15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Bitten by the Earlestown bug; LNWR wagons carried a pair of white "Egyptian" diamonds as identifying marks, as seen here.

Many thanks. :good:

I've obviously picked up too much American terminology, e.g. "bug" - either an insect, or a VW Beetle.

I couldn't see a car in the photo, so......  :rolleyes:  :fool:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It was the week before Christmas, so everyone’s dashing out with cards, chocolates and bottles. It would be nice to do this for all the folks who look in on this thread, but instead I just have to give you thanks for your interest, and wish you and your families a very Happy Christmas, and a good future in the New Year.

Just remember to try and keep fit.

76323540-7FE9-42CD-8373-36006375BD12.jpeg.4cfb1f279f41870d53c3dd5a86315648.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you in return for this and your other always interesting threads. I never know quite what the next post is about, which is refreshing :)

I hope you keep some chocolates and that bottle for yourself, well deserved I'm sure!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Regularity said:

But meteorologically speaking, slightly fewer than 10 weeks: 1st March is the first day of spring.

And it's now less than 6 months until the nights start drawing in again!   :(

Jim

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I've seen thread drift before, but this one's gone on an Acid trip....!!! :tease: :jester:

I thought seeing who could get the furthest thread drift before anyone noticed was all part of the game! :wacko:

Jim 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

After my fit of exuberance on Christmas morning, I really must try to convince everyone I’m here for the modelling, so here’s a job I’ve just wrapped up. It’s the Gladiator kit for a LNWR one plank open, and it’s my little bit of the Premier Line, for now.  I gather over 16,000 of these were built, not as many as a Certain Other Wagon, I’ll admit, but still a good chance of finding one on a pregroup layout.

There isn’t much to tell you about really, it went together quite well, and has had some paint and weathering. It’s relatively small, so I thought I’d bulk it up with a load, in this case some cast resin packing cases from Skytrex. They come in a pack of six, and I held one back (same reason as you only put odd number of flowers in a vase)

11692798-C00A-45F5-9A58-EF20FCFF9432.jpeg.34e9e2111ff7168d74e59728677512d7.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s the Gladiator kit for a LNWR one plank open, and it’s my little bit of the Premier Line, for now. 

Did you leave the brake off deliberately? Or is it hiding on the other side? The LNWR didn't really go in for expense but I'd have thought a lump of wood on a stick would have been just your thing?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s round the back, Stephen, go back a page and there’s a picture of it upside down under construction with the brake bits in sight. I decided the other side was “ best side” for a photo.

Ah yes, sorry. I had been distracted by all those pictures of young ladies. Everyone ends up having a best side.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, the package didn’t rattle when I received this morning off the Am-Ex guy, which is always a good sign, but in this case it was due to the packing experts at Howes of Oxford. Getting inside, yes, just like the pictures, I had been warned.. “loco for restoration”, they said, “non runner”, they put. Well, going back to Nov 2019, (page 44), it wasn’t such a basket case as the Buckjumper I got then off eBay, I’m pleased to say, Slaters wheels instead of cast iron mounted on crumbling insulation bushes; and a decent Mashima motor instead of a Pittman with cracked brush supports. A lead was flapping round, and two of the four Slaters plunger pickups were sticking, most likely the non runner bit. I haven’t tested that yet, but for once I’m fairly confident. So, here we are, a new inmate for the Lost Dogs Home.

0CECE663-1C72-4033-8E24-4BAD1FA9CBD5.jpeg.7782afbf576cd2d92631dc030b9fbb81.jpeg

The top is parted off the chassis, which is getting a doing over. It would appear to have had a direct hit dropping by the nose on to a stone floor, the smokebox has been removed to free the chassis screw, but it was quite loose. Bits here and there to do, and I’m no Vermeer, but I can give it a better paint job than it has currently.

I’m sure you’ll recognise it as a Crewe job, a 4’6” 2-4-2 tank in fact. This has presented me with a quandary, as these tanks were an enlargement of the “Chopper” 2-4-0, just a bigger back end and extra wheelset. I’ve always regarded the Chopper as the daintiest of LNWR locos, and I’ve been wondering wether to backdate this loco to one. Putting it among my 0-4-4 tanks I think it would be happier to stay as it is, and it would be more suitable for branch line operation around 1900, so sensible, practical decisions. Why did I get it? well, I was quietly doodling round the search on Boxing Day, and this popped up, and I liked the price, members of the jury.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A Mansion House Tank. Very nice; don't chop it!

image.png.9f442ec457c86f559dce34722eaa21e4.png

[Basilica Fields.]

I've spent some time before hitting "submit", in paroxysms of doubt as to whether that might actually be a 5'6" rather than a 4'6" Tank. Eventually I noticed the little chimney on the back of the bunker - the water tank vent that condensing engines had - no 5'6" Tanks were condensing, only the London area 4'6" Tanks.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think the choppers were all built with condenser pipes, but the 4’6” some did, some didn’t. This one’s intended to be a “country cousin”,(there’s no pipes on it, in any case) but that’s a nice picture you’ve found, Stephen.

edit: i see in the link you give the LNWR actually had some teak finish trains, who’d have thought?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I think the choppers were all built with condenser pipes, but the 4’6” some did, some didn’t. 

According to Ted Talbot (the hem of whose garment etc.) it was again only those Choppers built for the Mansion House services that were condensing. Those built for the Manchester and Birmingham areas were "normally aspirated" [E. Talbot, An Illustrated History of LNWR Engines (OPC, 1985)].

• Like 2