Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

:D As hoped for, all finished and ready to prepare for painting.

The kit was no where near as bad as fisrt feared. It has gone very well. No more adjustments were needed than on most kits and nothing that caused problems in doing so. I am now looking forward the second one which is going to be in the later LMS condition.

I think it's a very attractive prototype.

The resing castings were a perfect fit and saved a lot of works too.

Hi Ken

Indeed a very attractive prototype. Whose kit is it please? Once I have finished the BR stock I need for my ex L&Y layout, I am minded to take it back in time to have more pure L&Y stock - Dreadnought, big 0-8-0 goods locos, 2-4-2 tanks and a Highflyer.

Thanks

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Miss Prism, nice to hear from you again. The loco is very nicely balanced over the rear drivers without any addition weights. So any extra weight could only really be added at the rear of the boiler. I think she is heavy enough to pull up to six coaches as she is.

Richard. As stated, the kit is a Lankey kit. Gladiator also do the Highflyer too. Not sure if Geoffs is the Lankey one as it's not on Lankey kits web site. I will ahve to ask him on the the contact.

To return to the S & M 'SEVERN' model. The name and number has now been fitted, what a difference small things like that make.

post-150-126944812768_thumb.jpg

post-150-126944813651_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All. Quietly beavering away as usual. Just thought y'all might like to see this latest one off the bench. A LWSR Adams Radial. This is a Shedmaster kit and I love it. So much so, I have ordered two for myself. One for the layout, the other, wel, baybe for sale when completed.

Back to this one, Just the balance weights to add and paint out the red sides to the gearbox as supplied to me with the kit.

The rear coupling will swing side to side as prototype. A neat trick to pass on. Fitting the window glass will be much neater by making a secondary cab front/rear, complete with the backplate attached and the glass then sanwiched between the two as in the last image.

post-150-127004967156_thumb.jpg

post-150-127004967783_thumb.jpg

post-150-127004968677_thumb.jpg

post-150-127004984063_thumb.jpg

Now for something really different. I have a David Andrews Peppercorn A2 underway. Starting, as usual, with the tender. The chassis has taken all of two hours to assemble. These are lovely kits to build and fall together quite quickly.

The chassis. Centre axles are sprung.

post-150-127005473624_thumb.jpg

post-150-127005474596_thumb.jpg

Oh you lucky man Ken. I'd love to build myself an Andrews kit, but there's nothing in the lineup that takes my fancy other than the GW 2-8-0 tank, but that doesn't fit too well with 1946 LNER! :lol:

JB.

LNER man & don't fancy a one of the pacifics??????????? :blink:

Tell what Jonathan, I wish I had an excuse his his rebuilt merchant navy class, that is one impressive machine. (Maybe one day for the mantle piece :icon_drool: )

I would love a go at an Andrews Kit and I do love LNER Pacifics.

I was looking at Buckjumpers thread yesterday and followed a link to ACE kits and noticed that they do a kit for The original P2 both Cock O the North and Earl Marishal. Have you ever had any experience of building one of the Ace kits Ken?

I only ask because it is a prototype I would like to model - I nearly bought a Proscale 4mm kit until I heard a few people mention their struggles.

I would love a go at an Andrews Kit and I do love LNER Pacifics.

I was looking at Buckjumpers thread yesterday and followed a link to ACE kits and noticed that they do a kit for The original P2 both Cock O the North and Earl Marishal. Have you ever had any experience of building one of the Ace kits Ken?

I only ask because it is a prototype I would like to model - I nearly bought a Proscale 4mm kit until I heard a few people mention their struggles.

My ONLY experience of Ace Kits is the J52. That was a lovely kit to build.

• Like 1

As luck would have it I have raised a bit of funding through selling a few surplus items on ebay so I have sent an email off to ACE enquiring about the J52

(my wife has just painted a picture of part of one from a photo we took at Shildon).

post-6713-127007126556_thumb.jpg

So it may feature on my workbench at some point if I decide to go ahead and buy one.

Sorry to high jack your thread but I couldn't resist adding the painting

LNER man & don't fancy a one of the pacifics??????????? :blink:

Tell what Jonathan, I wish I had an excuse his his rebuilt merchant navy class, that is one impressive machine. (Maybe one day for the mantle piece :icon_drool: )

Sorry, missed this...

Unfortunately, the Pacifics were a little too large for West Mersea. In terms of larger engines I need to stick to B17's K2's B12's etc...

I know exactly what you mean about the MN! I'd love to do one in Scale7 with working brakes with all those linkages working off of each other... Maybe one day I might be able to justify it.. :rolleyes:

JB.

Time consuming is around 30mins for you eh Ken ? :lol:

Looking great !!

JB.

P.s. Got myself a Gladiator L1...

:icon_thumbsup2: right on Jonathan. Love to see the L1 as it progresses. Ken

All but finished. Just the axle box castings & buffers to fit and shorten the guard irons. Then a complete clean & polish in prep for priming.

This was quite a time consuming tender, two and a half days and just not quite finished. I some don't think the business end of this loco will be done in the same time B)

post-150-127023721106_thumb.jpg

post-150-127023721787_thumb.jpg

post-150-127023722364_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes: Hi Hope y'all had a great Easter. Grabbed a few hours at the WB building the A2 chassis. All going very nicely so far.

Now for the cylinders & valve gear. That should keep me quiet for an hour or two B)

post-150-127049626563_thumb.jpg

Back again. Had to break offt o paint the garden fencing uuurrrggghhhh!!

The chassis is as far as I can go untiol painted. The valve gear assembled with little problem, just a bit fiddly really. I did my usual springing on the centre driver. The motor will mount on the rear driver and face to the rear.

Here it is so far.

post-150-127091906449_thumb.jpg

Ken

Having the drive on the rear driver does it effect the running quality of the model?

I thought that on locos with three drivers it was best to have the drive on the centre driver to give better balance?

I'm just going buy what I have seen on DVDs and read in books?

Pete

Ken

Having the drive on the rear driver does it effect the running quality of the model?

I thought that on locos with three drivers it was best to have the drive on the centre driver to give better balance?

I'm just going buy what I have seen on DVDs and read in books?

Pete

Not in the least Pete. If you use the centre driver it means cutting into the boiler and on a lot of models that means you see an ugly motor/gearbox. The trick is, like in boat building, use lead weight to perfectly balance the model over the centre drivers.

It is rare that you can use the centre drivers for the motor except on tank locos and even then it's mostly best to use the rear axle to have the motor in the firebox.

Back at the bench after a couple of days gallavanting celebrating my wifes birthday. (A very nice sunny day spent on Angelsey yesterday)

Anyway cracking on with the body on the A2. Going together extremely well. A huge help is the location slot & tabs, alignment etchings abound. No guess work for anything.

Close of the day photo.

post-150-127118893531_thumb.jpg

:D A good days work on the A2 today. A fair bit of time spent getting the boiler/smokebox units to sit abssolutely square. The firebox/boiler/smoke box are all bolt together, a nice strog unit results. The frames are quite flimsy between the firebox and smokebox. adding the cast brass sandbox fillers soon make the whole unit nice and solid. Now at the stage of detailing it all. That will be a time consuming job.

This is here so far.

post-150-127127387432_thumb.jpg