2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

That's rather brilliant.

I was going to give a "Thanks" Emoji, but realised that all I had done was reference something I had seen.

Talking of what I may have seen, there is a layout which uses lots of Cassettes and has a siding dedicated to placing / removing Cassette loads.  The siding was of a length to offload a train and space in the scenery for the Cassette frame beyond that - flat fields and a tunnel entrance {if I remember it correctly - not entirely sure}  The Buffers at the end of the siding, were removable and the Cassette placed on the last few inches, thus removing the need for laying longer rail lengths.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Going back to a question I asked James the other day, I've come to realise that a major advantage of having the baseboards higher above floor level is an increase in storage space.

The CA boards are ply framed.  They are open save where there is track, where they have ply tops. This baseboard top is currently, IIRC, 43" off the ground, as that is the height when the legs are inserted.

The ply frames are about 4" deep at the front and higher at the back because forced perspective means the boards rise toward the vanishing point.  This also means that I can drop the level at the front because I have 4" to play with.

This was designed with storage in mind, allowing the Really Useful Box Co 64L crates to be stacked several high underneath on a pallet (which was necessary in the old digs 'cos of damp).

Mine do not contain files ...

image.png.823e62c120e9af15a416d7e413ea24df.png

The depths of the boards allowed them to be set end on and with a row in front.  The layout legs were spaced to facilitate the use of these boxes.

If I change the baseboard height, it will be to increase it slightly.  Visually a bit higher is better, but I have to be able to lean over. 

In any case, CA offers excellent storage capacity, as would the other two stations in the plan.

I really need the storage space.

Thus, among the other considerations concerning hidden loops and sub-baseboard lines is the fact that I would lose considerable storage space.  I did not mention this before now, because I did not want the consideration to influence or constrain the planning; if the optimum layout plan had involved loss of under-baseboard storage, I would have re-thought storage.

As it is, the process we have gone through over the last few pages looking at Schooner's designs has satisfied me that we have the optimal plan for what I wanted to achieve, so now I can mention the considerable advantage of the shed in providing a second function as a long-term storage facility. Marching under the CA boards will be the Imperial Guard in 1/72nd, sundry WW2 tanks and aircraft and even 28mm knights and orcs as well as lots of empty stock boxes, scenic materials and my childhood railway stock.  Mainly, however, the storage will be for the empty crates I used to transport my books (65 in the end, most of which are or will be empty).

If I don't need all the space for storage, I'm minded to mount Richmond at a lower level at one end in due course. My thought is to develop Richmond in an exhibition format because, to be frank, erecting it temporarily either in the house or at an exhibition is likely to prove the best chance to operate it. If there is anyone in the Darlington or Richmond area who would be up for forming a Richmond layout team in due course, it could eventually go places. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I see that, recently, Peco have something similar, but in the form of cassettes which could be joined together, for longer lengths.  I haven't looked, in sufficient detail to see what joined up length limits for the joined-up segments may apply.

I have a couple of these, to help with crane-shunting locos in the off-stage areas. According to Peco, the limit is four modules end-to-end but note that they are intended to sit on top of the track rather than form self-contained cassettes. I expect they could be adapted though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/05/2022 at 22:58, Edwardian said:

This was designed with storage in mind, allowing the Really Useful Box Co 64L crates to be stacked several high underneath on a pallet (which was necessary in the old digs 'cos of damp).

Mine do not contain files ...

Neither do mine!

Not that I use them for model railways, a large proportion of my LP collection resides in Really Useful boxes, specifically marketed for the purpose, that are deeper in the body and the lid.  All my late 70s "indy" singles have a similar RU box of appropriate dimensions.

My current planning for the garage layout has under space for storage containers as part of my design brief.  I have poly storage boxes already, though not nearly enough and thinking about it, I could do with something a little tougher with a firmly sealing lid.  Thanks for reminding me that RU boxes can store things other than records!!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Neither do mine!

Not that I use them for model railways, a large proportion of my LP collection resides in Really Useful boxes, specifically marketed for the purpose, that are deeper in the body and the lid.  All my late 70s "indy" singles have a similar RU box of appropriate dimensions.

My current planning for the garage layout has under space for storage containers as part of my design brief.  I have poly storage boxes already, though not nearly enough and thinking about it, I could do with something a little tougher with a firmly sealing lid.  Thanks for reminding me that RU boxes can store things other than records!!!

I swear by them.  They have protected my belongings through several moves and prolonged storage in hostile conditions both Northern winters and tropical summers.  They have proved proof against damp and against moths or other intrusions. Some of mine, I realised during this last move, are some 20 years old and still going strong!

Really, I should have bought shares ....

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2022 at 18:20, Annie said:

Should keep me out of trouble for a day or two.

Any news @Annie? Just wondering how you're finding the station layouts in practice?

