NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

Wow, Andy!

This is going to be a cracker matey, I'm going to enjoy seeing this come together.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John, I certainly hope it will work out fine.

If only model shops did BOGOFF deals or 3for2.on points!no chance.

Now that would be a Bonus, hahah

North Road is now attached to my Layout Thread List and I hope to get on with the Engine Shed today. The plan is to do the next stage on the Shed, and then flick back to Pencarne whilst the Shed is drying.

I also intend to lay out some templates so that I can work out what Points I will need.

Very good, but it's all gone Great Western, nothing wrong with that, the model of 'Templecombe' makes me think of a Great Westernized Bournemouth, and your loco shed kit seems to have a strong GW influence, ah well, novel idea, but it will be good to see the finished layout.  :sungum:

Very good, but it's all gone Great Western, nothing wrong with that, the model of 'Templecombe' makes me think of a Great Westernized Bournemouth, and your loco shed kit seems to have a strong GW influence, ah well, novel idea, but it will be good to see the finished layout.  :sungum:

Totally agree Paul, but the Townstreet one was the nearest in shape to the S & D one at Bath, although that was Timber Built.

post-9335-0-56892700-1455527124.jpg

The Western influence came about because of my Stock of Hydraulics and also I've assumed that the Bath / Bristol line got busier with the Radstock Coal Traffic to Avonmouth increasing on this route and this used Western Hydraulics as its main stay of Motive Power and North Road is used for stabling and sometimes Fuelling between duties. 

Looking forwards to this one Andy. Always been a fan of the S&D. You will have to get yourself a green Peak as they worked into Bath on fill in turns from Bristol and trains from the Midlands which the S&D loco's worked forwards to Bournemouth.

Cheers Peter.

I like it, a good 'what if', the S&D had been taken over by the GW (as first planned) instead of the joint MR/LSWR deal, the Radstock GW link had gone in a few decades earlier, a west to south link would have gone in at Bath Junction, Merehead would have been quarried a few decades earlier, the coal field had been more productive etc, etc.

Thanks Peter, Paul and Mary, WHOOPS George, (does anyone remember that Group?).

NR will have lots of Traffic from the Midlands, South and the West so LOADS of scope, also I'm told that ER B1's also visited Bath and so a nice parallel Boiler B1 is a must for later on maybe. 

Made a small start on the Mortar for the Shed this morning with well diluted Magnolia Emulsion as per the instructions. Lee and I did a test piece the other day but the Emulsion was to thick so this morning I've watered it down some more and painted it on and then wiped the surface off. Its looking quite good so that will dry for a few Hours and then I can paint the Window and door frames.

Once that's dry the rest of the building joints will be painted in Emulsion to seal the Plaster before fitting together.

Whilst that's all drying I've been back doing some more bits on Pencarne, pics of that later as well in the Pen thread.

Looking at the plan, the diesel refuelling and tank do not look right to me, being too close to steam refuelling and ash disposal with all those sparks and wot not.  What about converting the goods shed (keeping the look of it but adding wasp stripe roller doors and perhaps the refuelling bit under the canopy) for use of diesel storage and refuelling. :scratchhead:

NR will have lots of Traffic from the Midlands, South and the West so LOADS of scope, also I'm told that ER B1's also visited Bath and so a nice parallel Boiler B1 is a must for later on maybe. 

Yep, B1's certainly did turn up at BGP, especially after the boundary changes in 1958 when all the old exLMS sheds in the Sheffield area came under ER control, the old MR shed at Canklow gradually lost it's Jubilee's (originally from Millhouses),  to be replaced by B1's. During summer holidays, if there were insufficient locos to change at Saltley ( BGP's main supplier of 'spare' locos), Sheffield B1's would work straight thro'.

• RMweb Gold

Just!

I tried "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." At a work meeting the other day and got blank looks all round. I must be getting old!

Paul.

Just!

I tried "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." At a work meeting the other day and got blank looks all round. I must be getting old!

Paul.

Andy Pandy ...... Sorry I mean Andy and George, will both remember that one Hahaha.

Cheers, Bob.

Looking at the plan, the diesel refuelling and tank do not look right to me, being too close to steam refuelling and ash disposal with all those sparks and wot not.  What about converting the goods shed (keeping the look of it but adding wasp stripe roller doors and perhaps the refuelling bit under the canopy) for use of diesel storage and refuelling. :scratchhead:

Multi - Multi-tasking, you'll need that signalman's arm chair for a rest this afternnoon :jester:

Thanks for the idea Mick, I keep looking and re drawing the area at the Top, I was going to put a Diesel Depot there but I have about 60 or 70 Wagons and Vans that I want to make some use of, so a Goods Yard or Marshalling Yard is really the only answer.

I will move that Fuel Storage Tank though, and maybe even the actual Fuelling Point itself.

Yep, B1's certainly did turn up at BGP, especially after the boundary changes in 1958 when all the old exLMS sheds in the Sheffield area came under ER control, the old MR shed at Canklow gradually lost it's Black 5's, to be replaced by B1's. During summer holidays, if there were insufficient locos to change at Saltley ( BGP main supplier of 'spare' locos), Sheffield B1's would work straight thro'.

Thanks for confirming all that Paul, it will help with Traffic Flows and variety as well.

Looking forward to following this Andy, steam sheds and diesel depots are top of my favourites list, this will be a cracker - And yes, I do remember that group hahaha.

Cheers, Bob.

Andy Pandy ...... Sorry I mean Andy and George, will both remember that one Hahaha.

Cheers, Bob.

Yes indeed Bob,

Just!

Paul.

I don't now, Kids today init! egh, no idea of the REAL WORLD. hahha

Cheers Paul,

Having seen the area you have for 'North Road' it should be great, can't wait to see the track going down...

Thanks George, I hope to get some laid later in the week, I might pick up the Pits, (9 of them) on Wednesday).

Having just read the bit about the sighting of the diesel facilities, made me look closer at the general layout design, and thought of a few other things to consider. I know there are always exceptions to the rule, but generally the turntable is normally made as easily accessible to the running line as possible, and bottle-necks are kept to a minimum, so with that in mind how about swapping the turntable, and shed positions or have the turntable on the left side, and shed on the right.- Just a thought

Hi Andy,

Another 'follower' here - you already know about my love of sheds, as I lived in the nearest ex - G&SWR maisonette adjoining the shed at Hurlford in Ayrshire. Hoping to start on a rough copy soon!

Looking good so far mate, but I'm going to keep quiet on ideas as you appear to have plenty of your own!

Look forward to the progress, just remember not to overdo things please!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Having just read the bit about the sighting of the diesel facilities, made me look closer at the general layout design, and thought of a few other things to consider. I know there are always exceptions to the rule, but generally the turntable is normally made as easily accessible to the running line as possible, and bottle-necks are kept to a minimum, so with that in mind how able swapping the turntable, and shed positions or have the turntable on the left side, and shed on the right.- Just a thought

Thanks Paul, the reason the Turntable and Shed are where they are is simple. I will be operating from just in front of the Turntable, and sitting there with a Loco Turning will be just perfect, secondly I like the idea of looking along the Pits and Shed roads to the inside of the Shed from the operating position. I may still bring the Feeder Road in direct from the Fiddle Yard, as opposed to traveling the length of the Layout, but either way I wont commit until I have some Track and Points to play with next week.

Either way the Shed and Turntable are fairly well fixed in my minds eye.

Cheers for you valued input though.

Archived