Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

Finding things in the oddest places.  Looking through my wife's latest Museum Collection "Sale Book" there is the 2409 in black, early emblem, for £79.99.  They claim that the original price was £160.00!  Anyway, if you want one for the the money go to museumcollection.co.uk, part # 22308.

Best regards

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

Finding things in the oddest places.  Looking through my wife's latest Museum Collection "Sale Book" there is the 2409 in black, early emblem, for £79.99.  They claim that the original price was £160.00!  Anyway, if you want one for the the money go to museumcollection.co.uk, part # 22308.

Best regards

Think u mean 'selection' guv :-

https://www.museumselection.co.uk/gifts-by-type/diecast-no2409-early-br-locomotive-model/

Thanks for the heads up

Edit: ooooh also found this :-

https://www.museumselection.co.uk/books/ladybird-facsimile-train-spotter-set/

Edit 2: ooooh not a super duper bargan but this 5 set of early British Railways vehicles appears to be cheaper than box shifters / eBay

https://www.museumselection.co.uk/gifts-by-type/5-british-rail-utility-vehicles-models/?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=retargetting

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

Finding things in the oddest places.  Looking through my wife's latest Museum Collection "Sale Book" there is the 2409 in black, early emblem, for £79.99.  They claim that the original price was £160.00! 

Well that's what they are selling the "Great Western" liveried version, so sort of a valid claim, if a tad  steep considering the RRP is only ~£120 and can still be had for half the price they are after.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2019 at 13:22, Harlequin said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have reverted to the first motor type and that that's what you'll get as a replacement. It certainly sounds like it from the technical description.

Please post a photo when you get it so we can compare with other motors fitted to this model.

271611669_oxfordmotor.jpg.85f722a3256921fc09deafd4f4c69d81.jpg

Old one at right, new one at left.

i would say they are identical, apart from the length of the foam sleeving.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2019 at 13:18, melmerby said:

Oxford have kindly agreed to send me a replacement motor.

Apparently the later one is more reliable than the earlier one, it is also not a coreless motor but a 5 pole, iron core, skew wound device.

I have now fitted the replacement motor and it is running fine again.

Having a non functioning motor in my hand and curious to find what was the fault, I dismembered the motor to find that it is indeed a 3 pole coreless motor!

• Informative/Useful 1

They recently sent me a replacement motor as well and it is identical to the one that was in it, the small single flywheel version shown on the left in the photo above. But here’s the catch, I pulled the socket with the capacitor on it and also installed a SoundTraxx UK steam decoder in place of the LokSound decoder. Now the loco runs very smooth and the buzzing noise in the motor has disappeared. I suspect that either the capacitor on the socket was interfering with the BEMF algorithm of the LokSound decoder or it just was not optimised for the 3 pole coreless motor. YouChoos previously reported having issues with their Zimo decoders in this loco which were resolved by removing the small capacitor on the socket. So I now have SoundTraxx UK steam decoders in all my GWR steam locos and they all run and sound great. I will reprogram the LokSound micro and use it in a diesel loco that I know has a 5 pole skewed motor.

Dr. Larry Puckett, PhD

Contributing Editor

DCC Corner columnist

Model Railroader magazine

www.dccguy.com

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Cofga said:

They recently sent me a replacement motor as well and it is identical to the one that was in it, the small single flywheel version shown on the left in the photo above. But here’s the catch, I pulled the socket with the capacitor on it and also installed a SoundTraxx UK steam decoder in place of the LokSound decoder. Now the loco runs very smooth and the buzzing noise in the motor has disappeared. I suspect that either the capacitor on the socket was interfering with the BEMF algorithm of the LokSound decoder or it just was not optimised for the 3 pole coreless motor. YouChoos previously reported having issues with their Zimo decoders in this loco which were resolved by removing the small capacitor on the socket. So I now have SoundTraxx UK steam decoders in all my GWR steam locos and they all run and sound great. I will reprogram the LokSound micro and use it in a diesel loco that I know has a 5 pole skewed motor.

Dr. Larry Puckett, PhD

Contributing Editor

DCC Corner columnist

Model Railroader magazine

www.dccguy.com

You can also do as I have done and put the redundant flywheel on the other end of the motor.

With a coreless motor having very little inertia due to the minimal mass of the rotor, it could be a useful addition.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/07/2019 at 19:26, MG 7305 said:

Best regards

Mentioned a while back - £160 was the price in the Museum Selection catalogue at Christmas, I think, and following Spamcan's link, still the online price. This was for the plain GW green and BR black versions. Evidently they've been rumbled! 

On 08/07/2019 at 11:47, melmerby said:

You can also do as I have done and put the redundant flywheel on the other end of the motor.

With a coreless motor having very little inertia due to the minimal mass of the rotor, it could be a useful addition.

Good idea, how much of a problem was it getting the flywheel off and installing  it on the other shaft? I have put flywheels on shafts in the past but have never tried removing one and reinstalling it.

Edited by Cofga

11 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

ROD Khaki version is now hitting the shelves. 

Is there any info that a sound fitted version will follow?

I bought one of the plain green ones with the sound installed and regretted it. I ended up taking the LokSound micro out and installing a SoundTraxx UK steam decoder and a TCS Keep Alive. I also pulled the factory installed socket with the included capacitor which I think was interfering with the BEMF making for a noisey motor and poor performance. I believe that the decoder programming had been developed with the original motor and was not properly optimized for this new motor. There are good instructions on the YouChoos website at this address (http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OO-OxfordDeanGoods) for istallong a decoder in the tender. They install a Zimo decoder for customers. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Cofga said:

Good idea, how much of a problem was it getting the flywheel off and installing  it on the other shaft? I have put flywheels on shafts in the past but have never tried removing one and reinstalling it.

