Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

I'm pretty sure the NCB locos were black.....certainly the Littleton colliery pair were.

https://flic.kr/p/9GhJdv

https://flic.kr/p/ak4o4x

The bufferbeam paint style was fairly individual.

Black and Dark Blue are difficult colours to distinguish, I was convinced that Paxman No3 at Ashington was Black when it was actually in NCB Dark Blue (Philadelphia) Livery!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Black and Dark Blue are difficult colours to distinguish, I was convinced that Paxman No3 at Ashington was Black when it was actually in NCB Dark Blue (Philadelphia) Livery!

Mark Saunders

I think you may have a point..... have a look at this video around 6:45 of the loco pictured earlier.

Edited by stovepipe

• 2 months later...

Compared to some forthcoming models, the response to this seems muted, which is a pity. I hope it’s a success for Oxford Rail. Certainly it looks excellent and I’m looking forward to it as much as anything else but with my usual caution regarding a manufacturer fairly new to the game. It has been pointed out, for example, that the wasp stripes on the Port of London version should be blue and yellow rather than black and yellow but we haven’t seen a revision yet.

Based on the running of the Adams Radial, I’m fairly confident that the running will be good but why do manufacturers show videos of models whizzing along at high speed? It isn’t particularly difficult to produce a model which runs smoothly at speed (although there are dishonourable exceptions) but what I want to see is the model running steadily very slowly, especially through points.

• Like 1

The projection on the top leading edge of the bonnet to which the YORKSHIRE plate would be fitted looks very odd. It appears to have a depression in the top whereas it should just be flat and faired into the top of the bonnet.

Other than that it's starting to look pretty good.

Compared to some forthcoming models, the response to this seems muted, which is a pity.

Well, I did get very excited and promptly pre-ordered one of each when they were announced, however I have no photos or personal experience of the things to share on the thread so I'm just patiently waiting for them to arrive :-)

Of a side note, has there been any suggestion of a price bracket yet or is that still TBA?

Dan :-)

• Like 2

The projection on the top leading edge of the bonnet to which the YORKSHIRE plate would be fitted looks very odd. It appears to have a depression in the top whereas it should just be flat and faired into the top of the bonnet.

Other than that it's starting to look pretty good.

Interesting the only picture I have found of the top, not very clear but shows a void with I presume the radiator filler cap. Would it have been a flap over the top to fair it in?

Could be, the panel for the Yorkshire nameplate looks too deep from the front and too prominent at the side. Just doesn't look quite right. Otherwise the model looks pretty good.

I've got three on order to go with a pair of Judith Edge kit builds. I'll be repainting them anyway so a bit of modification is no issue for me but it would be good if they were right to start with.

Either way Mike your kit captures the essential appearance much better. That raised 'well' on the GV model just doesn't capture it.

Out with the emery paper probably......

• 2 weeks later...

This looks excellent - put money where the mouth is and placed an order for the NCB one.  It will look nice paired with the NCB Hornby Sentinel.

I agree we need to see videos of models like this shunting to get an idea of how slow you can get it to run when buffering up.

• RMweb Premium

Talk of slow running reminds me of something I saw at Scunthorpe many years ago. A Janus running light engine into a dead end siding at some speed (perhaps 15mph or so), brakes applied very hard, wheels locked, loco reversed, brakes released, power back on and away in the opposite direction. I don't think I've ever seen this done on a model railway though......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today my wife and I went to the preserved railway at Kirkby Stephen, it was as their model railway show.  An excellent event.  One of the attractions was 'drive a diesel for a fiver'.  This was the loco.

post-19248-0-23181900-1466967953.jpg

Yes, a Janus.  What a great loco and we both had a drive, brilliant.  It does mean I'll have to get the model when it comes out.  Not sure which one to go for as I would prefer plain green or blue, or even better a model of the one I drove today.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
Our Janus 0-6-0 Diesel Locomotive will also be available with a DCC Sound Fitted option.

With deliveries of the National Coal board variant due in Q4 this year we thought it would be appropriate to extend the options with DCC Sound.

The Decoder is being supplied by ESU and will be their v4.0 Loksound decoder matched to one of their speakers. Inside the loco is a custom built sound chamber - due mainly to the small space available for Sound.

A preserved loco has been recorded in use at the Appleby Frodingham Railway Preservation Society site and will now be mastered by DCC Sound expert Legomanbiffo.

You can listen to some of the raw sound files via these links:

Engine Running

Horn

GVH Code Name SRP   Golden Valley Hobbies products   GV2012 ## NCB Janus 0-6-0 Diesel £89.99 GV2012XS ## NCB Janus 0-6-0 Diesel DCC Sound Fitted £199.
  • Like 1

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has a picture of the janus that was on the Llangollen railway 25 years ago. Before i started as a signalman i was employed at Llangollen and the janus was my fav loco to drive. 1 of the 2 models ive ordered will be painted to suit. But as it was a little before the digital age i cant find a picture of it and my memory might remember the colours used it dont remember what was painted in that colour.

Thank you for any help

• 2 weeks later...