Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

Adding sound to the Czech 742 proved a lot more difficult than expected....

Artol Sounds work on Zimo chips so I purchased the relevant MX645 chip and tried to load the project to it using my Roco Z21. However nothing worked and had quite an online discussion with both Peter (Artol) and Kevin (Costal DCC) neither could understand why it didn’t work.

I’ve previously updated several MX645 chips using the same method but this is the first time I’d tried to update a 22 pin version.

Anyway a big thank you to Kevin at Costal DCC, for his extremely speedy service, who managed to upload the sound file to the chip using his Zimo uploader so I now have a CD 742 with sound :-)

Edited by Neils WRX

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to rename this thread to reflect the fact that the layout is becoming more and more Czech and I’m currently in the process of building (slowly) an Igra Model goodshed.

Anyway one of my searches on Ebay came up trumps at the weekend and I’ve added another former Danish (DSB) Nohab to the collection.

This time one in Santa Fe “Warbonnet”livery, numbered MY1125. I’ve fitted a Lok Pilot V4 chip as a temporary measure, prior to a Lok Sound Full Throttle chip being purchased in due course.

post-27790-0-54160600-1519337927_thumb.jpeg

I’ve also added a first picture of the goods shed in early stages of construction.

post-27790-0-81905900-1519338238_thumb.jpeg

Right back to Czech modelling....

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

About time for another update. I’ve changed the title to reflect that the fact the layout has really a Czech bias now.

I visited the excellent ModelRail Scotland Exhibition at the SECC the other week and picked up a few secnic bits and pieces.

Stock wise I’ve added another MTB Model to the roster, this time a class 721 “Hektor”.

Construction of the goods shed has continued (slowly), the model is temporarily placed in the pictures.

One other significant change is that I have removed the catenary masts, as the Czech layout is based on an un-electrified secondary line. However the loss of the masts does make the layout look a bit flat now!!

Neil

MTB 721
post-27790-0-37265800-1521236413_thumb.jpeg

The Goodshed
post-27790-0-41535200-1521236976_thumb.jpeg

The station, with a MTB 721 stabled and a MTB 751 on a freight train
post-27790-0-67929200-1521237363_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 3

Looking good!

I recently added catenary masts to a layout and it make a huge visual difference. Your layout still looks good without masts. The addition of yard lamps, platform lights and signals will add the important vertical element in due course...

I watched a few of the You Tube videos of the recent Ontraxs 2018 show in Netherlands. One layout really caught my eye on there - Perstejn, a Czech based layout (without catenary). It is well worth looking out for....

Peter

• Like 1

Looking good!

I recently added catenary masts to a layout and it make a huge visual difference. Your layout still looks good without masts. The addition of yard lamps, platform lights and signals will add the important vertical element in due course...

I watched a few of the You Tube videos of the recent Ontraxs 2018 show in Netherlands. One layout really caught my eye on there - Perstejn, a Czech based layout (without catenary). It is well worth looking out for....

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the positive comments, I spent a bit of time on YouTube looking at the Czech layout you suggested, very impressive, I liked the “background sounds” it had as well, this might be something I try to add in due course.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Latest arrivals from Gaugemaster, both slightly new for my Era 5 layout, first a Slovak covered long wheelbase wagon in ZSSK Cargo colours by Roco. The wagon is in the factory loading bay, the factory will of course be detailed in due course.

post-27790-0-38411100-1522276068_thumb.jpeg

Next a Czech CZ bogie open ( Eanos ) again by Roco seen here in the loops opposite the station.

post-27790-0-06431200-1522276295_thumb.jpeg

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The nice thing with continental railway is that you can also run stock from other countries - which is quite normal as most of the rolling stock is compatible - only the electric locomotives (also the others because of the different safety systems) need some attention because of the different headroom and power systems. So I have rolling stock from Czech, German, Italian origin running on my Austrian layout and it is still prototypical. Especially the Eanos you will find in several countries. And I am also running a Slovak engine there - which is of course a multisystem one as Slovakia is on 25kV 50Hz.

• Like 2

The nice thing with continental railway is that you can also run stock from other countries - which is quite normal as most of the rolling stock is compatible - only the electric locomotives (also the others because of the different safety systems) need some attention because of the different headroom and power systems. So I have rolling stock from Czech, German, Italian origin running on my Austrian layout and it is still prototypical. Especially the Eanos you will find in several countries. And I am also running a Slovak engine there - which is of course a multisystem one as Slovakia is on 25kV 50Hz.

