NGG16 fittings

Garrattfan

Hello again

I am in the process of building Backwoods' NGG16 in OO9. I am trying to source the appropriate lost wax brass castings for building no 87 (Welsh Highland Railway). So far I've been unsuccessful in finding the right suppliers and/or parts. Could anyone of you advise me on what to buy and where.

I'm looking for these:

Right hand side on the boiler

DSC04213.jpg

and a little further towards the cab, connected to the previous

DSC04215.jpg

Then, below the footplate

DSC04218.jpg

On the left hand side the same but mirrored

DSC03415-2.jpg

and this, errrm what is it?

DSC03415.jpg

On the driving units there grease pumps, of which the white metal casting of the Backwoods kit has only scant resemblance, I'm looking for replacements

DSC03490.jpg

Have you tried Backwoods Miniatures? I see you are making their kit, so am a bit surprised that these bits are not included. Check that they have not been inadvertantly left out of the kit.

Good luck with your modelling.

Geoff.

I'm sure they are, since I have a sprue containing at least some of these parts bought as spares from Backwoods at a show. If they're not in the box, email Backwoods and ask them - I've always found them helpful. If you're concerned that the parts aren't as good as you'd like, that's a different matter, and I'm not quite sure what to recommend. The Gresham and Craven vacuum ejector is a fairly standard bit of kit (I think Gibson do a casting). Similiarly, the lubricator is another standard bit of kit, a Wakefield oil lubricator. I think Dave Bradwell might well do one as spare sprues from his kits, but you might need to source your own etched wheel.

HTH

Adam

• 1 month later...

Just bear in mind that The vac ejector and the wakefield maechanical lubricator will be smaller than standard gauge parts

When you consider that these loco's have a larger boiler and are heavier than a lot of British standard gauge loco's, and speaking from experience of firing these on the Welsh Highland, I can assure you that this is not correct.

Phil T.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Your help has been great, via this post or otherwise. Today's breaking news: I have completed the construction phase of my OO9 model of the NGG16 no 87. My website has been updated accordingly, pages about detailing and a photo gallery of the unpainted loco. Rivet counters will no doubt argue some minor details, but I am happy with the end result. I need to do some small (re)work, invisible and unimportant for the end result, and some testing. Then on to the final stage: painting. YESSS!!

Hello all,

Your help has been great, via this post or otherwise. Today's breaking news: I have completed the construction phase of my OO9 model of the NGG16 no 87. My website has been updated accordingly, pages about detailing and a photo gallery of the unpainted loco. Rivet counters will no doubt argue some minor details, but I am happy with the end result. I need to do some small (re)work, invisible and unimportant for the end result, and some testing. Then on to the final stage: painting. YESSS!!

Very impressive, the little (and even for such a large 2' gauge loco, it is a little model), details really improve and already impressive kit. So... Grey or dark blue?

Adam

Hello all,

Would love to see it but the link doesn't seem to work for me ?

Very impressive, the little (and even for such a large 2' gauge loco, it is a little model), details really improve and already impressive kit. So... Grey or dark blue?

Adam

Thank you Adam. Your and other's compliments are great encouragements. Well. Not blue. Not because it isn't good. O yes, I like the blue loco. But two reasons for grey: 1) that's the way it was when I chased it in 2009 and 2) I find the lining of the blue version too daunting. I'll practise, promise. But not on this one.

Archived