11 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Oh thank God, you guys have finally stopped the constant stream of political talk. 

I have found over the years that there is nothing wrong with political discussion,  but it is the political opinions of some that really bother me ......... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I have found over the years that there is nothing wrong with political discussion,  but it is the political opinions of some that really bother me ......... 

What bothers me is the presumption that everyone shares or should share the same opinion. That presumption has become disappointingly marked in this topic too over the last few pages.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The OP, as a professional lawyer, might reasonably be expected to be dismayed by those in governments around the world who display contempt for the due process of law; in fact one would be concerned if he did not, though it might qualify him for the post of Attorney General. 

Time to pour oil on troubled water:

384625350_GERT192-4-0No.760Petrolea.jpg.3537487cdb9d390215632f86bba4f379.jpg

The GER got rather further along the T-sequence of orders than did the LSWR.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The OP, as a professional lawyer, might reasonably be expected to be dismayed by those in governments around the world who display contempt for the due process of law; in fact one would be concerned if he did not, though it might qualify him for the post of Attorney General. 

"If you haven't got the rule of law, what have you got?" as Gaius Caesar Germanicus aka Caligula never once said.

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Time to pour oil on troubled water:

384625350_GERT192-4-0No.760Petrolea.jpg.3537487cdb9d390215632f86bba4f379.jpg

The GER got rather further along the T-sequence of orders than did the LSWR.

While Little Sharpies and Intermediates and a 134 can pooter about on local services and a Blue Goods can handle WNR stock, certainly a T19 would be most suitable motive power for a GER express through from London to Birchoverham-next-the-Sea.

By 1905, T19s were no longer "royal" as that duty had passed to the Clauds, but that's fine, because it's an excuse for a Royal Claud as well. 

Had I but world enough and time! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I have found over the years that there is nothing wrong with political discussion,  but it is the political opinions of some that really bother me ...

Don't worry, like I said I come on here to avoid that jazz. And I'm a Green supporter so nobody would listen to me anyway.

21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Not to say horsing around 

I say neigh to that joke!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Don't worry, like I said I come on here to avoid that jazz. And I'm a Green supporter so nobody would listen to me anyway.

I say neigh to that joke!

Jazz!, initiate a discussion about jazz, and the polarisation of views will make any political argument seem like a walk in the black forest.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

59 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

....... I'm a Green supporter so nobody would listen to me..... 

Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere, you'll learn in the long run :jester:
Green as in New, not valid views.

• Funny 2

11 minutes ago, rocor said:

Jazz!, initiate a discussion about jazz, and the polarisation of views will make any political argument seem like a walk in the black forest.

And that's just within Jazz circles, let alone all the other basic forms of music :jester:

For those who do have an ear for jazz? I would recommend TSF Jazz on the internet.

It's a French radio station with an eclectic mix of related music https://www.radio.net/s/tsfjazz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What bothers me is the presumption that everyone shares or should share the same opinion. That presumption has become disappointingly marked in this topic too over the last few pages.

So challenge it.

But there are some things that are simply commonly accepted, such as the payment of debts and rule of law, on which the whole of western society is built.

Or maybe we simply agree on a lot of issues?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

There was a very interesting programme on the history of black classical composers on BBC4 the other day - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000n18w - featuring Joplin's opera Treemonisha , which never got a proper airing in his lifetime though it laid the foundations for Gershwin's hugely successful exercise in cultural appropriation, Porgy and Bess.

I only caught the programme half way through so I don't know if this was mentioned but as would-be woke person, Beethoven's Violin Sonata No. 9, Op. 47, is the Bridgetower Sonata as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

With regard to all this music, people often think of the Edwardians as a kind of additional Victorians, but in all senses they were in fact the beginning of the modern 20th Century

Cusp is the dreadful word we're looking for here.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, webbcompound said:

With regard to all this music, people often think of the Edwardians as a kind of additional Victorians, but in all senses they were in fact the beginning of the modern 20th Century

Yes, that will do. Warfare with high-velocity rifles. 'Concentrating' civilian populations in war-zones. Mass-targeting of political opinions by the owners of the popular press. Large scale industrial unrest. Colonial oppression (although I do like Tsing-Tao beer.) No wonder the works of the not-quite-recently-deceased Mr Marx became so popular.

For reference (although I may have referred to this somewhere above) see 'The Dark Continent - Europe's Twentieth Century' by Mark Mazower.

I'm quite happy to select the bits of history I like, and make interesting models of for my railway. Whether I would actually have liked working on the NER (or anywhere else in the North East of England) is another matter. Anyway, I (or half of me anyway) come from Essex/Suffolk farm labouring stock; that was for the men, and the women would have gone into service until they got married.

Let us be nostalgic by all means, but keeping a firm sense of what changes needed to be made, and what changes were made, by our forebears. 

After all, 100 years on it may well be that the early 21st century until February 2020, will be seen as a high-point of comfortable living.

(For some of the world's population anyway.)

I am looking forward to writing a history of these days in about 30 years time, by which time I will be 98.

This is a good way of keeping detached and not screaming at the radio/television/computer etc etc

• Like 9

19 hours ago, brianusa said:

Sorry Annie, you're fighting a lost cause! :(  For too long now, it has been the subject of protest  along with other words that try the patience of traditionalists, yet it appears more often these days. Even the Beeb has encompassed it!

Brian

Rather embarrassingly the NSW government transport information website has a section labelled "Find a train station" so it appears to be official government policy here.

Not sure how long this has been so, so I've been reading up on the 'Battle Of Central Station" to see what it was called back in 1916.

This was an incident when troops training for WW1 in Liverpool got annoyed at being told that an exercise would stretch beyond knock-off time so downed tools and went to the pub. 15,000 of them then caught a train into Sydney where there was a battle with the police like most Friday nights. It ended up with some of the soldiers not being allowed to be in the army any more so weren't allowed to go over to the western front and live in the mud and rats and stuff.

Heres a contemporary photo that I drew that clearly shows it marked Sydney train station, so I guess we've had that term for a while.

PXL_20201011_185343481.jpg.eb18327179e49fd2e2ff1a0d9fb6056d.jpg

To make amends, here's a picture of an Australian choo choo  train, taken on Interesting Hat Day, 1908.

791249770_Locomotive_of_Melbourne_and_Hobsons_Bay_Railway_Company_1854.jpg.eecc42aca1fd78cc124c9224b2b57ed8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rocor said:

There are three kind of jazz.  Hot, cool, and "when does the music start"

Adrian

• Funny 1