• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Peter749 said:

88007 worked 6Z05 1244 Carlisle N.Y. to Crewe Bas Hall S.S.M seen arriving at Warrington Bank Quay - 25th October 2021

The train was 4 wheel EWS wagons which I have normally seen on engineers trains

They'll be being moved between LDC locations in readiness for the next engineering trains they are used on.

There are regular trips between these yards that run every day, presumably 6Z05 is either an additional or a route variation on the regular Carlisle - Crewe circuit.

Jo

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure it’s normally 6K05 that runs via the s+c and clitheroe the Z may be because it run by the WCML instead (I’ve not looked at the route on RTT for that day) 

it normally runs in front of the chirk logs out of kingmoor over the s+c 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

They'll be being moved between LDC locations in readiness for the next engineering trains they are used on.

There are regular trips between these yards that run every day, presumably 6Z05 is either an additional or a route variation on the regular Carlisle - Crewe circuit.

Jo

6Z05 is running via the WCML with 88s in place of the regular 6K05 via the S&C (for a few weeks) as DRS doesn't have spare diesel capacity as they are being  used on RHTT jobs.

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

DRS are double heading their intermaodal services at the moment, presumably for better adhesion during the leaf fall season. Some trains are pairs of 66s, some pairs of 68s (they do sound good) and some pairs of 88s. I’m a bit surprised at the pairs of 88s as they draw considerable current, wonder if they could draw too much for the power supply?

On 29/10/2021 at 09:05, ColinK said:

I’m a bit surprised at the pairs of 88s as they draw considerable current, wonder if they could draw too much for the power supply?

If you had one loco pulling a train of x weight it would draw a lot of current to move it - two locos should, in theory, draw less current as they don't need to work as hard.

Not sure that idea will survive the laws of physics. British electric trains are limited to 320A (or thereabouts), and if you put full power on with two locos then they'd draw 640A. The characteristics of a 3 phase drive as against the old tap changer or chopper control mean it'll be a bit different on the speed/ current graph, but two locos will draw more current than one.

57 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Not sure that idea will survive the laws of physics. British electric trains are limited to 320A (or thereabouts), and if you put full power on with two locos then they'd draw 640A. The characteristics of a 3 phase drive as against the old tap changer or chopper control mean it'll be a bit different on the speed/ current graph, but two locos will draw more current than one.

I think the point is that if both locos are only working at 50% power, as opposed to one loco operating at 100% power that current draw should be similar (or maybe less if efficiency is better).

If running both locos on full whack then obviously they'll be drawing more current but that's not the point being made I don't think.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a regular visitor to the Huddersfield line, DRS 88003 Genesis, with 68017 Hornet, passing through Deighton on 5th January 2023 working as 0Z68, Leeds Balm Road to Crewe Gresty Bridge.

331257248_88003680170Z68Deighton05012023-RMweb.jpg.cba3c086fed5d870e6aefc300c20261c.jpg

The pair had been at Freightliner's facility at Midland Road since before Christmas for a spin on the wheel lathe.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...