Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

Hi Chris('s),

That sounds very good indeed, I wish you well with it.

Will it have any sprung axles at all, please?

Also, what about some kind of "stay alive" function for (at least) the sound fitted version, please?

If it has these kind of refinements*, I could easily by tempted back to the senior scale.

Cheers,

John E.

*Neccessary imho for completely reliable running with DCC sound.

MINERVA MODEL RAILWAYS ANNOUNCES ITS SECOND LOCOMOTIVE – THE KERR STUART VICTORY CLASS 0-6-0 TANK LOCOMOTIVE IN 7MM ‘O’ GAUGE (1:43.5) FOR 32MM STANDARD GAUGE

Penarth, United Kingdom, 5th March 2016

...05/09/2106...

Nice long order period then.

Jokes aside the CAD looks marvelous. Good luck with the project. Looks absolutely wonderful.

£250 post free for "early bird" orders is a very tempting price. Think the Peckett was £235, so the Victory isn't a victim of the price hikes and delays which are hot topics on the OO rtr area of the forum.

Will there light green colour be the same as the Peckett? Hoping it is.

Guessing there order form will be a downloadable PDF.

The light green colour and lining will be identical to the lined green Minerva Peckett, which is also the same shade as the first Ixion  lined green Hudswell Clarke. Order form attached for your convenience.

Regards,

Chris

Minerva Victory Order Form.pdf

Outside cylinder 0-6-0T with sidetanks and a big, tough looking job  :locomotive:  - heaven, and a must have (yes alright, Dock Green is already infested with an abundance of industrials but....).  :sungum:

What shade of red is the red? I think we should be told.

Chaz

Outside cylinder 0-6-0T with sidetanks and a big, tough looking job  :locomotive:  - heaven, and a must have (yes alright, Dock Green is already infested with an abundance of industrials but....).  :sungum:

What shade of red is the red? I think we should be told.

Chaz

Chaz,

We are still debating the exact shade of red, but it could be a close match to the Ixion Hudswell Clarke. We'll post details in due course.  The lining on the red version will be blocked black and yellow.

Chris

Chaz,

We are still debating the exact shade of red, but it could be a close match to the Ixion Hudswell Clarke. We'll post details in due course.  The lining on the red version will be blocked black and yellow.

Chris

Now, don't you think it would look really good with a deep crimson lake?  Black and yellow lining sounds good and a Stanier type hooter in the sound project would also sound good, yes? (and I'm thinking "Josephine" for the nameplates.)

Chaz

Well done Minerva for another great announcement to support rtr O Gauge which will be delivered in a sensible timeframe at a great price. Looking forward to seeing the final product when it arrived, it is certainly something different to complement the Peckett! I don't think my arm can be twisted on this one (I am saving for he aforementioned Peckett!!) but I am sure my resolved will be tested over the coming months!

Fantastic stuff!

Edited by south_tyne

Well done Minerva for another great announcement to support rtr O Gauge which will be delivered in a sensible timeframe at a great price. Looking forward to seeing the final product when it arrived, it is certainly something different to complement the Peckett! I don't think my arm can be twisted on this one (I am saving for he aforementioned Peckett!!) but I am sure my resolved will be tested over the coming months!

Fantastic stuff!

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

I've just seen the picture, on your Cwm Bach layout, of one of these locos next to a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST and it looks huge in comparison. Can you please give the dimensions, particularly the height above rail. I'm currently building a loco shed and want to make sure the door is high enough for one of these beasts.

I've just seen the picture, on your Cwm Bach layout, of one of these locos next to a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST and it looks huge in comparison. Can you please give the dimensions, particularly the height above rail. I'm currently building a loco shed and want to make sure the door is high enough for one of these beasts.

Putting anything next to the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST is an eye opener - try buffering it up to a 12T 10' WB van. The HC saddle tank is a very small loco' - the Peckett is a much bigger engine, despite it being an 0-4-0ST! I suspect if your door is tall enough for a BR van to pass through it the Kerr Stuart will have no problem.

Chaz

I hope the model does really well but it does strike me as a slightly unusual choice.  It is really too big for any 'light railway' purposes or the traditional tightly curved shunting / industrial yard schemes that are popular in 0.

