north star no 40

im building north star as a 4-4-2 but was it named north star then or was it once it was converted to a 4-6-0

thanks markattachicon.gif004.JPG

Not sure of the naming date but hope I can help elsewhere:

As far as I am aware all Churchward locomotives built from new were flush riveted above the footplate until Wartime conditions © 1916? dictated otherwise.

Like your rendering as a 4-4-2.

Mike Spence

Hi Mark,

No. 40 was unnamed when first built in 05/1906. The name 'North Star' was applied in 10/1906 and rebuilt to 4-6-0 config. in 11/1909. When built it had the Swindon works plate on the front splasher which was moved to the centre splasher at the time of rebuilding.

Dave R 

One mod you may wish to consider. 40/4000 was unique in having a 2 1/2 inch higher running plate.In 4mm this is less than a 1mm but visually what stood out was the outside cylinders sitting below the running plate and not cut out of  the running plate as per all the other stars/Castles.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=gwr+north+star&oq=gwr+north+star&gs_l=img.3..0i24.1772.6443.0.7092.16.15.1.0.0.0.81.964.15.15.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.15.905.YOOXvGLhVBI#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=gwr+4000+north+star&imgrc=Bk6KorVWrmmW0M%3A

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=gwr+north+star&oq=gwr+north+star&gs_l=img.3..0i24.1772.6443.0.7092.16.15.1.0.0.0.81.964.15.15.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.15.905.YOOXvGLhVBI#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=gwr+4000+north+star&imgrc=ueoBIDCaLF-lDM%3A

In model form the eye can be deceived by filling in the running plate and filing/reshaping the SEF cylinders. and reducing the height of the inside cylinder casing so it is flush with the top of the running plate.

Reducing the height of the SEF splashers is a big job. I helped someone with a similar project who used the ProScale star, where the splashers are separate and had their height reduced on the fret. Personally, like you, I would use the SEF every time. To produce a better Star, before the Hornby Star came out I used a SEF Castle with replacement Star no 1 boiler as below the boiler, the Castle castings are crisper, greater level of detail and ihas a purpose designed Etched SEF chassis.

Looking good

Mike Wiltshire

North Star is an awkward loco to model accurately.  Basically it was a straight famed Saint with four cylinders and a Saint is probably a better starting point for no 40 than a Star.  Somewhere along the line the redesign with Walschearts valve gear instead of scissors motion led to the lower running plate on the production Stars but oddly not on the 2 cylinder locos.  

I wonder if the design work for the Great Bear was used for the production Stars, I know the Stars were built before the "Bear" but the "Bear" was going to be a 2-6-2 at one time so some thought must have gone into valve gear as the Star Scissors gear would have been difficult to work in.  Personally I think a 4 cylinder 2-6-2 would have been difficult, though not impossible as the GWR was fitting a lot of outside Walschearts valve gear  at the time and extending the valve spindles a la Gresley so the outside cylinders valves could operate the inside cylinder valves through cranked links could have produced an incredibly rough running loco 10 years before Gresley achieved the same feat (the K3)

40/4000 remained unique for its lifetime even when rebuilt to a castle it retained the 3" higher running plate.  Generally on a model railway discrepancies in height are much more noticeable than length and that higher running plate and smaller splashers are very obvious on North Star

There is one other jarring feature on the model, the cab looks much too long.  Is it fixed? My ruler suggests it should be 17mm long in 4mm scale.  It is not clear from the drawings but it is highly likely that the cab sides and roof extended beyond the front plate of the cab, the  49XX Halls etc had this feature, it is only a couple of inches but very noticeable as the Manors and Granges which had the cab front flush with the front of the cab sides looked quite different

• 1 month later...

Archived