PECO announces OHLE

MikeTrice

One thing to note with both peco and Dapol OHLE structures is neither have structure numbers. However I found someone who makes model railway signs they don't have a website but they can be found on Facebook search for eagle 1 model rail signs. They custom made structure numbers for me and they are very reasonably priced. I ordered them on Monday night and they arrived this morning Wednesday. Excellent service.

• Like 2

post-11593-0-59251200-1461803370.jpg                                                           post-11593-0-26296200-1461803399.jpg

Further to my comments 9, 61 & 66 in this forum, the catenary wires are upto 1000mm long and span upto four masts.  They are not tensioned but the tension & strength in the wires is by virtue of the wire material being 0.5mm high tensile steel, the permanent 'kink' put into the wires at each mast to supply the stagger on straight track (in addition to 'pull off' & 'push off' masts) & between masts on curved track after making the wires up flat. Also it allows the accurate positioning of masts on curves with straight catenary wire between masts & not having to probably compromise because the manufacturer did not make the correct length wires.  Remember, the length of catenary between masts is unique for each layout as it depends on the position of point work & radius of the curved track.  On the visible section of my layout with catenary the track radius varies from 500mm upto 2000mm through the station with eight points, two tunnels each approximately 600mm long & crosses two baseboard joints.

I am currently writing an article which covers the positioning of masts, manufacture of catenary wires, catenary in tunnels & catenary across baseboard joints inside tunnels.

Edited by Crewlisle
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

With this Peco development hopefully this will encourage some manufacturer to produce a rtr class 303 Glasgow Blue emu and other earlier emus.

Yes please I will buy at least one of each livery if someone wants to bring out a Class 303

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

shocking they couldn't bother to model the wires after getting the rest so realistic . .

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Backdrop looks excellent, the clouds look almost real

The people in the station all seam to be in natural poses

The skin tones are spot on.

The track looks like Kato that has the ballast touched up with a brown wash so that it doesn’t look so grey

The HST looks too clean and the paint is too glossy, is it the new one from Hornby?

The trees are a bit ordinary. They look like straight out of the box Heki

Overall the modeller has done a creditable job

John

• Funny 2

You forgot to mention the light and shadow effects there John. IMO they've over-done it, too bright and sunny: this can't represent that grey and rainy Britain we all know so well, right? :nono:

Sorry I missed that, I wasn't thinking, where I come from that looked normal

Just like any other bright and sunny day here in Queensland 

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Backdrop looks excellent, the clouds look almost real

The people in the station all seam to be in natural poses

The skin tones are spot on.

The track looks like Kato that has the ballast touched up with a brown wash so that it doesn’t look so grey

The HST looks too clean and the paint is too glossy, is it the new one from Hornby?

The trees are a bit ordinary. They look like straight out of the box Heki

Overall the modeller has done a creditable job

John

The modeller had problems, getting a nice consistent surface on the platform though. Didn't have enough yellow paint & didn't stir the tin enough for the 2nd go!

• 4 years later...

The date is 10th October and nearly somd four years on from the last post on this subject, all seems a bit strange that there have been no further updates on the thread, the PECO and Dapol OHLE ranges havent really expanded beyond single masts and wires.  PECO were understood to be working on a multi-track gantry, something which anyone modelling OHLE would certainly be wanting, whether for two, three or four track areas. I met the PECO rep at my local model shop but it was there where some peculiar observations were put to them, for example, the then example class 86 sat just under the registration arms of the gantry with its pantograph down, surely PECO would have checked this before going to the bother of making a demonstration piece, even if it is a demo piece, surely modellers and model shops across the country were going to see this.

It is an important accessory must-have for anyone modelling 25kv and it's great to see not just the advancement of manufacturers offerings but all at a time when the number of electric models is growing rapidly, with the Bachmann classes 85, 90 and 350 Desiro, Hornby's new tooling Class 87 as well as future offerings from Heljan (86) and Accurascales (92).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

This seems like a normal rate of progress for Peco. 

They don't seem to be under the same pressure to deliver as more recent entrants to model manufacturing.  ;)

Yes of course, having got back into this hobby about three or four years ago, this appears to be the case but with an active following, threads like this for modellers who own any of the following, one would have thought this particular thread would have seen more activity than nothing for four years:

Bachmann Class 85

Bachmann Class 90

Bachmann Class 350 Desiro

Heljan Class 86

Hornby/Lima Class 86

Hornby/Lima Class 87 (current or new tooling)

Hornby Class 90

Hornby Class 91

Hornby/Lima Class 92

Hornby APT

Hornby Pendelino

Hornby Javelin

Hornby Azuma

Forthcoming

Accurascales Class 92

Heljan Class 86

Back in March of last year, the PECO rep visited our local model shop and I got the chance to see the latest  mockups of  their planned multi-track catenary, as pictured below.

march19 - peco sample 1.jpg

march19 - peco sample 2.jpg

march19 - peco sample 3.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's nice but, as with their single mast, the insulators are too small and of the wrong kind of shape.  Also the upper support arms could do with some little pulley wheels for the catenary wire. The little square things to threat the wire through spoil it a bit. But the overall shape of the portal looks fairly good.    Legs a little on the thin side perhaps? 

Did they give a suggested retail price?  Surely etched brass will push up the RRP compared to injection molded plastic stuff?  Seems an odd choice if they want it to be mainstream successful - It will need to be sensibly priced.

Look at the insulators - although in various different shapes and sizes, they all have 8 sheds compared to the Peco 4 shed's which are clearly too small.

Colin Craig offers some excellent cast metal ones in the most common shapes, and I have 3d files to print the portal design in the second pic. 

Though as many people have said before, the problem with modelling OLE on the WCML is choosing exactly which structures to replicate, because there are at least a dozen different types of portal and the layout of the registration fittings also varies widely!

DSCF5618.JPG

DSCF5614.JPG

DSCF5743.JPG

Edited by NorthenElectric91
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@NorthenElectric91  As I understood from having spoken to the PECO representative, this was a proposed structure and very much a draft, no way, could this be the finished one, for starters, it was too low, with a ballasted and mounted track base, the cantilevers sit at virtually the height of the 86 pantograph in the down position and thats before one gets on to the more intricate cantilever designs and the components that make these up.

As for the price, i dont recall this being something we discussed, this was just one thing he was there for, and I got the impression that he didnt know much about OLE, this was back in March of last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to use slightly less than accurate but cheap and available Hobbex OLE rather than wait for someone to introduce something for the UK market.  Think I must be approaching the tenth anniversary of my first loco drawing power from the OLE...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Email sent to PECO from their online form on their website

Hi PECO,
I am trying to find out what is happening in relation to the lovely PECO multi-track Catenary masts you were making sometime ago, but nothing seems to have been updated as far as I am aware since the midlands representative brought a mockup of this into the store mid 2019. Hopefully he was able to relay my concerns that actually the mast was too low in height. With the apparent lack of progress or communication regarding this item, I have since opted for nBrass's brass masts, but i am still interested in the ''proposed PECO offering - it goes without saying that this is a golden opportunity for someone to make a ready to use product for a market place swelled, not only Bachmann's Class 90, but the new Heljan Class 86, Accurascales forthcoming Class 92 as well as the newly tooled Hornby Class 87 as well as all the other EMUs and other previous electric models.

Please can you advise

Kind Regards
Kat

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...