Quite easy

I held the shaft with pliers and twisted the flywheel off with my fingers.

• RMweb Gold

A word of possible warning; the motor may not be designed to work with 2 flywheels, and I would recommend avoiding heavy handed driving.  I'd recommend avoiding this anyway because it's bad practice and unrealistic, but the extra load on starting the motor suddenly may lead to excess wear or overheating.

But in general I regard flywheels as A Good Thing, and hence 2 flywheels as A Better Thing...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

A word of possible warning; the motor may not be designed to work with 2 flywheels, ...

True.

If it goes again I won't bother Oxford, I will put in a Mashima 10XX, 5 pole, skew wound, designed for trains.*

*Or whatever is now usual since the demise of Mashima.

I think I’ll try adding some weight by installing some moldable lead putty in the boiler dome and any other depressions I can find. The combination of a relatively light engine and heavy tender limit the pulling power of this model. At least if this motor craps out I now have a backup and maybe they will offer the original 5 pole skew wound motor as a future replacement—planned obsolescence for sure! I like the model enough that I would buy another (without their sound install) if they would go back to the original motor. They certainly have taken a thrashing on this one.

• RMweb Premium

I have now had a chance to try the loco properly.

I am using DCC so I just set the CVs to what the previous loco was set to

This motor goes slightly faster than the previous one. With CV max set to 180 it went a scale 65mph, however although almost silent  up to 50 mph, it became very noisy above as if the whole ensemble was vibrating violently (the second flywheel?)

Anyway, I trimmed the max speed to about 50mph this was with a CV value of 138, which suggests the loco is much too highly geared.

Keeping to 50mph means it is a nice quiet loco with good slow running abilities.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2019 at 16:13, Cofga said:

I think I’ll try adding some weight by installing some moldable lead putty in the boiler dome and any other depressions I can find. The combination of a relatively light engine and heavy tender limit the pulling power of this model.

The limit on mine is the motor power not lack of weight, with a reasonable load it just slows down on a gradient but doesn't slip, (unlike a DCC Bachmann 2251)

A higher gear ratio and more motor power is needed.

BTW both of mine, from new, had all the tender pickups away from the wheels, as if Oxford realised the drag of the tender was affecting them.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

... max set to 180 it went a scale 65mph, however although almost silent  up to 50 mph, it became very noisy above as if the whole ensemble was vibrating violently ...

I wouldn't wish to be anywhere within earshot of a prototype Dean Goods doing 65 mph !!!

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I wouldn't wish to be anywhere within earshot of a prototype Dean Goods doing 65 mph !!!

Regards,

John isherwood.

Probably not too unusual on a passenger turn. After all the basic machinery on a 2251 is the same although modernised with a new boiler pressed to an extra 20psi. They would likely have exceeded 65mph.

Well, I was intent on an ROD Dean to accompany my ambulance Train City class but if Oxford do not know the type of motor fitted to the loco from the factory then I am keeping my wallet closed tight.  Coreless motors from personal hygiene appliances have no place in our models.  These cheap motors sell for pennies in China including free shipping.  Oxford state a five-pole skew wound fitted and yet dismantling the motor showed to be a coreless type.  The early release problems of the Dean goods worried me to the point that I stuck with my noisy Mainline model.  Now looks like an ROD model also will not be coming to me.

Enough problems were encountered with the first releases prompting one would think Oxford to get these later releases correct.  I will be curious as to peoples' experiences with the ROD and WD models.  If Hattons can get it right with their inhouse releases then surely Oxford, a company with its business experience in China,  should be able to sort out a decent drivetrain.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/07/2019 at 00:03, GWR-fan said:

Well, I was intent on an ROD Dean to accompany my ambulance Train City class but if Oxford do not know the type of motor fitted to the loco from the factory then I am keeping my wallet closed tight.  Coreless motors from personal hygiene appliances have no place in our models.  These cheap motors sell for pennies in China including free shipping.  Oxford state a five-pole skew wound fitted and yet dismantling the motor showed to be a coreless type.  The early release problems of the Dean goods worried me to the point that I stuck with my noisy Mainline model.  Now looks like an ROD model also will not be coming to me.

Enough problems were encountered with the first releases prompting one would think Oxford to get these later releases correct.  I will be curious as to peoples' experiences with the ROD and WD models.  If Hattons can get it right with their inhouse releases then surely Oxford, a company with its business experience in China,  should be able to sort out a decent drivetrain.  

They're more likely motors from computers, just like Mashima motors were originally used for. I've never seen any complaints about them.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet....

Jason

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They're more likely motors from computers, just like Mashima motors were originally used for. I've never seen any complaints about them.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet....

Jason

Where exactly would you see a motor in a computer?

This is what I reckon Oxford could be using:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10mm-6V-and-12V-double-shaft_60720061385.html

Check the uses

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Graham456 said:

Thanks for the link sounds interesting.....BUT not going to sign up to Alliebaba to find out 

any one please give us a clue ?

Clue to what?

The uses are listed on that link which is a normal web page, no signing up necessary.

• Agree 1

Melmerby

useing a I pad all I get is a get the sign up to Allibaba page not a normal web page I don't know why this is or what your useing but I can't go any further to get to your normal web page?

Still none the wiser what this refers to so my question still stands

Edited by Graham456