NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

Another 'follower' here - you already know about my love of sheds, as I lived in the nearest ex - G&SWR maisonette adjoining the shed at Hurlford in Ayrshire. Hoping to start on a rough copy soon!

Looking good so far mate, but I'm going to keep quiet on ideas as you appear to have plenty of your own!

Look forward to the progress, just remember not to overdo things please!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock, It's good to hear from you mate, I hope YOUR THE ONE taking things easy, I still only do an hour or an hour and a half at a time maximum, and then have a couple of hours off, walking the Dogs, Lunch, afternoon nap after lunch, (that's a must these days) and doing things a lot slower than I used to.

I looked at the Plan for Hurlford before starting this project, but decided on S & D because of my mixed love affair with Bulleids and Black 5's etc. so S & D was a natural choice.

I TOTALLY missed Steam Railways, I was busy as a 9, 10 and 11 year old Aircraft Spotting at Heathrow on a Saturday and at Fair Oaks Airfield near Cobham Surrey, on a Sunday watching the likes of Dick Emery and his Tiger Moth, (until it was written off) and many other Celebs of the day with their light Aircraft.

After that from about 12 (1962) onwards it was all Bikes until 1977, (aged 27) so you see I missed the best days of British Rail.

Now I have to try to re create from pics and plans a Depot for enjoyment.

I looked at the Plan for Hurlford before starting this project, but decided on S & D because of my mixed love affair with Bulleids and Black 5's etc. so S & D was a natural choice.

I TOTALLY missed Steam Railways, I was busy as a 9, 10 and 11 year old Aircraft Spotting at Heathrow on a Saturday and at Fair Oaks Airfield near Cobham Surrey, on a Sunday watching the likes of Dick Emery and his Tiger Moth, (until it was written off) and many other Celebs of the day with their light Aircraft.

After that from about 12 (1962) onwards it was all Bikes until 1977, (aged 27) so you see I missed the best days of British Rail.

S&D - good choice .

Missed steam - you have my deepest sympathy, some of my best younger ( innocent ?) days were spent in steam sheds in various parts of the country, the last 18 months of which was spent chasing steam with the help of a couple of motor-bikes, hence the username. :sungum:

Dear Andy,

What a great "supercharged" West Shed - loads of potential for loco movevements of the transition era.

Just one question - what turntable are you planning on installing?  I know you have queried me about the Peco turntable and reading this month's RM there appears to be a new Peco gear box/drive on its way to market but not sure when that will be.

Seriously, I do not know where you get your modelling energy.  In the time it's taken me to sort one corner of my layout out, you are creating North Road and also further improving "Pen".

More power to your elbow my friend but please take it steady.

Regards,

Brian.

Dear Andy,

What a great "supercharged" West Shed - loads of potential for loco movevements of the transition era.

Just one question - what turntable are you planning on installing?  I know you have queried me about the Peco turntable and reading this month's RM there appears to be a new Peco gear box/drive on its way to market but not sure when that will be.

Seriously, I do not know where you get your modelling energy.  In the time it's taken me to sort one corner of my layout out, you are creating North Road and also further improving "Pen".

More power to your elbow my friend but please take it steady.

Regards,

Brian.

Morning Brian and thanks for your interest, about 18 Months ago I bought a Heljan Turntable, a change of plan saw me sell it to a fellow Club Member, when he heard about North Road he offered it back to me as he was no longer going to use it so that's the one that will be going in shortly.

As for energy, well I don't do more than 3 Hours a day, normally in 2 x 1.5 hour stints and broken by walking the Dogs, Lunch and a nap in the chair after lunch, and other things. I think my secret is like now, I'm having breakfast, with my Laptop on my knee and also planning what I'll be doing when I go out about 09.30 hrs. Then its in for coffee about 11, and then do a bit more this afternoon.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Andy,

Great to see you regressing with your latest project. I envy your productivity!

Good plan re small chunks, dad adopted this approach after heart surgery two summers ago. Makes it more manageable.

Take care mate.

Regards,

Nick.

Morning Andy,

Great to see you regressing with your latest project. I envy your productivity!

Good plan re small chunks, dad adopted this approach after heart surgery two summers ago. Makes it more manageable.

Take care mate.

Regards,

Nick.

Thanks Nick, I've painted the windows on the Shed this morning and done some bits on Pencarne whilst that was drying. (nice easy little jobs). I'll poop (pop / see post 58, Thanks Jonathan) up some pics later.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick, I've painted the windows on the Shed this morning and done some bits on Pencarne whilst that was drying. (nice easy little jobs). I'll poop up some pics later.

That's going to be a sight to see!!

This morning I painted all the windows for the Engine Shed, there's a whole load of fine Brass ones as well, I will fit the Brass ones on Thursday and then there all ready for Glazing.

post-9335-0-86081400-1455640987_thumb.jpg

See I told you this wouldn't be a quickie. hahha :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

Oh Mr Hat,

You are funny!!!

The Stockton and Darlington doesn't have copyright on the initials "S&D" you know, thousands and thousands of people know that it does also refer to the "Somerset and Dorset", just with the tedious "Joint Railway" dropped off the end.

Now, go back to your frozen north eastern region!

Cheers,

John.

Yeah and they get it wrong. Honestly, its not as if the S&D was the worlds first or anything! :mosking: 

Have to say though, I am liking the modelling on this and attention to detail. Id be out doing some in the garage if it weren't for work soon. Its a gorgeous 6 degrees in sun up here. Don't need a coat!

At last I've finished glazing all the windows, 48 in the Roof Lights, 8 Large ones on the Main side, 8 small ones on the inner wall and 4 small ones on the outer wall.

post-9335-0-86961300-1455812850_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01179200-1455812879_thumb.jpg

I've also done a little on Pencarne as well this afternoon. :angel: 

Thanks Mike and George, I hope to start the assembly later today, then I deed to decide which way round to place it, i.e. the Offices to the front as in the pic on Post #1 or the big windows to the front so I can see in.

Does look nice Andy.

Have you build any other Townstreet bits?

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick, No this is my first one mate, it looks easy but you do need to take your time and just do a bit, let it dry and think about the next bit. The instructions say put it together with PVA but my mate Lee uses a hot Glue Gun as it goes together quicker and stronger, but the that is yet to come, hopefully later today.

Archived