Isn't 3kV DC more common in Slovakia? The mainline that runs east through Poprad to Kosice certanly is. I think the 25kV is limited to the southwestern part of the country.

I think I have wagons from most European administrations, ranging from Norway to Greece. My prototype for everything is that I have seen a couple of Danish long wheelbase vans on a freight in Athens some years back as well as German wagons in Sarajevo.

On the Czech layout most of the wagons are of course CD, mixed with German, Austrian, Slovak and Hungarian. Locos are only Czech and German on the cross border passenger services. Where as in Croatian mode I run mainly wagons from the former Yugoslavia states, and Hungarian ones as well as odd interlopers.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

Isn't 3kV DC more common in Slovakia? The mainline that runs east through Poprad to Kosice certanly is. I think the 25kV is limited to the southwestern part of the country.

Railfan Europe quotes:

3509km standard gauge, 758km electrified at 3000V= and 670km at 25kV 50Hz

• 3 weeks later...

I got the proper camera out last night and took a few pictures of the layout so thought I’d share them on the thread. The pictures do make it look much better than it is in “real life”.

Here a Roco Class 751 Bardotka 751041 runs round its freight train in the station.

post-27790-0-80544100-1523654900_thumb.jpeg

post-27790-0-01883000-1523655001_thumb.jpeg

Here another Roco Bardotka this time a class 749 numbered 749042 stands on a passenger service prior to being detached and running into the headshunt.

post-27790-0-68431000-1523655328_thumb.jpeg

The layout has an out based shunting / trip loco which is normally a class 721 / 742 / 770, here a class 721 still in CSD red livery stands in front of the goodshed. The 721 is a MTB Model which is still awaiting a DCC Sound Chip. The building is a Igra Model kit that is still to be detailed with guttering etc added.

post-27790-0-09442500-1523655585_thumb.jpeg

Prototype class 751 Bardotka numbered 751004 awaits departure from the station (back to the fiddle yard). The station building is again an Igra Model kit, and has the look of a typical Czech station. The 751 is also a MTB one but this one does have sound fitted.

post-27790-0-40227500-1523655753_thumb.jpeg

post-27790-0-01408000-1523655792_thumb.jpeg

Enjoy,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, i’ve actually done quite a bit ( by my standards ) in the last couple of weeks

When the layout was originally designed and construction started it was as a straight DC layout with lots of isolating sections and power feeds. When I switched to DCC a few years back I operated the layout with all the isolation sections switched off. This did have a few short comings as depending on which way some points were set would depend if locomotive sat in a loop or siding would have its engine running and lights on.

Point control is still DC with studs and pencil on the panel.

I’ve at last fixed this with a simple re-wire, so I can now have power anywhere, see the picture below with 5 Roco 749 / 751 all with lights on!!

41701120742_81ebdacc4b_c.jpgRoco Czech CD 751 & 749 - Bardotka’s by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

One other job i’ve got round to, is adding an additional road in the Fiddle Yard, to make the layout better to operate.

Only one item of Czech rolling stock arrived this week, and that’s a Piko CD Container Flat which is loaded with logs (real ones). The picture below shows the wagon in the log loading siding.

post-27790-0-76034500-1524865638_thumb.jpeg

I’ve also added a few detailing bits to the station building and factory, more of that next time.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The big news is I’ve discovered Youtube, so I’ve uploaded my FlickR videos to it.

My first new video is of the sound file I’ve fitted to the MTB 721. Again I have used the excellent Artol sounds. Here the 721 arrives on a heavy cement train on full power then coasts into the station, the wagons are by Bramos.

[yt]

[/yt]

This weeks new arrival is another Bardotka in a slightly different livery. This one is in CSD livery complete with “Red Star” on the front. I think the model is actually an Era VI model rather than an Era IV one, and looking at photos online it carried this livery in 2010 with round buffers. The model has of course been fitted with Artol sounds on a Zimo chip with a “sugar cube” speaker, even with a tiny speaker I turn the volume down as it can get very noisy in my railway room!!

28111711038_2d5e16c88d_c.jpgRoco Czech CD T478.1010 - Bardotka by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

As I had the GoPro out, filmed another quick MP4, this time a Roco 770 fitted with ESU Loksound departs on a mixed freight.

[yt]

[/yt]

Will try and get a few more videos made in the next few days.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 2

Had the Go-pro out again!!

