PECO announces OHLE

MikeTrice

• RMweb Premium

If you’re modelling the areas with the style of OHLE they’re doing. It varies hugely even within small sections of the WCML. It’s not where I’d put effort if I was a manufacturer. 

• Round of applause 1

When I was in charge of the MRC's New Annington layout in the 1980s we hand-built most of the OHLE using Sommerfeldt wires and insulators, the SNCF design single masts and scratch built spans. It looked good and worked mechanically if not electrically. We had very few de-wirements. Get building chaps. It IS possible as New Annington was an exhibition layout and very portable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

This ISNT really about scratch building, yes, there are folks going out and scratch building this and that ... good for them, this is about a fairly standard Multi-track gantry which is common place on the WCML, which folk can simply apply to their layouts at a time when the following locos have flooded the market, Bachmann's 90, Heljan's 86, Accurascales' 92 and Hornby's 87. We can manage to have these new cutting edge locos and hopefully some bold manufacturer will deliver this structure as per what PECO have proposed so far

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2022 at 10:59, StuTheUseless said:

Sorry if bumping this made anyone think there was some news!

Did anyone notice if the Peco stand at the Glasgow exhibition had the gantry on display?

I didn’t get a close up look, wrong scale for me, but the gantry was present in the display at MRS. It appeared to be the same prototype seen previously. 

Tom. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lyneux said:

I got a couple of snaps at Glasgow:

96F5FB60-10CF-4C3A-BE05-68666AF02951.jpeg.0bd9d3914f698575b42b166daa88fbe8.jpeg

35BF3AD0-69D7-4A5D-99DE-7D897ABD0A81.jpeg.6e84fafdb07c2b799db58cbb67e88304.jpeg

I missed it at Glasgow, unlike Guy I didn't have enough time to network.

Sadly Mk1 portal to go with their Mk3 cantilever mast. Visually as daft as a train with HST power cars and Mk1 coaches.

I am also at a loss to what those nipple like features are, Mk1 Portals are welded so they cannot be rivets or bolt heads.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am also at a loss to what those nipple like features are, Mk1 Portals are welded so they cannot be rivets or bolt heads.

They look like the assembly tabs for the etching.

59 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sadly Mk1 portal to go with their Mk3 cantilever mast. Visually as daft as a train with HST power cars and Mk1 coaches.

Well there you go Clive !!!! an opening in the market ?

Crack on 

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well, it hasnt advanced much in three years ... i just hope the vertical stanchions are a bit taller ... a Hornby 86 with its panto down on a piece of unmounted track was virtually touching the cantilever holding the contact wire when i saw it ..

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well I’m honoured that all your networking time was well spent visiting Oldshaw instead!

See you tomorrow Clive…

Guy

• Funny 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, thohurst said:

Hoping Peco are still invested in bringing these to market.

Especially given that a number of more recent model announcements are of electric locomotives which run off overhead wires! I'd love to see a good selection of overhead line equipment from Peco as the initial items are very nice indeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 03/03/2022 at 18:30, Johnson Street IEMD said:

................. i just hope the vertical stanchions are a bit taller ... a Hornby 86 with its panto down on a piece of unmounted track was virtually touching the cantilever holding the contact wire when i saw it ..

Have seen that in real life when the North London No1 lines were electrified a short length of track under a low bridge was lowered to give the minimum allowed electrical clearances. Soon after that section of line was transferred from us to I think the Eastern Region. Their supervisor took one look at this horrible little dip in the track and lifted it out again.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thing is i guess is that lattice type cant be easy to manufacture they are complex 3d items so i can its hard to pull out of an injection mould....still i would love to see a full host of ohle types inckuding masts with weights, termination gantries of 3 and 4 track spans twin arm masts double track lattices etc.  Its all very slow to come to market. Dapol talked a good game of adding to their mk3 style masts but weve had zippo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2022 at 14:07, ThaneofFife said:

Thing is i guess is that lattice type cant be easy to manufacture they are complex 3d items so i can its hard to pull out of an injection mould.....

Sommerfeldt have a form of lattice post based on German Prototype - so it can be done:

https://www.sommerfeldt.de/de/Abspannmast-105-mm-hoch--lackiert.html

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Agree 1

On 07/08/2022 at 08:38, rhnrhn said:

Sommerfeldt have a form of lattice post based on German Prototype - so it can be done:

https://www.sommerfeldt.de/de/Abspannmast-105-mm-hoch--lackiert.html

Thing is pet ... that doesnt look anything like any UK mast ... and when trying to replicate the actual thing, the devil is in the detail.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Thing is pet ... that doesnt look anything like any UK mast ... and when trying to replicate the actual thing, the devil is in the detail.

He didn't say it did.  He used it as an example to show "it can be done", to which I would add Kato produce them in tiny N Gauge.  They don't look like UK ones, either, but they show "it can be done" when a manufacturer is sufficiently interested 😎

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

I have not heard anything yet but I am trying some more of ebayer blueflash90s OLE instead .. 

20221123_221851.jpg

I'll be interested in hearing your experiences, I've saved the guy on my Tatbay sellers list as I might be having to rebuild Wednesford for the seventh time and these really do look the business.