• 1 year later...
On 15/07/2021 at 20:07, montyburns56 said:

A nice set of pictures which might  inspire someone to produce a model of the TCV Newton Chambers Car Carriers. Pretty please....

A681C-015

A681C-037

A781D-009(HR)

A781D-010(HR)

A681C-036

A681C-035A681C-034

A681C-032

A681C-031

A681C-016

A681C-014

A681C-013

A681C-012

A681C-011

by Jamerail

So I'm taking the credit for the Heljan model. You can all thank me at your leisure....   😉

• Thanks 4

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I've found that pictures of the Motorail GUVs in blue grey are surprisingly rare so...

Not totally surprising, a considerable number went from plain blue to Swallow.

The problem is that the Platform 5 books don't show the liveries correctly. For March 1988 there were 50 Motorail GUVs (either renumbered as 96xxx or allocated that series) of which, from checking the Ian Allan combined and photos, 31 were still plain blue, 17 were blue and grey and 2 were in InterCity Executive.

From late 1988 all Motorail GUVs started to be painted in Swallow.

It is not helped that the vast majority of photos on Flickr seem to be from 1991 onwards.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Flood said:

Not totally surprising, a considerable number went from plain blue to Swallow.

The problem is that the Platform 5 books don't show the liveries correctly. For March 1988 there were 50 Motorail GUVs (either renumbered as 96xxx or allocated that series) of which, from checking the Ian Allan combined and photos, 31 were still plain blue, 17 were blue and grey and 2 were in InterCity Executive.

From late 1988 all Motorail GUVs started to be painted in Swallow.

It is not helped that the vast majority of photos on Flickr seem to be from 1991 onwards.

Was there any difference in how Intercity Executive and Swallow were applied to motorail GUVs? They were never lettered with INTERCITY like the passenger carrying coaches

27 minutes ago, keefer said:

I'm sure I've seen a photo where INTERCITY  was painted on one of the wooden boards.

That feels familiar.

There's a photo in Parkin's Mk1 book which has "Motorail" in italic INTERCITY-style font on the chalkboards - the photo is too small to get a good look. 

Ah - wait - Flickr is our friend: https://www.flickr.com/photos/r-t-c/19437413962/  (and a couple more searching on "Intercity GUV Motorail").

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 25kV said:

That feels familiar.

There's a photo in Parkin's Mk1 book which has "Motorail" in italic INTERCITY-style font on the chalkboards - the photo is too small to get a good look. 

Ah - wait - Flickr is our friend: https://www.flickr.com/photos/r-t-c/19437413962/  (and a couple more searching on "Intercity GUV Motorail").

Unless that's what I was thinking of - I can't be sure, was a few years ago!

Good spot on the Motorail though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back on page 3 in 2020 I had decided I couldn’t really do a Motorail train. Well this year I changed my mind. I do N gauge and there were no Motorail carflats available so I had to do it the hard way and repaint/rebrand some Railease carflats. I ran these in a 5+5 set at Farnham last weekend and they raised a good deal of interest.  At Warley NEC I will be running 5 coaches plus 6 carflats. Ok it’s still not right but it makes an impressively long and different train.

Although I see this train as a late 1960s train I reckon it would also work well as a 1980s train with just the Motorail carflats and no coaches hauled by a 50.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 2