Pre-cast sectional buildings.

br2975

That is a really interesting BR(LMR) 1949 drawing.

It seems the perspective displays the various p.c.conc components (plain walling / with door and fanlight / with high level window / with view out window plus cornice - with roof components)?  to a maximum span of 15 feet,  along with some hints about connectivity: the slotted pockets down from the cornice, and a circle on the angled corner of the plinth.

The drawing communicates info about 2 plinth components plus the plan of corner 3. I can't quite comprehend the overall integrity of the sectional plinth v v the walls.

I've been looking hard at the details because I worked on the 1961/2 Sheffield Tinsley yard  p.c.conc system buildings - which were erected off an in-situ slab.  Our concern was strructural integrity (commonly done with poorly controlled grouting - hence the infamous progressive collapse of Ronan Point flats Newham in 1968 after a gas explosion).

We devised a ring of threaded lengths of bar reinforcement cast into the wall units and tightened together with a double threaded connecting bolt accessed in a recess on the inside between each wall unit.  This post-stressing provided sufficient box structure wall rigidity for the roof units to be craned up and located in place. 

We went to great lengths to get a (face-up cast) limestone aggregate facing to our concrete wall units so they would keep washed clean over the years - but it all got demolished before anything had a chance to get dirty!

The LMS both before the war and after - as BR into the early days of the WCML, had a reputation for a very sophisticated lightweight metal station building system used on prewar stations on the southern end of the WCML and later developed for the Styal line electrification south of Manchester.

The architect who introduced this LMS system later became famous as Sir Leslie Martin: a designer of the Royal Festival Hall in 1951 and later Professor at Cambridge.

dh

Another example of how the Great Western always went in for the traditional - unlike the Southern.

These GW lineside buildings look like they are modelled on wayside temples the Greeks might have built - if they'd had concrete (like the Romans).

Note the shallow roof pitch, the pediment, the triglyph and metope cornice along under the eaves plus a faint suggestion of columns.

dh

PS  are those asbestos cement roofs ? :O

dh

It's quite a nice casting, but as the real ones were essentially kits it'd be good to have a range of parts to build them with prototypical variety.

My thoughts as well.

Or, it's the sort of thing that could form an illustrated article in the Great Western Journal (GWJ). 

I wonder if the drawings exist, if so where, and what would they be 'filed under'  ?

PS  are those asbestos cement roofs ? :O

dh

No - the real ones pictured have all had sectional concrete panels, moulded as part of the 'kit' of parts though the one at Exeter has been felted and some may have been replaced with corrugated sheet but none that I've seen.

Adam

• 10 months later...

Yesterday while changing trains at Taunton I finally had a chance to photograph the sectional concrete shed near the old BRSA club,

post-7081-0-45601000-1478174507_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-20404400-1478174521_thumb.jpg

Concrete hut at Taunton 2/11/2016

A few weeks ago we walked part of the route of the former Moretonhampstead Branch

which runs through the National Trust Parke Estate, there are two concrete huts along the way.

This hut has apparently survived because bats have been using it

post-7081-0-94844700-1478174876_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-51053400-1478174899_thumb.jpg

Former Moretonhampstead Branch 6/9/2016

And this one in CKD (Completely Knocked Down!) form.

post-7081-0-41264600-1478174673_thumb.jpg

6/9/2016

cheers

Archived