GWR Green HST Respray (Power Cars Finished!)

• RMweb Gold

The doors are actually metallic silver (I rode on this train on Sunday). I'm doing a N Gauge version using Railtech transfers - not the easiest thing to do given the size.

Are you sure that the matt green is the same as the glossy green? It looks darker in real life?

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 1

The doors are actually metallic silver (I rode on this train on Sunday). I'm doing a N Gauge version using Railtech transfers - not the easiest thing to do given the size.

Are you sure that the matt green is the same as the glossy green? It looks darker in real life?

Fair play to you, I could never work in N gauge, much too fiddly for me to get right!

I've done some more research and I think the matte stripe is in fact very slightly darker than the main body. I was going to model it slightly darker anyway though because you can't put most waterslide transfers on a matte surface, so my plan was to do a slightly darker gloss colour, and then maybe put matte varnish over it once the transfer is down, however I'm not sure if that will work so I need to do a practice piece! For the moment though I'm just focussing on the power cars so I've got a little while before I need to decide exactly how I'm going to do the livery on the coaches. 

post-21606-0-98247200-1450109992.png

As you can see it looks as if the colour is slightly darker in the livery spec. 

(This was taken from the brochure about the new franchise, below)

nfgwf.pdf

For the doors I am going to try and mix my own paint to some pictures that I have of the model. 

Edited by xavsinden4

• RMweb Gold

Fair play to you, I could never work in N gauge, much too fiddly for me to get right!

I've done some more research and I think the matte stripe is in fact very slightly darker than the main body. I was going to model it slightly darker anyway though because you can't put most waterslide transfers on a matte surface, so my plan was to do a slightly darker gloss colour, and then maybe put matte varnish over it once the transfer is down, however I'm not sure if that will work so I need to do a practice piece! For the moment though I'm just focussing on the power cars so I've got a little while before I need to decide exactly how I'm going to do the livery on the coaches. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 16.19.29.png

As you can see it looks as if the colour is slightly darker in the livery spec. 

(This was taken from the brochure about the new franchise, below)

attachicon.gifnfgwf.pdf

For the doors I am going to try and mix my own paint to some pictures that I have of the model. 

I'll let you know what silver I use which may help you. There's been a couple of really good efforts on ebay of late too. Good luck and keep us updated with pictures.

I'll let you know what silver I use which may help you. There's been a couple of really good efforts on ebay of late too. Good luck and keep us updated with pictures.

Thanks!

Yes I've seen lots of good ones on ebay, and a few 57s have started turning up too! Have only seen one 166 so far. The HSTs on ebay so far have been the Lima power cars, it seems that I'm the only person brave (or stupid!) enough to risk damaging the new Hornby models! 

Update

Apologies for the lack of updates, there hasn't been a lot going on at the moment, however I'm hoping to get a lot done this holiday. Only a little bit more to do on the painting side, and then on to varnishing/transfers. 

The only news is that I've bought a Bachmann class 150/1 which is going to go green along side the HST,  I got it second hand for only £57 which is an absolute bargain! I can start on the base green body and silver doors when it arrives, but I'll have to wait until 150232 comes back from Wolverton Works before I can do the details and order the transfers. I won't be able to model 150232 as it's a 150/2 with end gangways and sliding cab doors, whereas my 150/1 has no end gangways and slam cab doors. I don't know what number I'll give it yet, it doesn't really matter though as all the GWR 150s are set to go green at some point. It won't be 150128 however, as that is the one that Bachmann produced in FGW blue, and I don't want to end up with cloned trains if I ever buy it!

• 2 weeks later...

Update

The painting is done! It's taken forever but I am finally at a stage where I'm happy with it and can move on. Most of the time spent painting was going over fiddly areas with a brush, and once I'd started that I was constantly finding small areas that could be improved.

