Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Am I alone in liking the T19r, with leading bogie (not radial wheels!) taken from the trailing bogie of an E10 0-4-4T...?

spacer.png

No, you are not, at least, so goes my understanding, parts thereof 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Except that Bissel* Truck, which was a pony truck and a Bissel Bogie, which was a bogie.

*An American

The CR had some 6-wheel swivel* (bolster) wagons with Bissel trucks.

*They called all their 4 and 6-wheel bolster wagons 'swivel wagons' because the bolster was on a pivot at its centre.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 3

42 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

one fears that Mr Mayor has taken a lesson from he who shall not be named in bluster,  side stepping and evasion of the question  :jester:

Nick B

Yes, I bought some 009 fishplates. No idea where I put them. 

Standby.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, webbcompound said:

I fear you are sadly mistaken. the sainted Webb did produce an Atlantic, prosaicly known by the LNWR as the "Improved 6'0" eight wheeled compound engine" (because ten wheels was an improvement on eight), but known more usually as the "Empress of India Class" Technically, with its radial bogie and compound drivers it was a 2-2-2-2, but to all intents and purposes it was an Atlantic,

Apart from the 1907 drawing, is there any other record of it being built/converted to this 10 wheeled version.
I'm surprised Ted Talbot hasn't mentioned it in one of his books, unless I've missed it.
But basically it's not an Atlantic, because the two drivers are not directly coupled, in my opinion.
However I leave it to wiser heads than mine to sort that one out  :rolleyes:

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

it might be piffle or as I well know I put them somewhere safe ...............:angry:

I've searching this evening for a bottle of glue which I had very recently and then put 'somewhere safe'.  If anyone can tell us where that 'somewhere' is I for one would be much obliged.  :dontknow:

Jim

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, brianusa said:

It is fashionable to have a group that matters these days. 

You mean like the Procrastination Society, which I never seem to get round to joining!:rolleyes:

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Penlan said:

Apart from the 1907 drawing, is there any other record of it being built/converted to this 10 wheeled version.
I'm surprised Ted Talbot hasn't mentioned it in one of his books, unless I've missed it.

After the succesfull exhibition of the Queen Empress at the Chicago World Exposition in 1893 the Empress of India was also sent to America where it was believed to have influenced the Baldwin Company who were designing an new loco for the Atlantic City Line. The loco was aboard the SS Hanoverian, an Allen Line ship which set off from Baltimore for Liverpool in the summer of 1885. Unfortunately the ship went down and the locomotive was lost.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In Small Talk at Wreyland, Cecil Torr recounts an incident at an hotel in Penzance. On finding the breakfast room crowded: "Waiter, can you find me a place?" "I'm sorry sir, only sole and whiting this morning."

Pollacks!

13 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

To get back on topic (well nearly), in that case you'll need a bigger fishplate!:D

BTW it's haddock every time for me, though I can't see the point in mushy peas.  Oh! and if you're in that city in the East which we from the West hesitate to name, they'll ask if you want salt and sauce rather than salt and vinegar.  Funny folk in E..... Oops, nearly did it then!:scared:

Jim

My memory of Scotland (East and West) is that you can order fish or special fish. If you want chips with it then order a fish supper.

• Agree 1

On 12/10/2020 at 18:42, RedGemAlchemist said:

Is it cod? Because I ordered plaice. 

A clergyman of my acquaintance once ate a fish fillet of such magnificence that he pronounced it "the piece of cod that passeth all understanding".

I thank you.

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, brianusa said:

It is fashionable to have a group that matters these days.  I haven't yet come across one for the great ape or apeism, I defer to Mr drmditch.

Brian.

Sir,

I fear that you may be succumbing to another form of '......ism' !

Caroline

('drmditch')

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Re: LNWR 'Queen Empress' class.

Was not one of the then Crewe apprentices, one H N Gresley, very impressed by these locomotives?

For all his foibles, Mr Webb seems to been responsible for training a number of very well thought of engineers.

Which one of the above class was painted ivory white?

Shame that never caught on.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1