109346257_985853526_BlankPage001-Copy.jp

Unsolicited thoughts on AM to suit my biases and Peco's geometry after a bit of a play this evening. YMMWillV:

AM.thumb.jpg.687fbfae55e07221f00c58fd6d29f419.jpg

• Kickback from station dock removed - too tedious to shunt, not very pretty to look at.
  • Headshunt (/refuge siding) added - helps keep the flow of trackwork smooth when shunting the yard; handy place to leave a train if not in the mood for shunting in the first place.
  • Cattle Dock siding added (see Frome) tosupport cattle traffic to BM. Also acts as gas works headshunt* and handy place for spotting wagons. Makes for some interesting view across the yard too :)
  • Stub to goods shed (also seen at BM) queried.  I like it, it's useful but unusual and I'm not sure if I'm missing something...?

*Having to empty the Maltings siding to access the gas works got old pretty fast**

**Looking at the space available for AM in this plan, I went a step further and made the gasworks an older facility on the edge of town to which a spur was run when the railway arrived...

389388478_Gasworksspur.jpg.bb6edcc990aecaffa70d3bef557b7524.jpg

...but only because I could. For context, that's 2nd radius on the gas works curve.

As ever, just thinking aloud for my own amusement rather than developing @Edwardian's layout with intent. Still, put out here for interest and all feedback welcome :)

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Annie said:

Not really doing anything much as the moment Schooner.  I did some work on a couple of my older Trainz Model Railway layouts to get my hand back in with layout building and before I could get on with having a go at Edwardian's project I ended up getting a horrible infection in two of my remaining ruinous old teeth.  I'm on some fairly serious antibiotics at the moment and spending a lot of time asleep and having spaced out dreams.  Once the infection is cleaned up I'll be able to get the horrible old teeth extracted which I'm not exactly looking forward to.

Annie, how wretched for you.

I can only sympathise having once had months of illness ultimately traced to a dental abscess.  And those spaced out sickness dreams on top of narcolepsy sound like a bad combination. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and give you some relief.

In my thoughts as ever.

6 hours ago, Schooner said:

Any news @Annie? Just wondering how you're finding the station layouts in practice?

109346257_985853526_BlankPage001-Copy.jp

Unsolicited thoughts on AM to suit my biases and Peco's geometry after a bit of a play this evening. YMMWillV:

AM.thumb.jpg.687fbfae55e07221f00c58fd6d29f419.jpg

• Kickback from station dock removed - too tedious to shunt, not very pretty to look at.
  • Headshunt (/refuge siding) added - helps keep the flow of trackwork smooth when shunting the yard; handy place to leave a train if not in the mood for shunting in the first place.
  • Cattle Dock siding added (see Frome) tosupport cattle traffic to BM. Also acts as gas works headshunt* and handy place for spotting wagons. Makes for some interesting view across the yard too :)
  • Stub to goods shed (also seen at BM) queried.  I like it, it's useful but unusual and I'm not sure if I'm missing something...?

*Having to empty the Maltings siding to access the gas works got old pretty fast**

**Looking at the space available for AM in this plan, I went a step further and made the gasworks an older facility on the edge of town to which a spur was run when the railway arrived...

389388478_Gasworksspur.jpg.bb6edcc990aecaffa70d3bef557b7524.jpg

...but only because I could. For context, that's 2nd radius on the gas works curve.

As ever, just thinking aloud for my own amusement rather than developing @Edwardian's layout with intent. Still, put out here for interest and all feedback welcome :)

Excellent, thank you again.

Comments as follows:

1181068170_AM.thumb.jpg.annotated.jpg.3091df03d7faad175348ce9fe584a4e8.jpg

General comment: Achingham track plan was adopted in a hurry without much thought in order to determine the general layout and see how it might fit in a layout scheme. It can and should be looked at critically and improved.

(1) Headshunt, Excellent and necessary addition.

(2) What is this siding for?  I don't know!  It was included because I saw it in a real station track plan.  I have some vague notion that it would be a loading bank for side unloading.  This could include a section with livestock pens. 

(3) The 'utility siding' is another excellent addition. I think you make a sound case for a headshunt here. 

I had conceived this as a private siding area, gated off and fenced as shown by the red lines. That would be inconsistent with placing the cattle dock there.

On a general point, you'll notice my sketch has considerable distance between the goods yard sidings and the maltings siding to reflect the fact these are two separate areas and to allow enough access by horse-drawn vehicles.

I wonder if, to save space on the prototype, the maltings siding would necessarily be fences off. So, there is a case for abandoning the idea of a fence and gate.  There would still be no railway company facilities on the maltings siding(s) however.

(4) The tedious siding, A kick back from the end loading dock siding. I have only the vaguest notion of what this might be for. It could be an alternative site for the cattle dock, but I tend to favour your idea. Either an engine shed (if one is deemed necessary at Achingham) but, if not, a loco servicing road with coal and water. 