This time its a clip of a Czech 754 which originally had Roco sound but has been reflashed with Artol sounds which in my view give a far better “soundtrack” than the Roco one which sounded far to interesting for a “Google”...

Here the 754 departs on a passenger service of single and double deck coaches.

[yt]

[/yt]

Next a Czech 781 by Roco which has been fitted with ESU Loksound chip, the loco arrives in the station and stops briefly before moving off.

It would be good if ESU added “Full Throttle / Drive Hold” to European Models in the same way they have to their American Models.

[yt]

[/yt]

Hope you enjoy them.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 3

I’ve actually managed to do a bit more modelling over the last week or so and resolved one of the layouts outstanding issues, this was how do I disguise the scenic break on the right hand side of the layout.

Originally I’d planned to build a footbridge and I’d even brought the kits to build it. The bridge was going to be very rusty and in poor condition (but still in use).

Then I considered a concrete road over bridge “in low relief” (similar to the one at the left end of the layout but without the road deck. But felt that wouldn’t have looked right in the space available. Next I looked at a level crossing which again I felt wouldn’t have looked right. In the end I settled on using tree’s to obscure and take people eyes away from the 3 train shaped holes in the back scene.

The trees are by Hiki and after a good spray of hairspray and painting the trunks I feel they look quite acceptable. When the layout was in its early days I had a line of trees along the road but these were smaller quite cheap and cheerful ones which were temporarily placed and were sold ages ago. I then brought some more “cheap” trees on Ebay although they were the right size they just looked cheap, I guess you get what you pay for. So in the end settled on Heki ones.

I’ve added some more Grass Scene static grass mixing a few shades and lengths and planted the trees. Then I’ve added some of my current favourite scenic accessory Peco self adhesive tufts of grass, again I have mixed a few shades and I’m currently quite pleased with the effect. Although no doubt in a year or so’s time it will start to annoy me and I’ll rip it out....

Here the Roco 754 enters the station through the scenic break

41257238755_9d32a813c8_c.jpgRoco Czech CD 754058 by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

One job still to do in this area is build a small signal cabin to hide the 2 surface mounted point motors (a legacy of my poor planning years ago).

Next think to think about scenic wise is what to put along the other side of the road. Originally when the layout was a “Balkan only” one this was to be a few wrecked houses, with overgrown gardens, implying the houses hadn’t been lived in for a few years. The houses came from Auhagan which I then sliced in half and “wrecked” they were also slightly smaller so did create a bit of perspective. When I changed the layout to represent other countries, I considered making this a lift out bit so I could change the buildings for flats / shops (more kits were purchased...).

I however now thinking the layout might have moved a little away from the town centre, so the flats / shops aren’t really relevant, so I might settle for a bar “on the corner” (as every station needs somewhere close by to get a beer). Then I all I do is replace the houses and gardens depending on how I’m operating the layout.

Now to find a suitable HO kiosk / bar (with tables outside).

Neil

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been nearly a month since my last update, since then we’ve been on holiday in the north of Scotland and think we saw 3 trains in the whole week...

Despite the weather being excellent I have managed a bit of modelling in the “boy room” as my wife calls it. In a previous update I mentioned about the “above surface” point motors on the 3 way point and how I was looking to hide them. The solution I settled on was to use a signal cabin, however there seemed to be nothing on the market that fitted the site, so I settled on modifying an Igra Model kit and extending the frontage. I’ve also added guttering and down pipes to the excellent kit. The building is nearly finished but it does need a little weathering. I am also considering putting a blind in the window to hide the point wiring or I just paint the cables so they don’t show through. I’m going to add a couple of chairs on the “patio area” so the staff have somewhere to sit in the sun between trains.

28900444458_246b385df1_c.jpgCD 742 - MTB HO by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Rolling stock wise I’ve added some more cross border stock with another DBAG 202 from Roco in DB Neu Red but this time with sound and a Halberstadt suburban coach in stripy livery (not sure what its called) made by Sachsenmodelle. This looks the part as a short train which is exactly how I remember so many former DR branch lines before either the arrival of units or closure. The 202 came from a shop in Holland as nowhere in the UK had it in stock and the coach from Contikits.

28803156688_d7b9afd1d4_c.jpgDBAG 202 781- Roco by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

42675967581_96ca3e91aa_c.jpgDBAG Halberstadt Suburban Coach - Sachsenmodelle by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

The Halberstadt coach can also be used in the rake of 3 Tillig Halberstadt coaches which are in DBAG red livery. I remember seeing both liveries side by side.

