Oxford Rail - LNER Cattle Wagon

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

Nice reminder of an alternative use for Cattle Wagons; although this one isn't branded for 'Ale' traffic, other Cattle Wagons were.  It would be interesting to know the actual date (although if they don't know, I don't suppose we ever will) as it must have been quite a late survivor by that time.

• 1 month later...

Just got an email from Hattons stating these will be available from 1 July!

The Oxford Rail website hasn't been updated and still says, vaguely, 2016 ! ....... anyway, we should all be able to see Hatton's usual all-round photos soon and check whether errors have been corrected and - if not - whether they can be lived with or rectified to taste ! ............. 1st July is tomorrow - I wonder how available is 'available' ?

This is very exciting news to hear indeed. Following the disappointment today of learning that I'll have to wait til August for the Hornby LNER Q6, I can at least look forward to seeing the LNER Cattle wagon soon appearing on my layout instead. Now I've sold all my kit built LNER Cattle wagons bar one unfitted example at least one fitted example is needed...!!

Pictures here

https://railsofsheffield.com/oxford-rail-or76cat001-cattle-wagon-br-or76cat001-oxford-rail-JJJA30374.aspx

If that is the final version?, it is simply a disaster.

They have made the same layout on both sides of the wagon when they should be handed , just look at the partition position it should not be at the same end on each side, they have both sides with the partition on the left end, one should be on the right end, it is also missing the Vacumn Cylinder as well.

Edited by micklner

They have made the same layout on both sides of the wagon when they should be handed , just look at the partition position it should not be at the same end on each side, they have both sides with the partition on the left end, one should be on the right end, it is also missing the Vacumn Cylinder as well.

Cue Adrian Swain muttering "I told you so" on another discussion group (or two) !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Pictures here

https://railsofsheffield.com/oxford-rail-or76cat001-cattle-wagon-br-or76cat001-oxford-rail-JJJA30374.aspx

Nice to see RMWebbers keeping their sense of perspective. The sinking of the Titanic was a disaster. The San Francisco earthquake was a disaster. This is an apparently inaccurate model. Nobody has died as a result. So in the words of Michael Winner "Calm down dear"

• Like 2

Nice to see RMWebbers keeping their sense of perspective. The sinking of the Titanic was a disaster. The San Francisco earthquake was a disaster. This is an apparently inaccurate model. Nobody has died as a result. So in the words of Michael Winner "Calm down dear"

Ok major cock up  :jester:

Cue Adrian Swain muttering "I told you so" on another discussion group (or two) !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

He did highlight this fault many moons ago.

It is probably not too hard a job to file them off, I presume it would be better to get rid of all of them rather than just modify one side, and replace with home made items.

If the main dimensions are sound it is still a cheap and easy way of getting such a wagon.

Bernard

Pictures here

Well it looks like a LNER cattle wagon to me.

• RMweb Gold

He did highlight this fault many moons ago.

It is probably not too hard a job to file them off, I presume it would be better to get rid of all of them rather than just modify one side, and replace with home made items.

That's not the partition guides you're looking at (not sure what they are supposed to be actually! Capping strips?). There ought to be a plank with notches in sticking up above the top plank, matching the 3 notches in the bottom plank on the left of this model.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can see from the "Rails" pictures, it'd be a case of filling in, rather than taking off!

The lower end of the partition engages in the slot with notches, between the plank with the wagon number on it and the one below - the notches set the position for the partition to be in the small, medium or large position.  In reality this slot should be towards the left hand end of the wagon on one side, but towards the right hand end on the other side; however the model seems to have it to the left on both sides.

As 57xx says, there should also be a raised piece at the top of the side, with corresponding notches in it, to locate the top of the partition in place.  This seems to be absent on the model as far as I can see from the "Rails" pictures, but easy enough to add with some Plastikard.  I think on the real wagon, what appear as 'lumps' in the model pictures on top of the top rail are tethering rings for tying the livestock up.

I'm looking at the pictures in the original "LNER Wagons" book by Peter Tatlow, and on the 9ft wheelbase wagons shown, the partition was to the the left hand end when looking at the side with a brake cylinder, but on the 10ft wheelbase wagon shown it is to the right on this side.  But I don't know whether this was consistent - however the partition should be to either one end or the other!

• RMweb Gold

I think on the real wagon, what appear as 'lumps' in the model pictures on top of the top rail are tethering rings for tying the livestock up

I've just a quick look in my Tatlow book and came to the same conclusion.

I'm looking at the pictures in the original "LNER Wagons" book by Peter Tatlow, and on the 9ft wheelbase wagons shown, the partition was to the the left hand end when looking at the side with a brake cylinder, but on the 10ft wheelbase wagon shown it is to the right on this side. But I don't know whether this was consistent - however the partition should be to either one end or the other!

Hard to tell when there isn't even a vac cylinder on the Oxford version... The underframe looks very good bar that glaring omission.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just a quick look in my Tatlow book and came to the same conclusion.

Hard to tell when there isn't even a vac cylinder on the Oxford version... The underframe looks very good bar that glaring omission.

However you can tell where the brake cylinder should be, if it was there, as they have correctly modelled the brake gear arrangement with one 'V' hanger on the side where the brake cylinder should be, and two 'V' hangers on the other side.

• RMweb Gold

So apart from the missing brake cylinder it is actually an OK model?

Apart from the missing vac cylinder, the handed vac pipes not being handed on one end, the sides being identical to each other when they should be mirror images, the missing partition locators at the top, yeah, it's appears to capture the look OK. 

• Like 2

All people need to do it tip a tenner out of their pockets, take the model home, look at photos and alter the model to suit. How hard is that compared with the immensely difficult task many folk tell us they have of building anything.