I've now applied the first coat of varnish, for this I'm using Johnson's Klear. I haven't used it before, but it was recommended for use with the decals that I'm using, so I thought I should give it a go. Here's what the power cars looked like immediately after the first coat was applied:

post-21606-0-34282200-1451672817.jpg

As you can see, when wet the varnish appears to be rough with many bubbles, however apparently this will disappear as it dries leaving a smooth finish. 

I think I'll go for at least a couple of coats of this before I put the transfers on, if all goes to plan I'll have the varnishing done by tomorrow evening, and then I can move on to my favourite part!

• Like 1

The Finished Power Cars

They are finally done! The transfers went on very easily and the carrier film is almost invisible! I put 4 coats of varnish under the transfers and one on top of them to seal them in. Adding the details such as the handrails proved to be very fiddly, and the driver's console was a nightmare to fit back in place! However it is done and I am very pleased with the results! 

post-21606-0-27796600-1451934453_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-20609100-1451934469_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-95907600-1451934492_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-17086100-1451934523_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-08167500-1451934539_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to do 8 Mk.3s... 

I don't have any yet that I'm willing to paint, so progress on the HST will have to be halted until I can source some! 

In the meantime however, I will be turning my attention as I mentioned before to a Bachmann class 150/1. This will be going green next:

post-21606-0-43811200-1451934590_thumb.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed following the first phase of green-ing, and I will be back shortly with more progress! 

Edited by xavsinden4
  • Like 7

Looking Good! I was lucky enought to catch the real green HST at Westbury on Friday. The new livery does look rather smart. Looking forward to seeing the 150.

Matthew

Thanks!

Ah that is lucky, I still haven't been able to even see it yet! I agree its a great livery, and the new interior looks just as smart too. 

In regards to the 150, I'm not sure yet if I should wait until a 150/1 appears in green or if I should paint it to the spec of the 150/2. I would have thought everything would be the same except for the colour of the cab doors, so I might just go for it. Whatever happens, it will go green eventually!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks very good mate, maybe the Mark 3s should be done before the 150 ;-)

Yes that would probably be the logical way of doing things! I always planned to do the MK.3s straight after the 43s, but I haven't been able to get any yet! The 150 wasn't planned, it was very much an impulse purchase. I'm hopefully going to get the 150 and some Mk.3s painted at the same tame, which makes sense seeing as though they use the same colours!

I've also recently heard that the 150/1s aren't even staying in the franchise once the DMU cascade starts so they most likely won't go green at all! I'm not sure how true that is though, as some of them have been turned into 150/9s with the insertion of a 150/2 driving vehicle in the middle, and I would imagine these will be staying with GWR, so I might number it as a 150/9 and insert a middle car at a latter date. I could also possibly make it a 150/0, however these have different cab doors and a middle car which would be difficult to model. 

There's not going to be a lot of progress I'm afraid until the weather turns a bit nicer and I can get outside for airbrushing, but I certainly haven't forgotten this project!

Edited by xavsinden4

• RMweb Gold

Yes that would probably be the logical way of doing things! I always planned to do the MK.3s straight after the 43s, but I haven't been able to get any yet! The 150 wasn't planned, it was very much an impulse purchase. I'm hopefully going to get the 150 and some Mk.3s painted at the same tame, which makes sense seeing as though they use the same colours!

I've also recently heard that the 150/1s aren't even staying in the franchise once the DMU cascade starts so they most likely won't go green at all! I'm not sure how true that is though, as some of them have been turned into 150/9s with the insertion of a 150/2 driving vehicle in the middle, and I would imagine these will be staying with GWR, so I might number it as a 150/9 and insert a middle car at a latter date. I could also possibly make it a 150/0, however these have different cab doors and a middle car which would be difficult to model. 

There's not going to be a lot of progress I'm afraid until the weather turns a bit nicer and I can get outside for airbrushing, but I certainly haven't forgotten this project!