Here they are arriving (from the Fiddle Yard) behind a Roco 232. This must be a weekend service as the train length has increased to 3 vehicles from the normal weekday 1 or 2 coaches.

40963331570_2c1199e824_c.jpgDBAG 232683 - Roco by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

I’ve also carried on with a few other detailing jobs on the Czech station building and goods shed will supply some pictures in a future update

Next update is also likely to be Croatian based as I have a sound fitted VT95 chassis ready to swap with my analogue 7221 chassis.

Hope your not bored reading my ramblings.

Neil

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Time for another update as over a month or so has gone by since my last ramblings.

Not much actual modelling has taken place (well nothing that’s really worth taking pictures of). All I’ve done is undertake a few bits of detailing on the factory, goods shed and station building, just trying to improve things a bit.

“Chequebook modelling” wise there have been a few arrivals that are worth reporting.

I’ve added a Piko German Railways DBAG class 219 in Red livery to the cross border roster. This locomotive was the loudest DCC Sound model I think I own, which is ironic as when 219’s were in regular passenger service I never rated them and much preferred a 232. It was just a simple matter of turning the CV volume to a more acceptable level to stop my ears bleeding.... The model came via a well known online auction site and was a bit of a bargain for a brand new model.

43168190601_71b7cd83f0_c.jpgDBAG 219084 - Piko by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Another Piko acquisition this time is a Czech 770 in CSD Red and Yellow livery. My other 770 is by Roco but they don’t seem to offer this livery. The model has a “Red Star” on the front, this will be removed as they disappeared very quickly once the wall came down.

The model was a spur of the moment purchase and came from a shop in Germany where it was on offer at a price that was just to good to ignore. The locomotive has had an ESU Lok Sound Plux22 chip added, which I uploaded the ESU project to the chip using the Lok Programmer. However unlike my other models I had to solder the speaker wires on to the circuit board which is something I’d never done before. Much to my surprise everything worked!!! I have used the ESU round speaker as opposed to the “Sugar cube” in the Roco model, which gives a slightly better sound with a bit more rumble although there is very little to tell between them in my opinion. Might have to do another comparison video at some point.

42463795124_8173146207_c.jpgCSD 770036 - Piko by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

The final addition is by the Czech manufacturer MTB, the model of a Czech 854 single car DMU in CD era VI livery.

I had this model on order as soon as it was announced. The model is fitted with interior and exterior lights and has been fitted with a temporary Decoder. Longer term l’d like to add sound to it, probably using the relevant Artol Sound project just not sure where to mount the speaker yet.

43301211582_f563f80fc1_c.jpgCD 854203 - MTB HO by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while since my last update, I’ve come to the conclusion I’m the complete opposite of modellers that appear on the Great Model Railway Challenge on TV. They can build a complete layout in 3 days, I can build a simple wagon kit in 3 months.... (and counting)

A little while ago I purchased some wagons from a shop in the Czech Republic and added a couple of cheap wagon kits to the box as well (just to bulk the order up a bit.

Eventually I’ve got around to starting to make one. This kit is by a company called ES-Pecky and is of a Kbps long wheelbase timber wagon. The prototype wagons were converted from redundant vans, and they have a surprising resemblance to the British OTA timber wagons that used to operate in the UK.

On opening the box the wagon kit had a surprising amount of “flash” around all the parts which had to be carefully removed.

43754628575_423b1552ac_c.jpgES Pecky CD Kbps Timber Wagon kit by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

I did have a few issues assembling the kit as my normal plastic cement glue wasn’t sticking the bits together very well for some reason, but got there in the end. I might try a different adhesive for the next one.

There were no wheels in the kit so I just used some Roco ones I had in my spares box. At one stage I had thought about using a chassis off a Roco flat wagon, but the model actually ran well so I’ve stuck with the existing chassis and under frame.

43945060814_df8f122e82_c.jpgES Pecky CD Kbps Timber Wagon kit by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Next came to painting the wagon, I tried a Railmatch Red colour in a spray can, but this just didn’t look right, so on another forum I was recommended using a Halfords Red primer (again in a rattle can) however I’m still not sure about the shade. Although it does look better than the first effort.