(5) This siding must be the one serviced by the larger outside crane. It would presumably be for anything to be loaded/unloaded outside that did not require either a side or end loading bank.  It would, therefore, include coal. 

Yes, the S bend will need contours to follow.  Intrigued by the gas works spur, so will bear that in mind. 

That has, again, helped me a lot, so thank you again.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Annie, how wretched for you.

I can only sympathise having once had months of illness ultimately traced to a dental abscess.  And those spaced out sickness dreams on top of narcolepsy sound like a bad combination. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and give you some relief.

In my thoughts as ever.

Thanks very much James.  The antibiotics seem to be working as I'm having less pain now, but my gums at the site of the ruinous teeth are still swollen and tender.  Yes the dreams are a bit freaky, but still make more sense than the Reality (TM) the world is going through at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

(2) What is this siding for?  I don't know!  It was included because I saw it in a real station track plan.  I have some vague notion that it would be a loading bank for side unloading.

General goods, a crane perhaps - one bigger than in the goods shed, and for direct loading between railway and road. The goods shed would be used for small consignments, special loads, anything requiring extra paperwork or security, or dry storage until collection. Those loads might come on several wagons, so space to store wagons whilst others are dealt with is useful. When unloaded/loaded in the shed, wagons can be wheeled out by hand or horse, and others moved in to be dealt with. Any wagons waiting to be dealt with are taking up space that cannot be used for loading/unloading, so a siding parallel to them makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

On 17/05/2022 at 13:43, Compound2632 said:

I do not defend falsehoods.

The Lickey banker does not constitute a not small engine policy. Nor does building proper sized goods engines for the SDJR…

And anyway 4’8 1/2” gauge means they are all small engines for the narrow minded….ok to avoid offending the followers of that northern oik Stephenson (but in joyous hope of insulting) … ‘standard’ minds is more accurate…

Brunel rules ok!!!! and 7ft shall be the marking on that ruler!!!!

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
Trying to provoke Janes and Stephen more
  • Like 3

On 17/05/2022 at 14:13, Hroth said:

I'd expect the district to have good old-fashioned Macadam roads up to the mid-1920s, when all sorts of people were getting Motor Cars and the authorities in charge of maintaining the roads got fed up with repairing the damage that speeding motorists with their rubber tyres were causing.

Macadam surfaces, being little more than graded stones, worked by the iron tyres of non-motorised vehicles grinding the top layer of stones into a fine powder, that was consolidated by rain, etc to form a smooth surface.  Rubber tyres sucked this powder out of the interstices between the stones, distributing the dust over all and sundry, as well as flinging the small stones away, rutting the surface most unpleasantly.

Tar Macadam  bound the surface and proofed it against the ravages of Mr Toad and his pals...

I seem to recall Royce England making a point about noticing the change from chalk roads to tarmac in the 1920s and 30s in the Vale of the White Horse. It was one of the changes to the rural environment that apparently inspired him to start the Pendon project

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/05/2022 at 21:27, Nearholmer said:

I challenge Edwardian to build a “vertical traverser” for this location, thereby saving the trouble of cassettes and the space of a horizontal traverser. Ideally, it could be left locked in the fully raised position to act as a set of display shelves when the layout isn’t operating.

A dumb waiter for trains?

Didn’t Peter Denny design something similar? I remember an article on Model Railways in the 1980s… I think it was in preparation for a possible house move .

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I also weary of explaining how the broad gauge was bad engineering.

Perhaps an invigorating Horse’s Neck (made correctly with a liberal dose of Angostura Bitters, naturally) will restore your enthusiasm for happy disputation?

22 hours ago, Annie said:

Not really doing anything much as the moment Schooner

Hell, quite right too. Really sorry to hear that @Annie, proper rubbish. Hope the meds are bringing some relief now.

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What is this siding for?  I don't know! 

Fair enough! @Compound2632 and @Regularity both make good points which chime with my initial response too (before the gas works headshunt went in and I got distracted by Frome).

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I wonder if, to save space on the prototype, the maltings siding would necessarily be fences off.

Looking at Frome still, you could always fence off half!

Frome.jpg.14ef01a2e770987dab1ec3ccab4c1821.jpg

For interest, before the maltings was built and those siding put in, the cattle dock was on Westerly/LH loading dock, North of the goods shed (the 9 of 249). 

Anyway, all this layout planning lark is just deciding what traffic needs to be dealt with and coming up with a way to deal with it that matches how you enjoy playing trains. Simples! Quite a fun process in its own right, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I personally would not fence off the maltings.  Wagons (horse drawn cart type) arriving for loading or discharge at the goods shed need to have access to reverse back to the shed doors.  Putting a fence in place will limit the operational distance.  I have seen the same mistake made with more modern layouts where it would be impossible for a truck driver to reverse up to the doors.  

Edited by Andy Hayter
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3