Make sure you use the Lima MK3s so that you can take the windows out. The later Hornby ones have the windows stuck in!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you use the Lima MK3s so that you can take the windows out. The later Hornby ones have the windows stuck in!

I'm not sure why, but to me the Lima Mk.3s just dont look right. I'll find away around the stuck in windows, the power cars' windows were stuck in with a lot of glue but I managed to prise them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not sure why, but to me the Lima Mk.3s just dont look right. I'll find away around the stuck in windows, the power cars' windows were stuck in with a lot of glue but I managed to prise them out.

One little 'cheat' worth trying is using Humbrol Maskol fluid, painted over the glued-in windows - it quickly dries to rubber and can be painted over, then easily peeled off once paint is dry! ;)

One little 'cheat' worth trying is using Humbrol Maskol fluid, painted over the glued-in windows - it quickly dries to rubber and can be painted over, then easily peeled off once paint is dry! ;)

Thanks for the tip, certainly something worth trying! Although I'd be very paranoid about the paint bleeding into the edges of the windows! 

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late advice, its only the 150/2s and 150001 and 002 which are going to be painted green, all the 150/1s (and 143 and 153s) are leaving the franchise and will remain in their current colours to the end.

Edit-

the middle coaches of the 3 coach sets (57209 and 57212) will be reformed into a 150/2, one of the coaches will be fitted with a universal toilet and they will then be painted green, probably as 150209 at which point it will become a bog standard (do you see what I did there . :angel: ) 150/2 in the fleet.

The outer coaches will become 150125 and 126 and will leave the franchise along with all the other 150/1s.

Edited by royaloak

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just skimming this thread so apologies if I've missed this already but 43003 is in green running with a blue set - not sure if they are waiting for better mk3s as well though!

43003 isn't green at the moment, perhaps you are thinking of 43005? I've seen it running with the blue coaches quite a lot, it was originally paired with the coaching set LA16 which is also in green but as yet has not had an interior refurbishment, but this has been running with blue powercars! LA16 and 43187/8 are still running as a set though! 

Sorry for the late advice, its only the 150/2s and 150001 and 002 which are going to be painted green, all the 150/1s (and 143 and 153s) are leaving the franchise and will remain in their current colours to the end.

Edit-

the middle coaches of the 3 coach sets (57209 and 57212) will be reformed into a 150/2, one of the coaches will be fitted with a universal toilet and they will then be painted green, probably as 150209 at which point it will become a bog standard (do you see what I did there . :angel: ) 150/2 in the fleet.

The outer coaches will become 150125 and 126 and will leave the franchise along with all the other 150/1s.

I know! Very annoying as I bought the 150/1 one not long before I found this out! I might have to use a bit of modellers licence and make it a 'what if' model! 

• RMweb Premium

43003 isn't green at the moment, perhaps you are thinking of 43005? I've seen it running with the blue coaches quite a lot, it was originally paired with the coaching set LA16 which is also in green but as yet has not had an interior refurbishment, but this has been running with blue powercars! LA16 and 43187/8 are still running as a set though!

Could be yes. Saw it before reading this thread and was going from memory though I did try to check!

• Like 1

In the last few weeks the two green class 43's have been swapped on and off almost daily it seems from their matching green set of mk3's and fgw sets.

For a while all four green 43's were running with blue coaches, but 43188 and 43187 remained as a pair whilst 43005 and 43041 were split up. 43188 and 187 are now back with the green coaching set LA16 with the refurbished interior (last time I saw them),  but I believe the other two are still running separately from green set LA15 with the un-refurbished interior. 

Edited by xavsinden4

As of this morning:

LA16 (with the un-refurbished interior) has 43005 (green) and 43133 (blue)

LA15 (with the refurbished green interior) has 43188 and 43187 (both green) and is on depot today (so is subject to change!)

The other green power car (43041) is on OC31 with 43170 (all blue power car and set.)

They do seem to be chopping and changing quite a bit at the moment so that may all change by tomorrow!

Alex