45491378192_279b47242e_c.jpgCD Kbps - www.ES-Pecky.cz by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Next stage will be to apply the transfers that came with the kit, finishing off with a load of sticks out the garden to represent a log load.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

By coincidence I have my timber wagon on the workbench as have just added a bit more weight underneath it using liquid lead. This was picked up along with some of their 4 wheel coach kits from their shop in Pecky, a short walk from the station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Franti%C5%A1ek+Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1%C4%8Dek/@50.0881293,15.029128,18.45z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x470c0d93fbc9ce2b:0xedeac3540c4c26fd!2s289+11+Pe%C4%8Dky,+Czechia!3b1!8m2!3d50.0904268!4d15.0301748!3m4!1s0x470c0d90c5caf197:0x64a3295a66c04eef!8m2!3d50.0880046!4d15.0292613

As you say there is a lot of flash to clean off but does make a nice model once that stage is completed.

I used Precision paints BR bauxite red as its a close match to the ready to run CD wagons that I have although a touch lighter but they tend to fade. It will be weathered in the next week or so prior ot the layout appearing at the NEC.

post-1557-0-91385800-1542165668_thumb.jpg

I do like the class 854 railcars, spent many an hour on them but waiting for MTB to do a red with cream band livery. Try an iphone 4 speaker as they are slim, sound superb and can be cut down in length a bit if necessary, so it may fit in the roof area.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XT1GV9Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 5

I did have a few issues assembling the kit as my normal plastic cement glue wasn’t sticking the bits together very well for some reason, but got there in the end. I might try a different adhesive for the next one.

Hi Neil,

It looks like a resin kit to me, did you wash the parts with detergent to get rid of any remaining mould release agent first? I also roughen the edges to be glued slightly with a bit of fine grade sandpaper and then use 2-part Araldite adhesive.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Neil,

It looks like a resin kit to me, did you wash the parts with detergent to get rid of any remaining mould release agent first? I also roughen the edges to be glued slightly with a bit of fine grade sandpaper and then use 2-part Araldite adhesive.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the tip I didn’t know about cleaning the model, I just cut off the excess flash and that was it, I did rough the sides up a bit though and that seemed to help. I’ll try the two part adhesive for the next one .

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for the tip I didn’t know about cleaning the model, I just cut off the excess flash and that was it, I did rough the sides up a bit though and that seemed to help. I’ll try the two part adhesive for the next one .

Neil,

The release agent stops the parts being cast from sticking to the mould as the resin sets, leaves a faint oily/waxy sheen that then also stops glue sticking to it. I scrub with warm water and Fairy liquid and rub down. Solvents don't work so well as they can't dissolve the surface as when joining plastic, using a resin adhesive like Araldite means you are using like to stick like to like...

I've experimented with making cast resin components in the past; messy and expensive. :^)

Peter.

By coincidence I have my timber wagon on the workbench as have just added a bit more weight underneath it using liquid lead. This was picked up along with some of their 4 wheel coach kits from their shop in Pecky, a short walk from the station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/František+Dvořáček/@50.0881293,15.029128,18.45z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x470c0d93fbc9ce2b:0xedeac3540c4c26fd!2s289+11+Pečky,+Czechia!3b1!8m2!3d50.0904268!4d15.0301748!3m4!1s0x470c0d90c5caf197:0x64a3295a66c04eef!8m2!3d50.0880046!4d15.0292613

As you say there is a lot of flash to clean off but does make a nice model once that stage is completed.

I used Precision paints BR bauxite red as its a close match to the ready to run CD wagons that I have although a touch lighter but they tend to fade. It will be weathered in the next week or so prior ot the layout appearing at the NEC.

attachicon.gif20181114_025639.jpg

I do like the class 854 railcars, spent many an hour on them but waiting for MTB to do a red with cream band livery. Try an iphone 4 speaker as they are slim, sound superb and can be cut down in length a bit if necessary, so it may fit in the roof area.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XT1GV9Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Must be honest I’d prefer the 854 in Red and Cream as well, I did think about buying a CSD one and renumbering it, but in the end just went for the eraVI one as I do have a few models in that livery style. Will have a look at options for fitting the speaker.

As you say that is a coincidence!!!

Re the wagon colour ironically it was the Red Bauxite I used first but it looked a bit to brown.

Here’s a comparison between 2 wagons and the colours are similar’ish...

45881823131_f929c935c0_c.jpgCD Wagons by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Maybe I’ll stick with one in this colour and do the next in the Bauxite.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 2