Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

One final post on the goods shed for now (unless any further information is discovered)

I have redesigned the roof, slightly increasing the height and sorting out the window design.

I have also added some brackets on the canopy, still no evidence either way, but looking at photos of other goods sheds on the Kingsbridge Branch they appear to be present.

post-54-0-80340000-1466190213_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So this evening should have seen the scenic baseboards built, unfortunately I ran into a slight issue in that while finishing off the framework while I was away in the week my father broke my saw (and forgot to tell me), so I wasn't able to cut any wood.

Will need to go back to B&Q tomorrow and buy a new one, annoying when I was there yesterday buying the wood.

When getting B&Q to cut the ply they made a mistake on the 610mm width pieces, cutting them 710 wide. a polite question asking what would happen to the scrap saw two placed on my trolley free of charge. Both are perfect for the two end boards that I planned on buying later once the sides were done. I couldn't remember the length of the short board, so left it 1220mm long. A good job in this case as upon test fitting in the garage the door still works fine with the longer board. As such the frame will be modified accordingly! This gives another 7 inches or so of length, allowing for more detail on the cutting at the Exeter end and the whole layout to be shifted to the right by one inch to get a better clearance at the Plymouth end.

I couldn't resist placing everything in place along with a length of track to get a feeling of spacing, hopefully after getting the saw tomorrow things should progress quickly and I will soon have a completed baseboard surface. Then it's time to pop over to C&L and start buying track...

I assume no one does OO track bases with GWR chairs?

post-54-0-06433400-1466200193_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-21780900-1466200211_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-79092900-1466200230_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-15675200-1466200251_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Annoyingly don't have my personal laptop with me for this weeks trip, as I didn't think I had any layout design to do...

But I've just found another photo (eBay) in BR times which shows (in shadow) the inside of the station side of the shed, from this you can make out that the brickwork matches the outside in having raised sections. Glad I picked it up now!

As for the layout its self, the weekend saw no where near the progress I had planned. After buying a saw on Saturday morning, the weather was awful for the rest of the weekend and there isn't space to set the workmate up inside the garage. Hopefully this weekend will prove better....

I have however managed to plan out the location of all the support ribs, the ideal being a rib on each end (shared with the next board) and 2 intermediates at a 300mm spacing. However because of the fixed length of timber and fixed track plan there are some points on a board joint. So in these cases I have angled the rib to clear the tortoise motor and added a plywood buttstrap between the the boards for the rest of the final part of the plan is a trip to C&L on Friday to buy enough track bases to lay the mainline. The plan being to remove sections of this track at a later stage once the points are built and ready to lay. Given that there are 5 points each to build for the up and down main alone, I'd like to at least get the majority working before I get started then add them in one at a time. Once the main is fully working work will start on adding the yard loops (again one loop at a time) and finally the branch and fiddleyard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This evening finally I found time to get on with some construction of baseboards, with the main scenic section now about two thirds complete. The construction method has worked well (as I expected it would) but has taken a lot of time. Hopefully I will manage to get the rest built through the week and actually get some track down at the weekend...

I need to get myself some OO gauges and make a decision as to whether I will file my own vees and switch blades (seeing that C&Ls double slip is something like £100 I think I will probably have a crack with the file first.....)

Finally back to the goods shed.

Having now got the other two books on the kingsbridge branch, I've another change to make to the drawing based on the photo showing the interior. The brickwork needs another raised section to the right side of the Plymouth end door...

post-54-0-93127300-1466893312_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More progress tonight, with the rest of the frame work finished off and the fiddleyard baseboards placed into position (the far board is screwed down while the rest have been left loose for the moment.) The main reason for this is that the sub frame is 1 inch too wide, I've worked to the outer edge but need to double check this works with the track plan before screwing the ply down.

There is also a much bigger problem, the first points on the Paddington end of the fiddleyard have the switch blades overlapping the baseboard joint to the removeable section. As such it's going to need a major redesign. I'm thinking about trying a couple of the largest radius Peco curved points, or alternatively if that won't work the second option is trying 3 way curved points.

I thing the best thing to do will be to stick down the track plan for the scenic section and take it from there.

