Isle of Man Diecast loco and tram

PaulRhB

I notice next months (June) Railway Modeller is running an article on motorising this loco, looking forward to reading it, be interesting to get a different view on how to go about it.

Maybe oxford might bring out a Motorised version themselves since the tooling is done!!

• Like 1

Depends on if they designed the tooling so that there was space inside for a motor. And they would also have to have designed a motor at the same time. Otherwise they would probably have to do a brand new tooling.

They are lovely models mine is in the display case along with the tram.

From the photographs I’ve seen, they look nice enough for me to have ordered them. From discussions on here, it would take major surgery to motorise the steamer. Even if it were done, the high gloss finish on a die-cast body might jar with other RTR models, not to mention the depiction of the motion. I’m inclined to think that in the unlikely event of Oxford deciding to have a go at RTR 009, it would require a complete retool and a new approach.

A few coaches would be a grand idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

to have a go at RTR 009,

Gawd you'll have them up in arms ;) RTR OOn12 or whatever you want to call it for 3ft gauge ;)

I can't see it to be honest but it would be nice. I think an updated version of the branchlines chassis is more likely. The gloss finish can be sorted in seconds with a waft of satin varnish if you are so inclined. It works well on their vehicles ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Note the first two locos are IoM exclusives so only available direct from them. They are very quick shipping them and very helpful as I got Kissack for a present before they put them online by emailing them. Super models and for once I'm glad they are static so I'm not tempted to build another layout ;)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Note the first two locos are IoM exclusives so only available direct from them. They are very quick shipping them and very helpful as I got Kissack for a present before they put them online by emailing them. Super models and for once I'm glad they are static so I'm not tempted to build another layout ;)

Hopefully they'll correct the rather obvious error on the nameplates....

• 4 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but has anyone figured out the thread dimensions holding the Beyer Peacock models together. I find I need a slightly longer one, but heaven knows whether they’re metric or BA……….

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/01/2022 at 19:08, philg said:

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but has anyone figured out the thread dimensions holding the Beyer Peacock models together. I find I need a slightly longer one, but heaven knows whether they’re metric or BA……….

They won't be BA, nor metric - just Mantric thread. Independent island (well sort of).

• Funny 2

On 08/01/2022 at 19:08, philg said:

I managed to make an M2.5 fit, but I had to experiment with 5mm and 6mm long ones (from eBay as it happens)

• Like 1