Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

The Liz line is a great name....whats wrong with you people  :O

besides she has saved me from President Thatcher and Blair so deserves aircraft carriers, trains, tube line....everything and anything named in her glory!!!

B

Of course, giving Crossrail a line name now raises the question as to why the Overground lines have not been given names and what those names might be.

• RMweb Gold

I recall discussing this issue once with someone involved in the planning. I think one of the issues is one of the space a toilet takes relative to the number of commuters you can have standing in the expected crowded central section

Probably is - but what about bicycles (or will they also be banned?).  The argument doesn't really hold water as I think the basic problem is LUL/TfL confusing the difference between an inner-suburban and outer-suburban train let alone the fact that it will also be an interurban train - their rep at a local meeting seemed rather surprised when I mentioned the ATOC guidelines so that might be the case in the rest of the organisation.

Incidentally I've just had a rather worrying thought - if we were going to have an Up & Down Crossrail (Line) west of Subway Jcn for a mile or thereabouts what on earth are they going to be called now?  I bet that didn't occur to Boris or his London centric acolytes :jester:  

• Like 3

Incidentally I've just had a rather worrying thought - if we were going to have an Up & Down Crossrail (Line) west of Subway Jcn for a mile or thereabouts what on earth are they going to be called now?  I bet that didn't occur to Boris or his London centric acolytes :jester:

It depends, if it is already written into the signalling data, they won't want to pay for it to be changed :P, but I think they'll remain as Up & Down Crossrail

This rebrand is actually just a public / operational rebrand, to us in the office (including the project team) it's still Crossrail.

Simon

• Like 1

Probably is - but what about bicycles (or will they also be banned?).  The argument doesn't really hold water as I think the basic problem is LUL/TfL confusing the difference between an inner-suburban and outer-suburban train let alone the fact that it will also be an interurban train - their rep at a local meeting seemed rather surprised when I mentioned the ATOC guidelines so that might be the case in the rest of the organisation.

no idea about bicycles but I don't think you can / are supposed to take them on the tube in the peak.

On planning, worth recollecting that the project was driven by TFL/DFT as the two "shareholders" in the early stages. As such, the thinking has potentially been driven by that mindset and not a national network one

On planning, worth recollecting that the project was driven by TFL/DFT as the two "shareholders" in the early stages.

Depends what you mean by early! This project had about 20 years under its belt before either of those organisations was invented.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

no idea about bicycles but I don't think you can / are supposed to take them on the tube in the peak.

On planning, worth recollecting that the project was driven by TFL/DFT as the two "shareholders" in the early stages. As such, the thinking has potentially been driven by that mindset and not a national network one

Please remember that if the DfT had got their way 6 years ago or so the whole project would have been put on hold. The only reason it survived is because TfL kept up the pressure - particularly be reminding the Treasury that they would face a big bill for compensation from all those business in the GLA area that had been forced to pay an extra Levy on their business rates to help fund the scheme.

By contrast the Thameslink scheme, being entirely DfT funded scheme has been through frequent 'pauses' due to problems with 'the nations finances' - the original name of Thameslink 2000 should show just how much it has been delayed by.

So in one sense, yes Crossrail is suffering from being a TfL project in that they are treating it very much as another 'tube line' (from the train interiors, extensive use of roundels rather than the NR symbol, giving the line a 'name' and so on). On the other hand it is arguable that without TfLs involvement there wouldn't be any line in the first place. As such, its worth putting up with TfLs nonsenses because regardless of what the line is called or whether the trains have loos, London needs the extra capacity Crossrail provides.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

Depends what you mean by early! This project had about 20 years under its belt before either of those organisations was invented.

Regards

The last time it was cancelled, back in 1994, the planning was very much a joint project with BR very firmly in control of the bits on its territory (I know because I was the TLF rep at the project development and planning meetings for the Western side of the tunnels) and in fact I very nearly finished up in a job there but the interviews (if there were actually any intended as I might have gone in without one ;) ) were stalled pending a decision on the future of the scheme and then scrubbed completely with the BR team being disbanded.

• Informative/Useful 1

Regards

Sorry, I meant in its current incarnation. Back in 2001, when the current version began, NR was just coming into existence as railtrack failed.

I agree with the point that TFL pushed it through. However, as a current regular passenger on the central line, I'd say that the new capacity is desperately needed and is several years overdue.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I meant in its current incarnation. Back in 2001, when the current version began, NR was just coming into existence as railtrack failed.