There are still two more boards to make, the far board (currently just a length of ply supported by two brackets), again this needs the plan gluing down in order to check alignments and positioning before marking out the bridge. At the other end of the layout, there is still a gap for the enterance to the centre of the layout. I still can't decide between a lift out section or a hinged flap. (And haven't really got a clue how I would make the latter)

post-54-0-09781800-1467146858_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-69139500-1467146695_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-10778600-1467146680_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

Thanks for the update - good progress.

My joinery skills are not up to things like lifting flaps - I am restricted to crawling on the concrete floor of the garage to get under the baseboard. However the following is an excellent solution - neat, robust and efficient and whats more suitable for the conveyance of God's Wonderful Railway trains! Certainly in the spirit of Mr Brunel's wooden viaducts  :paint:

See post #87 in

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/page-4

Best of luck with which ever option you go with

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Having set the plan to print before leaving for work this morning, I got home to realise that the printer has messed up and not printed the top 15mm of each page (meaning that certain templates do not align.). Completely ruining my plan to be gluing them down this evening. I also realised that I haven't got round to correcting the timber alignment on any of the points yet, meaning a fair bit more work is needed in templot!

The plan is to use this purely as an outline, building all the points off layout then dropping them into place, so the timber issues are not major (will take the laptop to Sevilla this week and crack on with the adjustments in the lounge at Heathrow!)

The dodgy printing is more of an issue, I'm hoping it's a simple solution and I can just reprint those templates impacted.

The poor alignment of the garage walls is making for some difficulty in alignment (as the baseboards are equally crooked) so tomorrow's first task is to plot on a datum and mark out the templot grid from this. Then it will finally be time to start gluing down templates. I am a little concerned that the bay platform is too narrow, but I think this is significantly compounded due to templates in the wrong place due to the aforementioned issue with the missing printing meaning they are miss aligned.

I couldn't resist posing a couple of buildings in position, along with a Plymouth Liverpool working to test platform lengths, (6 plus loco fits easily, 7 plus loco might just....)

post-54-0-12578400-1467322015_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

After a trip to the village hardware store to buy some waterproof PVA, instead I've come home with a can of aerosol carpet glue instead. So this evening I have cracked on with gluing down the templates. There is some minor misalignment due to my rubbish 10 year old printer, but it's done the job. I have however changed the plan, and will now only lay plane track as the points are fitted rather than the initial plan of getting a running oval first. There is too much risk of these small missalignments combining into the two ends not matching up. So I guess it's about time I made a start on building some vees and switch rails to see how I get on, it's been a very long time since I made some rather than buying them in. But this time the cost saving of home building is just too much to resist.

post-54-0-79447000-1467409287_thumb.jpeg

This photo showing the Plymouth end with templates glued down, shows one of the major changes to the prototype I have had to incorporate. The end of the loop is too far in the station direction, while the point to enter the yard is too far in the Plymouth direction. It makes a big impact on the bridge location (and the Avon bridge) but should still look like Brent...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A very frustrating evenings work, redoing the same section umpteen times.

The plan hasn't been stuck down completely true at one side, mostly caused by the missing 10mm of printing. I should have tried harder to resolve the printing issue rather than just pressing on...

In the process I have identified one point which needs moving about 40mm to the left (with w 40mm straight added in to the other side to maintain position of the goods shed point.) this reduced the gap between bay line and loop, while increasing the distance between the loop and shed. This is compounded by the change of curve needed to resolve the alignment issue.

I haven't corrected the route cause (the Plymouth end slip is at a slight angle) as I prefer the new alignment, so instead have tweeked the radius of the loop etc.

Checking the goods shed and the lower siding, the latter needs a slight adjustment to increace the angle and push it away from the shed. I also think I need to look again at my shed drawing and remove 1 window from the length. Having test fitted the smaller shed I made for Kites Croft (just happens to be about a window shorter) I think the clearances look a lot better than a scale building.

So that's pretty much it for the moment, I have given thought to making a start on adding the earth works, but keep thinking getting some track in place and working first would be best (I dont want to get a lot of scenics glued down before finding out s fundamental flaw with the track.

