, and then further ones open while the original ones get closed off , but depending on which directions you approach the NEC complex from, you can arrive down different approach roads and end up in different car parks too.

On a wet day if you end up in the last space at the far end of a car park, it can be a drenching walk to the shuttle bus stop - unlike at airports, the buses stick to the roads and don't venture into the car parks.

• RMweb Gold

Not only are there lots of car parks (which sound like a postcode directory of London - East 6 and so on) which are opened one or two at a time until they fill, and then further ones open while the original ones get closed off , but depending on which directions you approach the NEC complex from, you can arrive down different approach roads and end up in different car parks too.

On a wet day if you end up in the last space at the far end of a car park, it can be a drenching walk to the shuttle bus stop - unlike at airports, the buses stick to the roads and don't venture into the car parks.

Distinct advantage then to try to park at one of the smaller nearby stations, have a short walk to the train, and then be undercover for the rest of the day until you get back to that station for the short walk in the car park.

• RMweb Gold

RMwebbers,
Please do come along to the Warley show and see Appledore (Stand B38), it might be your last chance, as I've no more exhibition invitations after Warley.  We're hoping to bring you alternating sequences with Diesel Hydraulic (circa 1964) and steam traction (Circa 1961).

Please do make yourselves known too.  Always nice to put a face to a name (or RMweb alias :imsohappy: ).

• RMweb Gold

RMwebbers,

Please do come along to the Warley show and see Appledore (Stand B38), it might be your last chance, as I've no more exhibition invitations after Warley.  We're hoping to bring you alternating sequences with Diesel Hydraulic (circa 1964) and steam traction (Circa 1961).

Please do make yourselves known too.  Always nice to put a face to a name (or RMweb alias :imsohappy: ).

There may even be two 02's running (just about to start renumbering mine) along with a 700. How many Bulleid light pacific shall I bring Bob :scratchhead:

Crewlisle (stand A42) - all rolling stock checked.   WCML loco fleet all serviced with 100% availability from steam locos, diesels, AC electrics & finishing with the APT.

Problems with hesitant/stuttering running of two locos: 

Mainline Class 56 (Bachmann 36-553 decoder) - Solved by spending a couple of hours testing various settings of CV 54 & 55; now runs OK.

Hornby Class 86/1 – Originally fitted with Bachmann 36-553 decoder.  Could not get it to run very well.  Replaced with Bachmann 36-566 decoder.  Now runs smooth & quiet.

• RMweb Premium

This time next week a small band of lucky volunteers will be starting to set out the 600+ tables in Hall 5 of the NEC. The centrepiece loco - the LNWR Coal Tank should be in place and Squires should be unloading their stand.

Other volunteers will be covering tables with cloths, setting out electrics, unloading and unloading vehicles bringing various items from the Club rooms as well as 1001 other jobs needed to get the show ready for our first visitors on Saturday.

I will be trying to keep my demonstrator team in check!

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Distinct advantage then to try to park at one of the smaller nearby stations, have a short walk to the train, and then be undercover for the rest of the day until you get back to that station for the short walk in the car park.

Agree, or (if the timetable permits) do the whole journey by train, as I will. And I get to have a look at the allegedly improved New Street on the way...

Having tried parking at Hampton in Arden on the Sunday last year in plenty of time for the first train of the day, closer to the crack of noon than it might have been, I was not impressed.  Once I had found the entrance to the car park, a masterpiece of camouflage, I discovered that the booking office was shut and soon after I used it the permit to travel machine conked out.  This year I shall revert to the car park at Birmingham International and possibly enjoy the brisk walk under cover to the venue.

Chris

You might find that Virgin trains have wised up to the fact that none Railway users are using the car park and will charge accordingly ie no train ticket no £6.00 car park charge but the penalty charge instead . It is far better to park at one of the local stations and come by train as plenty of people have suggested  

Archived