• 2 weeks later...

If it was called Chromatic Blue, we could have lots of arguments over the shade........... :no:

Seriously though, I think it looks very smart in that shade of blue, with the small yellow panels.

Doubtless it'll get a makeover from numerous design consultants and end up looking horrid.

• Like 1

Hi all,

It will make DCC sound chips interesting? As it will need the electric start up file, a diesel start up file, an electric running file, a diesel running file and then the shutdown files for both.

Regards

Vin

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

It will make DCC sound chips interesting? As it will need the electric start up file, a diesel start up file, an electric running file, a diesel running file and then the shutdown files for both.

Regards

Vin

As Kev says it can be done. Legomanbiffo does a 73 with the various options. I guess he'll do a 88 when he gets chance to record one.

Cheers

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That is a very smart looking loco.

I'm amazed that we haven't made a 25kv and diesel loco before. Given how may trains need to be diesel hauled under the wires due to quite small sections off the wires. Should've happened 20+ years ago. Just hope that the other FOCs follow on and order more 88s.

I've often wondered why they don't put HST power cars back on the Mk4 sets in lieu of the DVT's as that would give some additional plug door hybrid sets that could go all the way to Aberdeen  - obv once the HST current uses are finished  and the Mk3's have been converted to timer wagons / parcels  / roller disco  ( delete as applicable )  :angel:

Am I missing something here?

The loco is listed as being only 700kW under diesel power, that's under 1000hp...so less than a class 20? Yet it has 4000 bhp under electric guise, about the same as a class 86?

The 20's were used in pairs, so what is the point of this loco?

Everyone is missing the point.

Whilst it is a dual mode locomotive, in reality it's more like a class 73 in that it's an electric loco with a small diesel engine enabling it to work off the wires . All of the current crop of European dual modes are like this , including Bombardier's "last mile " TRAXX , although I believe they have been tested hauling a fair load on diesel mode , so perhaps not as puny as suggested. 

• RMweb Gold

I've often wondered why they don't put HST power cars back on the Mk4 sets in lieu of the DVT's as that would give some additional plug door hybrid sets that could go all the way to Aberdeen  - obv once the HST current uses are finished  and the Mk3's have been converted to timer wagons / parcels  / roller disco  ( delete as applicable )  :angel:

It was done once to test the ride of mk4s at speed north of York. Must have been about 89