I agree with the point that TFL pushed it through. However, as a current regular passenger on the central line, I'd say that the new capacity is desperately needed and is several years overdue.

There is no doubt at all that extra capacity in the central area is long overdue and there is also a crying need for extra capacity eastwards from Slough on the GWML, basically between Slough and West Drayton (although longer trains would probably meet most of that need in the short to medium term).   The other thing it will undoubtedly do is greatly improve the frequency of services from the minor stations east of Southall and, presumably, between Slough and West Drayton.  However with the exception of Reading, Didcot, and Swindon there's seems to be little need west of Slough and certainly none that - with the exception of Reading - could not be met by longer trains in the peaks - a simple change from 3 coach formations to 5 or 6 cars would make all the difference but of course the fleet size is not there to enable that.  There are also peak period loading problems down the Thames Valley but again it will be readily solved by longer trains - which the emus will provide (one day).

The Reading peak loading problem will not be 'solved' by Crossrail - longer distance commuters want a fast journey time to Paddington, not repeated stops and doors opening at intermediate stations and that is one reason why the existing semi-fast services in the peak often leave crowds of people on the platforms at Reading waiting for a non-stop train a few minutes later.  The Reading peak problem would again best be solved by running longer trains with more passenger accommodation and that - if not much else - is what the the Class 80X trains ought to offer.

The distribution of commuters on arrival at Paddington is also relevant and while it might have changed since I was last commuting to London it is interesting to compare with what Crossrail is likely to offer - the main flows are to the Bakerloo Line and Circle/District Lines towards Kensington, the next highest is towards the H&C/Circle eastbound, with the smallest flow going to the Central Line (Lancaster Gate).  Crossrail will clearly offer an alternative to some of those and will thus potentially relieve the Central Line eastbound to small extent, have an impact on the Bakerloo Line and will definitely relieve the H&C/Circle eastbound.  However the effect on the Bakerloo and the H&C/Circle eastbound will depend I think on how far people are prepared to walk from a Crossrail station compared with an existing station on the Bakerloo/H&C/Circle - that will be the usual commuter trade-off of time and convenience.  Thus I suspect that it will do not much to relieve the Bakerloo for passengers travelling either to Baker Street or south of Oxford Circus but it will impact on the H&C and Circle east of Paddington.

It will obviously have a  relieving effect on tube lines within London,  particularly the Central Line, and it will equally create new travel opportunities for commuters - which are reputedly already influencing house prices west of London.

• 1 month later...

Please remember that if the DfT had got their way 6 years ago or so the whole project would have been put on hold. The only reason it survived is because TfL kept up the pressure - particularly be reminding the Treasury that they would face a big bill for compensation from all those business in the GLA area that had been forced to pay an extra Levy on their business rates to help fund the scheme.

The timescales were extended by a year or so in the 2010 spending review, and at the same time about a billion was taken off the cost.  Something to do with slowing the tunnelling down so one or more stations could be built before the TBM arrived, or possibly the other way round.  Or it could just have been releasing some contingency...

Edited by Edwin_m

• 2 weeks later...

That thing really is a monster. Is that the thingy (technical term) for lifting sleepers off wagons then placing the, down the tunnel?

Hi,

Yes, it's a multi-purpose gantry, specially built for Crossrail.

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I seem to have missed out on this thread so far. I hope readers won't mind me posting some links to my relevant Flickr albums. Some of them are all but closed to new additions, as viewpoints have been closed, or the visiblework completed.

To start with the currently active ones.

Works South of the river around Abbey wood and Plumstead

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157632675037925

Works along the North Woolwich line

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157628656429811

Thesealbu m are a bit more general, butincludes pictures of the Tunnel segment plant at Old Oak common, and the works on the new crossrail lones to the depot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157632340072352

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157649127792926

Ones I havent updated recently

Canary Wharf Station

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157652736290601

Pudding Mill lane site, including DLR station rebuilding

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157634126038538

Tottenham Court Rd when viewable

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157629172665293

I hope they are of interest

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I worked in London until retirement 12 years ago, TCR was certainly a nightmare when I was silly enough to alight there the other day. On reaching the surface I needed the sun to tell me which way I was facing! A bit more complex than the umbrella used by LT to make the new interchange at the other end of Oxford St in the '60s. 

Many thanks to "unravelled" (a.k.a. David Harvey) for the links to his photos.

I have seen much of his work on Flickr already and recommend anyone to go through the albums.

I personally think it's a superb record of events.

Cheers Dave.

Ron