Oxford Rail - LNER Cattle Wagon

Garethp8873

Great film, plus Ewan and Peggy!  Some wonderful shots. Wow.

Thanks for the link!

Amazing that in some instances the lyrics match the locations.

Highlights for me was seeing Railway Terrace at Willington with the gigantic Brancepeth pit heap in the background and the 101 on the ECML passing Mainsforth Colliery.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About the colour. I can't be sure, because I've weathered my first one, but I suspect they have painted both version with the same paint.

In this photo the new one is in the middle, my original modified one left and a Bachmann van right.

post-6821-0-04065200-1469275845_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the colour. Shouldn't they be a nice shade of deep grime above and bleached to high heavens below?

The LNER shades of bauxite varied from the different workshops and outside contractors, so anywhere between orange brown to dark bauxite should suit. A van rake just doesn't look authentic unless there are many different paint shades and grades of weathering IMO.

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

How nice to see some accurate RTR pre-war wagons on the market.  (Well, I'm assuming they're accurate - I'm no LNER expert!)

Start reading from page 1 of this thread and all will be revealed. ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

After a bit more modelling I now have two LNER cattle wagons, one 9ft wb and one 10ft wb, both vacuum braked.

post-6821-0-98717500-1469476921_thumb.jpg

The weathering has darkened the colour quite a lot.

• Like 10

After a bit more modelling I now have two LNER cattle wagons, one 9ft wb and one 10ft wb, both vacuum braked.

attachicon.gifO_C_8.JPG

The weathering has darkened the colour quite a lot.

Nice work and I hesitate to detract but a couple of points - which, of course, may or may not be relevant in your own particular ( almost ) parallel model railway universe - firstly, model manufacturers seem to like painting wheel tyres white but this was far from universal and would have been the first part of any real wagon to get obliterated by a layer of crud. Secondly - and probably pointed out somewhere above here ( But necessitating a lot more 'desecrating' of the factory finish ! ) - the 10' wagons wouldn't have carried large 'NE' insignia etc.as they were built / rebuilt too late !

Never mind the colour variation : in those days paint was hand mixed by the dustbin-load and would have changed from day to day - or even hour to hour as the ingredients settled if it wasn't stirred too frequently.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just got the BR 6 plank, it is obvious that the (slightly longer) cattle wagon shares many of its 9ft chassis parts.

....... wheelsets, buffer heads, coupling hooks, tensionlock thingies ................ if they'd designed them together a common 9' sub chassis could have been used for these two AND the R.C.H. mineral wagons  -  though it couldn't have been held in by the buffer tails in the longer wagons and the couplers would have needed mounting differently ........

( On the subject of wheels - have Oxford reinvented them ? - wheelsets on my opens seem to be on significantly longer axles than standard so replacements are extremely sloppy ! )

• RMweb Premium

So far Oxford have produced wheelsets with (at least) two different axle lengths, longer and shorter than the OO standard of 26mm. They may not have reinvented the wheel, but they seem to be trying to reinvent the axle.

Edited by Nile

Excellent review Jenny well balanced and very fair. It looks the 'business' from what I can see from your video think i will be buying a couple for my layout. Many thanks for your reviews have you ever thought of getting a job on one of the modelling mags. :drag:

So far Oxford have produced wheelsets with (at least) two different axle lengths, longer and shorter than the OO standard of 26mm. They may not have reinvented the wheel, but they seem to be trying to reinvent the axle.

Lima tried that - and look where it got them ! ..........

...... I was expecting dropping a set of EM gauge Gibsons in would be a doddle : correct but they almost dropped straight out again ! - simple enough to swap finer wheels onto the Oxford axles though .... but for my second wagon I had a rummage in the spares scrapyard and found a wobbly old set of - I think - Maygibs and swapped the tyres onto the Oxford centres : a tight fit but with persuasion from a vice worked OK !

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Livery question... would the 9ft LNER Cattle wagons ever appear in post-1936 livery? Only asking as I've only ever seen examples in pre-36 liveries...

Possibly not, or at least, not many.

The distortion a lot of them suffered probably meant they were destined for withdrawal or conversion to container flats as soon as 10' wheelbase replacements were built. But for the outbreak of WW2, I suspect they would have all disappeared more quickly than they did.

The good thing is that any that might have done are likely to have been straight ones so you won't need to work out how to recreate that hump-backed look!

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got one of the "BR" livery cattle wagons - the brakes are actually ON, ie in contact with the wheels and its conspicuously slow to move when on a gentle incline......

Mine came with a brake shoe loose in the box plus a piece of rodding that goes from brake on side of the wagon to the other (i;e there 4 traverse rods).

I don't remember seeing any other make doing this, which admittedly was a right pain to re-assemble in my case.

Oxfordrail can certainly add and fit lots of separately fine detail, the trouble is in this case, its the wrong detail. Mine is supposed to be a vacuum fitted brake for example, but while we have all this wonderful detail, there is no vacuum tank.

Oxfordrail clearly has fine talent to produce some very fine stuff but have to date fallen down on some silly obvious errors and omissions. They are young to the UK railway market, so there is hope yet and I do not remember any other established make starting off really smoothly either (the lining on Bachmann's first runs were awful, odd considering they came from the factory as Replica which had been very good).

So early days "a very good start but could do better". 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My first and for the foreseeable future, last Oxford Rail purchase.  I picked up the BR version to add to my forthcoming Hornby Southern Region versions when they arrived.  The latter look fantastic and makes the Oxford Rail one in comparison look quite frankly, rubbish.  It's going on Ebay in the morning.....

• Like 1

The good thing is that any that might have done are likely to have been straight ones so you won't need to work out how to recreate that hump-backed look!

There was an article on modelling these in Railway Modeller many years ago which included a very nice drawing and construction techniques for producing straight and distorted ones.

There was an article on modelling these in Railway Modeller many years ago which included a very nice drawing and construction techniques for producing straight and distorted ones.

I've mastered the technique.  By accident!    :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

post-508-0-07703600-1481387833.jpg

P