Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

I pre-ordered a sound-fitted Janus, from Hattons, on the basis of being impressed by hearing the Legomanbiffo Janus sound on youtube. I have contacted Hattons to ask whether the sounds on the Janus are factory-fitted or are done by a third party. Hattons have told me that they do the sound fitting themselves, on site, before despatch but the sound files are provided by Olivias Trains.

As I have not heard the sounds done for this loco by Olivias Trains, and having read mixed reviews about their sounds I'm wondering if I should cancel the order and buy a plain DC version that I can fit the Legoman sound to later.

Has anyone yet heard the soundfiles made by Olivias Trains for this model?

What issues?

The issues with 'other Oxford Diecast RTR locomotives' ie the Radial tank and the Dean Goods, all fully documented on their threads. What I don't want to do is to commit to spending money on a model which doesn't meet reasonable standards of accuracy, and neither the Dean Goods or the Radial Tank do that. Nor do the models of wagons the Oxford have produced, also documented on their threads.

I'm thinking it might be better to wait until it has been given pretty good reviews here before buying the model, but I haven't yet decided.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Ruston I'm a little confused by your comments.

Golden Valley Hobbies, who are having this loco produced by Oxford Rail are offering DC and DCC sound options with the sound done by Legomanbiffo.

It sounds to me as if you have bought a DC version from Hattons with their added sound option if it's having its sound fitted by them with a project from Olivias

Ruston I'm a little confused by your comments.

Golden Valley Hobbies, who are having this loco produced by Oxford Rail are offering DC and DCC sound options with the sound done by Legomanbiffo.

It sounds to me as if you have bought a DC version from Hattons with their added sound option if it's having its sound fitted by them with a project from Olivias

I haven't bought anything yet. I have pre-ordered a Janus, from Hattons. Reading the Model Shops thread, on RMweb, I saw it mentioned that Hattons get locos fitted with sound by Olivias Trains and reading the negative comments about that shop/company I wanted to know about who is providing and fitting the sound in the Janus that Hattons are listing. I emailed Hattons and was told that they (Hattons) will be fitting the DCC sound equipment at their own premises and that the soundfiles are provided by Olivias Trains.

However, I have just this morning recieved this email:

Dear David,

Further to this email, please accept my apologies as you have incorrectly been advised. Where locos are supplied as sound fitted (rather than us fitting the sounds) these are pre-fitted by the manufacturer with their choice of decoder and sound project. In this instance, I can confirm that these will be supplied with a Loksound V4 with the manufacturer's own project which I believe to be supplied by Legomanbiffo.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion on this matter however I hope this information is useful to you.

Kind Regards,

Dave Martin

Buying Manager

Hatton's Model Railways

17 Montague Road

Widnes

WA8 8FZ

I guess he must have read my message on here.

I haven't bought anything yet. I have pre-ordered a Janus, from Hattons. Reading the Model Shops thread, on RMweb, I saw it mentioned that Hattons get locos fitted with sound by Olivias Trains and reading the negative comments about that shop/company I wanted to know about who is providing and fitting the sound in the Janus that Hattons are listing. I emailed Hattons and was told that they (Hattons) will be fitting the DCC sound equipment at their own premises and that the soundfiles are provided by Olivias Trains.

However, I have just this morning recieved this email:

I guess he must have read my message on here.

That’s a relief and thank you for clearing it up. The whole project looks good, sounds good and is reasonably priced. I’m not able to say that very much these days!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Anyone heard or know when new release Janus shunter arrive UK from china ?

I did read that online say quarter 2

Thank you

Hatton's have April / May for due dates.

The British Steel liveried model is sold out to pre-orders on Hatton's too.

Cheers,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I called in my local model shop, the other day.

To order a British steel version. And was told that "they have had some QC problems.

so it looks like they will be another 2 or 3 months away".

I still ordered one any way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On the Golden Valley Hobbies website today

Updated: 2nd June 2017
Our first stock has left the factory and is heading towards us!
GV2012 - National Coal board Janus 0-6-0
GV6012 - NCB 3 pack wagons
GVCOAL - - 3 pack of wagon loads (Coal)
Release expected early July 2017

Owen
Edited by Hippo

On the Golden Valley Hobbies website today

Updated: 2nd June 2017
Our first stock has left the factory and is heading towards us!
GV2012 - National Coal board Janus 0-6-0
GV6012 - NCB 3 pack wagons
GVCOAL - - 3 pack of wagon loads (Coal)
Release expected early July 2017

Owen

Thank you for the information! Mine’s been pre-ordered with sound. I’m rather more excited about this loco than most. Perhaps because the Oxford loco I have runs beautifully, perhaps because it’s a bargain, perhaps because it’s novel. Certainly because the pictures of it look stunning. 

• 4 weeks later...

What happens when a model lands on the desk here for photos and a review?

attachicon.gif11.jpg

My first thought was "Wow! That must have been a very heavy landing!" :jester:  Then I read on and found Phil had beaten me to it. Oh well. :)

Edited by SRman