It would be interesting to know why this one was chosen above the smaller Kerr Stuarts 0-6-0T of similar design.  I'm no expert but I know there was an 'Argentina' class with a much smaller boiler (mainly for export?) and a slightly smaller 'Triana' class that was ordered (but never delivered) for the Selsey Tramway.

I'm still hoping for an RTR Manning Wardle I or K (small, beautiful engines!).  I suppose I should just start building one and then Dapol or Minerva will definitely bring one out...

I hope the model does really well but it does strike me as a slightly unusual choice.  It is really too big for any 'light railway' purposes or the traditional tightly curved shunting / industrial yard schemes that are popular in 0.

It would be interesting to know why this one was chosen above the smaller Kerr Stuarts 0-6-0T of similar design.  I'm no expert but I know there was an 'Argentina' class with a much smaller boiler (mainly for export?) and a slightly smaller 'Triana' class that was ordered (but never delivered) for the Selsey Tramway.

I'm still hoping for an RTR Manning Wardle I or K (small, beautiful engines!).  I suppose I should just start building one and then Dapol or Minerva will definitely bring one out...

One of the Victories was acquired by the East Kent Light Railway, part of the Colonel Stephens empire of light railways. The coupled wheelbase of the Victory is 6' + 6', not much longer than 5'9" + 5'9" for the Ixion Hudswell Clarke and so will negotiate sharp curves. We have specified a minimum radius of 36" and will see just how tight it can go when we receive the first engineering prototype later in the spring. We think there is a gap for an outside cylinder 0-6-0T and we also wanted a locomotive that was used by some of the mainline companies.  The Victory fits this bill with three going into GWR service, two of which survived into the mid-50s in BR ownership. The aforementioned East Kent Light Railway engine also passed in BR ownership and was allocated a BR number, but was scrapped in 1949 and never carried the new number.

• Like 1

Hi Chris('s),

That sounds very good indeed, I wish you well with it.

Will it have any sprung axles at all, please?

Also, what about some kind of "stay alive" function for (at least) the sound fitted version, please?

If it has these kind of refinements*, I could easily by tempted back to the senior scale.

Cheers,

John E.

*Neccessary imho for completely reliable running with DCC sound.

Hello again Chris'

I hope my post above was not in any way disrespectful to you or the design and running qualities of your locos, I understand they are very good in that respect.

I was merely wondering about the mechanical specification, is all. If you simply missed it, may I ask again, please?

Many thanks,

John E.

One of the Victories was acquired by the East Kent Light Railway, part of the Colonel Stephens empire of light railways. The coupled wheelbase of the Victory is 6' + 6', not much longer than 5'9" + 5'9" for the Ixion Hudswell Clarke and so will negotiate sharp curves. We have specified a minimum radius of 36" and will see just how tight it can go when we receive the first engineering prototype later in the spring. We think there is a gap for an outside cylinder 0-6-0T and we also wanted a locomotive that was used by some of the mainline companies.  The Victory fits this bill with three going into GWR service, two of which survived into the mid-50s in BR ownership. The aforementioned East Kent Light Railway engine also passed in BR ownership and was allocated a BR number, but was scrapped in 1949 and never carried the new number.

Thanks - you are absolutely right about the EKR Collier of course but because of her weight she was limited to the short and very heavily-laid Shepherdswell to Tilmanstone section.  I don't think she operated on anything other than coal trains but I could be wrong.  It would be interesting to see any pictures of her at work on the EKR if anyone has them.  I think even the Triana class was quite heavy for light railway use and it was the main reason why the WSR cancelled their order.

But not to worry - if I am honest I will probably buy one anyway!  Good luck with it.  Great to see more affordable RTR in O gauge.

Hello again Chris'

I hope my post above was not in any way disrespectful to you or the design and running qualities of your locos, I understand they are very good in that respect.

I was merely wondering about the mechanical specification, is all. If you simply missed it, may I ask again, please?

Many thanks,

John E.

John,

At least one axle will be sprung allowing vertical movement about articulated coupling rods. The DCC versions will not have stay-alive fitted as it is an 0-6-0. My experience of locos with more than four wheels collecting current is that stay-alive is nice, but not essential. However, contacts should be on the equipment to facilitate the fitting of stay-alive for which there is plenty of room .

Regards,

Chris.

• Like 1