Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Ken, would you mind telling me whose drawing you used and where I might obtain one?

I really fancy having a go at a scratch build and this looks just the sort of thing that is simple enough as a starter. I loved your Armstrong Whitworth but the wife would never forgive me if I built a diesel. And seeing as she encourages and indulges me I see no point in spoiling it. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

I obtained the drawing from a fellow light railway modeller. The drawing is now 40 years old. I have to say it's not entirely accurate. The main problem is the footplate is too low. I had to raise it quite a bit for the correct buffer height plus allowing clearance for the con rods. There were a few others things that are obvious and easy to cope with.

I have scanned the drawing and will PM it to you when the site is running again tomorrow and I can access your PM service.

Regards Ken. PS the Armstrong Whitworth was easier to build.

:) Almost there. Just some minor details and then the big clean for painting. I completely forgot to order the SEVERN name plates. Oh well, that shouldd take about three weeks to have them custom made.

This has been a nice inexpensive build. Wheels ??40, motor gearbox ??28, brass ??7, name plates ??7, castings were from the scrap box from previous kit options. The chimney is a cut and shunt sitiing on a NER safety valve base + Halfords body filler, thin brass sheet and careful profiling. The chimney originally had a flared top so I cut that off leaving the small rim. The water filler is a GWR tender one, the hinges removed and a different lifting handle fitted. The smokebox door just need the hinge straps extending. It's amazing just how many parts can be utilised with a little modification. Paint is left overs from previous models.

This is it so far. (OOOPS, just noticed the cab handrail needs pulling out a tad at the footplate. Amazing how photos show up faults you miss just looking at it.)

post-150-12663542098878_thumb.jpg

post-150-12663553221737_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

:D Hi All. Just back from 18 days staying at our daughter's in Florida and now able to post the photos of SEVERN finally all painted. Just waiting for the name plates now on order.

A new item in the WB room is a 32" scenic plank soley for photographic purposes. The back scene is three photos of the Snowdonia mountains, subdued, enlarged and and pasted on the back piece. In front of that is a low stone wall.

Here is the results showing SEVERN.

post-150-126849738903_thumb.jpg

post-150-126849741163_thumb.jpg

post-150-126849742543_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking great Ken - I hadn't realised that it would be painted all black (that makes it easier - I don't know why I was thinking GWR or Brunswick green).

Hey Rob, check the photos again, it's blue. Not sure weather it ran in blue on the S & M but their locos were were mostly blue.

Hey Rob, check the photos again, it's blue. Not sure weather it ran in blue on the S & M but their locos were were mostly blue.

OOPS!! :blink: The wife said she thought it was blue - I have just looked again and perhaps I need to clean my glasses.

That is a nice piece of work :icon_thumbsup2: It's making me wonder whether my skills are up to scratchbuilding one of the Radstock 'Dazzlers' (albeit in 4mm).

Nick

Only one way to find out, try it. (Seen my sigmature?)

Only one way to find out, try it. (Seen my sigmature?)

For the moment I'll just think about it and keep watching you and others for ideas while I try to finish some other projects but, in the end you're right, there is only one way to find out.

Nick

Hi again. Been building more of the same old. But here is something a bit different and a first for me. A Lanky Kits L & Y Atlantic 'High Flyer'

I was warned it's was not the easiest kit to build, however the tender has gone together pretty well. A bit basic by todays standards. It's basically just a box on a chassis. The hardest part was forming the flares and forming the half etch overlay to match. Once that was achieved the rest was a doddle.

Just started the loco. The frames are Premier milled jobs with milled rods, so that's a good start.

The tender.

post-150-126894555839_thumb.jpg

Onwards tomorrow.

I like that... yet another foreign loco though ! :lol:

JB.

Aye, I seem to build 'foriegn' locos every week. I doubt there is a UK railway company that has not passed through across WB.

Hi, following this thread with interest and envy. There have been a couple of references to Premier regarding coupling rods, can anyone provide details or better still a link? Thanks

Hi boeing757 (Do you build them or drive them?)

Premier Components are a bit elusive. No web contact I'm afraid. You will find him here.

14 Swanlow Avenue, Swanlow Park, Winsford, Chehire CW7 1PB.

Tel 01606 554616

Now back to the Atlantic. Not much done today, most of the day spent pressure washing the paths & patio.

Here is the chassis so far. Except for the cast brakes themselves, I had to fabricate the rest of the brake gear. One thing about a milled chassis, it's foolproof to get a free running chassis straight out of the box, so to speak. Should make some reasonable progress tomorrow, if all goes to plan.

post-150-12690329275_thumb.jpg

post-150-126903293252_thumb.jpg

Hi Beoing 757. looks like you forgot to add your text to the above reply :huh:

Hi, you,re on the mark early today! Was going to say thanks for the steer to Premier, have you used them before? To answer your previous post yes I used to drive them, possibly the next best thing to a Gresley pacific.

Hi, you,re on the mark early today! Was going to say thanks for the steer to Premier, have you used them before? To answer your previous post yes I used to drive them, possibly the next best thing to a Gresley pacific.

Ha, my daughter is a commercial pilot in the USA, nothing a large as the 757 though, just a King Air on on island hopping in the Burmuda tri-angle. Nothing spooky has happened as yet. But her cockpit did fill with dense smoke from a faulty undercarriage motor last month. That provoked a scary emergency landing with almost no visiblity through the smoke.

Yes, I know Bill from many, many years ago. Excellent products.

Onward and upwards. A good afternoons uninterrupted spell has the chassis all but finished and a start on the body. Not quite plain sailing as there were a number of clearance issues.

Namely the bogie had no verticle clearance and the loco frames would not fit into the footplate hole. The axle bush shoulders needed parring down to allow the wheels to turn. Other than that, so far so good.

post-150-126910281976_thumb.jpg

Just a quickie update before hitting the model today.

All the tedious part of construction is done. Now to the detailing. Hopefully that will be done today.

post-150-126933292776_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

:D As hoped for, all finished and ready to prepare for painting.

The kit was no where near as bad as fisrt feared. It has gone very well. No more adjustments were needed than on most kits and nothing that caused problems in doing so. I am now looking forward the second one which is going to be in the later LMS condition.

I think it's a very attractive prototype.

The resing castings were a perfect fit and saved a lot of works too.

Here she is ready for cleaning up.

post-150-126936630166_thumb.jpg

post-150-126936191167_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Pete. I never use etching primers. Also do not wash resin casting before assembly (I used to produce resin kits in 0 16.5)

I do use a fine scratch brush on areas where the adhesive goes. Then when assembled I wash the whole model in hot soapy water and Ciff cleaner and a stiff brush. Then in fresh hot water wash again in soapy water, then a good rinse under a warm flow of water and a blow dry.

Been doing this for decades and my paintwork has stood the test of time on models I still see running from 30+ years ago