Just need to buy some hi nickel silver rail and a set of track gauges and get started. I'm getting very worried about the size of the flange way gaps in the slip and the very large radius points (not being used to OO.). So hopefully they all work ok (otherwise there are big problems!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since there was any progress worth showing, holidays and the warm weather getting in the way of getting out in the garage.

However today I finally found some time to get started, with the mainline laid between the first two points in the up and down directions. Gluing down with evostick 1 minute as per my usual method (although I forgot that with a much bigger layout it uses a lot more glue. Will need to stock up before the next track laying session.

The next job will be the Exeter point in the up direction and the single slip in the down direction.

Or alternatively the crossover between up and down main at the Plymouth end. This will require fixing the baseboard under the yard double slip which has bowed up slightly.

I have also been completing more research into formations, armed with a 1946 to June 47 carriage working file, passenger timetable and finally the working timetable. Coupled with another carriage file for Plymouth in the mid 50s to assist in filling in the gaps.

From this I have completed a master timetable with something like 100 workings, and appropriate formations so just need a 50 road fiddleyard in each direction!

It did leave one question, with a workmans train scheduled to stop in Brent early in the morning but no return working in the evening.

The freight is a lot trickier, but that can wait...

post-54-0-00939100-1469808535_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This evenings work saw the fitting of the first point Vee (C9) along with the rest of the approach track, I was presently supprised how well this went together given that it was something like ten years since I last made my own Vee.

Given all the curves I have been trying to keep rail lengths as long as possible, with the Vee forming part of the outer rail of the single slip (before being cut once built to isolate.). Tomorrow I aim to file the second switch blade and hopefully test it.

post-54-0-25859600-1470001352_thumb.jpeg

The slip has been giving me a lot of trouble, as I am starting to think I've made it far too short. The problem is that I cannot see how I am going to to add the switch blades (which are very short), at most it seems to only give one or two sleepers to attach them to.

Advice is very welcome

post-54-0-10377400-1470001376_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After some discussion here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113541-single-slip-building-help/ I think I have a way forward on the single slip. So tonight I put together a simple jig and then soldered up the first vee, the second will follow tomorrow.

More straight track was also laid, connecting the down main to the start of the lift out section. I also added some copperclad strips to reinforce the rail at the baseboard edge.

Finally the other outer rail was fitted to the C9, which is now ready for switch rails. (Which will not be prepared until post jig purchase at Wells.

Of course the lack of filing jig means that I can't make much more progress on the slip, other than fitting the vees.

So my main plan for the next working session will be completing the main work on the crossover at the Plymouth end, along with a start on some wireing....

post-54-0-39190800-1470087817_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-54583000-1470087839_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another day another update, trying to fully make use of a month during which I should not need to travel for work!

Today I have managed to fit the two vees to the slip, along with fitting the first switch rail to the C9 along with a quick test.

post-54-0-36024400-1470158183_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-38936100-1470158193_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice curve Rich.

Thanks for your interest with St. Breward too.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thanks,

I'm quite pleased with the curve, it's worked out better than I expected. I'm looking forward to adding the branch curve as well to finish the look...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After buying a point blade jig at Wells last weekend I have cracked on with the single slip. The blades were quickly formed with the jig, then soldered to short lengths of 0.6mm copperclad (also fitting the check rail and running rails at the same time.

This made up a sub assembly which was then stuck in place with Evostick. Once dry tomorrow I will add the chairs with Butonal on the rest of the sleepers to hold it in place and then check if it worked.

I had planned to solder the the running rails insitue, however I just couldn't get the iron in the small clearance.

post-54-0-67148300-1471295238_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-38067300-1471295250_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Given the recent warm weather progress on the layout has slowed somewhat, as the garage has been far too hot to be comfortable working in the evenings, the distraction of the Olympics hasn't helped....

Last night however I did manage another hour of work focused around the single slip. The remaining check rails have now been added, along with the tie bars for the switch rails. On the latter I used 1.5mm copper-clad strip (a copper-clad sleeper cut in half), although in this case I filed a large dip in the centre of the sleeper to provide clearance for the rail for the other slip road.

post-54-0-38741300-1471531568_thumb.jpeg

Taken before adding the rest of the check rails

Of course I did end up making a stupid error and forgot to drill the hole for the operating mech, which will now need to be drilled from below...

