Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

...what you want also is joined up thinking about releasing matching sets ie; not just say first class of one livery and a buffet in another with a 3 year wait in between to buy others to make up a rake.

Oh yes. Traction and correct vehicles for a fixed formation set available as a complete set: possibly in two (or more) packs as many HO manufacturers do. So it might be traction plus three different vehicles as a short train option, with a 'remaining vehicles' pack of four, five, six, whatever, vehicles for the full formation. All carrying one livery produced in the same batch run so no mismatches, and simultaneously available.

Does anyone have a list of detailed differences between the regular Mk.3 stock and those modified by Chiltern? Maybe even images too (apart from the most obvious door mod).

Obviously that whole corner where the doors have been replaced are the major difference. Other than that though I can't see too many differences. The only cosmetic difference I can see is the buffet/business zone carriage which doesn't seem to look like other mk3 buffet carriages.

Standard Mk 3

post-22763-0-57150000-1453813337_thumb.jpg

Chiltern Mk 3

post-22763-0-98514800-1453813349.jpg

Chiltern Buffet Mk3

post-22763-0-06883600-1453813342_thumb.jpg

I really hope that Oxford Rail seize the opportunity in doing the Chiltern coaches, especially with the imminant arrival of the Chiltern Class 68 from Dapol

I'd just love a Chiltern train. I would, I would! However, co-ordinating 68s from Dapol, Mk. IIIs from Oxford Rail and DVTs from Hornby might very well end in lamentation. For what it's worth, I would like to see a Chiltern version of Hornby's excellent 67 and DVT. With Oxford Rail Mk. IIIs matched to them, it could be something rather special. Then the 68 could be substituted for the 67 to provide a change of motive power.

Didn't Oxford rail state their range would be joined up such as matching coaches with loco. Does this mean they are looking at a modern loco to match?

Didn't Oxford rail state their range would be joined up such as matching coaches with loco. Does this mean they are looking at a modern loco to match?

dunno.  did they say that?  no mention of it on the mk3 coach page just HST and LCHD versions.

In this day and age, colours can be computer matched, I believe the system uses 'RAL' prefixes.

There is another method, which we used to get the colours on our Dapol Scotrail Mark 3s in 'N' gauge - sight.

Languishing somewhere at Chirk is a Bachmann 'OO' ScotRail 47/7 which was used to match the colours for the 'N' gauge coaches. So that when both the Graham Farish 'N' gauge 47/7 and Dapol Mark 3s both appeared in the flesh, the colours matched.

I suspect the Dapol 'OO' Class 68 will be available well before the livery samples of the Mark 3s are produced.

• Like 1

dunno.  did they say that?  no mention of it on the mk3 coach page just HST and LCHD versions.

I thought they said it when they first announced the move into model railways that essentially it would be a range with joined up thinking so the rolling stock would match the loco's etc

How to I contact Oxford Rail? Can't find any email ID on they're website.

I just googled Oxford Rail and then used the 'contact us' form on the website. I had an email back the same evening.

If there are lots of people on here with specific wants I'd suggest getting in touch with them... hopefully if enough of us request things like the Royal coaches they'll consider the demand sufficient to launch in sooner rather than later!

I just googled Oxford Rail and then used the 'contact us' form on the website. I had an email back the same evening.

If there are lots of people on here with specific wants I'd suggest getting in touch with them... hopefully if enough of us request things like the Royal coaches they'll consider the demand sufficient to launch in sooner rather than later!

I found that...But everytime I click on the "Contact Us" tab the page simply reloads.

I could do with a some suitable WCML kitchen / Buffet cars plus a swallow HST set. The Hornby MK3 DVT is a good model but only suitable for post Virgin operations so an as built version would be a nice addition to match the coaches.

The amount of variation on Mk3s after 40-odd years of mods, upgrades and conversions is mind boggling - I'm not sure whether to suggest folk should temper their expectations as I doubt any manufacturer will manage the research for *completely* accurate models of current ones, or to hope that somebody does do it...

• Like 1

I would be interested in a Royal set but unless they are also the MK2s it isn't likely to happen. I think I will get some intercity one for a train hauled set but that is it. My HSTs have / in the process of being completed no need for  HST ones for me. 

Obviously that whole corner where the doors have been replaced are the major difference. Other than that though I can't see too many differences. The only cosmetic difference I can see is the buffet/business zone carriage which doesn't seem to look like other mk3 buffet carriages.

Chiltern Mk 3

attachicon.gifmk3chiltern.jpg

I really hope that Oxford Rail seize the opportunity in doing the Chiltern coaches, especially with the imminant arrival of the Chiltern Class 68 from Dapol

The second coach from the camera in the first Chiltern shot has a different window layout at the end nearest the camera.

Mike