With this complete thoughts turned to testing, so out with the soldering iron again and track feeds were soldered in position before connecting to the wiring loom (or the mess under the baseboard as its otherwise known...) It did highlight a couple of problems, one elongated point vee had expanded and was now touching the neighbouring piece of rail causing a short. This was an easy fix getting the razor saw out and cutting the vee to a more sensible length.

Once that was done the 511 was connected up, and testing progressed. At the moment my stock testing consists of push along runs with an old Bachmann Benzol tank, followed by testing with a new Hornby Collett. Before powered testing with a Bachmann WD 2-8-0 and a Hornby King. (I will probably add a Westcountry and a 2800 to the testing rota as well at some point). In the down direction there were no issues, but running wrong line did indicate an issue with derailments. Given that some operations require wrong line running (particularly the need to remove coaches off the back of workings from Paddington this clearly needed fixing. As the YouTube video below shows, it now works in both directions with the WD, and with the King in the down direction at speed. Further testing was also completed with a Bachmann 4575 which also passed. There is still some jumping when the loco hits the check rails, so a little more refinement is needed there. I want to check that stock is not hitting the top of the chairs...

The connection between the Up and Down Mainlines and the connection between the yard and the up main have yet to be tested, the latter being a bit tricky until the Double Slip is built (which wont be for some time!)

Now that the slip is finished, I can get back to easier points at the Plymouth end crossing, and guess I should start thinking about installing some Tortoise motors. (But I suspect the latter wont happen until it cools down enough that I am happy working in the confined space under the baseboards...

[flash=]

Down Cornish Rivera Express (missing a few coaches) followed by what will eventually become 77289 on loan from the War Department.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

You probably have a lot more practical experience than me, but if the loco's jumping , that would point in the first instance to tight back to backs on the loco and in the second instance a tight flangeway or track tight to gauge.

If it's one loco only , that would point the finger at the wheelsets: Bachmann back to backs have been known to drift down to 14.3mm or lower. The Sandakan factory always used to be a lot more consistant in this area than Kadar....

Put another way, I have this at one point, with one loco. That loco is an un-rewheeled Airfix 31. I've no doubt the flangeway is a little tight , but its only the one loco that's marginally compliant with standard that finds it out....

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't really thought about the back to backs, despite clearly having to be obsessive about setting the back to back correctly on my p4 stock.

It does explain why the 15 year old Bachmann split axle tank wagons (which I have set the back to back on) work perfectly fine. First job for tomorrow check the B2B on the three test locos.

Speaking of which, test number two was finished tonight running form the up main into the yard with both the WD and a 4575. Again a small adjustment was needed to widen the clearance on the switch blade (I think I am still setting them to something closer to P4 than OO.)

Tomorrow afternoon it's back to work on the crossing at the Exeter end, once that is complete it will be possible to run a circuit from the up mainline then back up through the slip and return to the up through the crossing at the Exeter end.

• RMweb Gold

While watching the hockey final this evening I've put together the vee and outer rails for the other half of the crossover, and added the sleeper bases for the down main point into the yard (along with the plain track linking to the other double slip.

In this case to aid with getting the curve right through the point, I have used the curve through the plain track continues smoothly on to the curved point. This is fitted with chairs and ready to glue down at the weekend.

It won't be tomorrow though, as I'm off to Duxford for a flight in a tigermoth (but it's weather permitting and looking at the forecast I think there's a very slim chance I will be flying. However I have a hotel booked and have promised the 2 year old she can see some planes tomorrow so will still be heading over just in case....)

post-54-0-72809100-1471644795_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There are not that many rural GW junction stations where a train could run directly from the main line onto the branch. Those examples that do exist are mainly for the benefit of freight rather than passenger trains.

Joseph, I'm not sure how rural somewhere needs to be to be rural, but in Cornwall alone there are Lostwithiel, Par, Chacewater, Hayle and St Erth.