Taunton Members Day 2016 - the Saturday evening pub meeting

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

As mentioned previously, I have now booked the pub venue for the meal on the Saturday evening, 23rd April 2016.

We will first of all meet, as planned, at the Taunton MRG premises at Bishops Lydeard station from 1700 to 1900, and I have then booked the usual side room in The Cross Keys, Norton Fitzwarren. Those who have been to this venue before will recall the arrangements, no doubt, but there is a side room to the left of the bar area (as you enter the pub), which can accommodate 21 - 25 of us.

The pub's menu is here - http://www.fayre-square.com/pub/cross-keys-taunton/c5680/menu/

The pub have said that if you are able to book your meal with them in advance, this will be a great help on the night. If you wish to do this, please can you do so direct with the pub (I don't need to know what you've ordered!).

What would help, though, is if everyone attending could send me a PM to say whether they are joining the pub party.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I won't (but I'm told we're going to the theatre and as it's a 'dinner theatre' where you start with a 'as much as you can get on the plate' meal I'm sure I'll be sufficiently well fed before the farce starts).

Enjoy yourselves!

The leaning tower of food, or perhaps an engineering challenge (selecting the right building materials for the base layers is key here) ;)

I do however note it seems to be a British trait (of which I am guilty of) where going back for additional helpings is seen as being greedy - yet overfilling your dish on the initial serving is seen as fine.

For a demonstration just have a look at people coming back from the salad cart in your nearest Harvester.

• RMweb Gold

The leaning tower of food, or perhaps an engineering challenge (selecting the right building materials for the base layers is key here) ;)

I do however note it seems to be a British trait (of which I am guilty of) where going back for additional helpings is seen as being greedy - yet overfilling your dish on the initial serving is seen as fine.

For a demonstration just have a look at people coming back from the salad cart in your nearest Harvester.

The last time we were there - a week night - they seemed to have leftovers of some stuff so were encouraging folk to go back for more;  I was a good chap and didn't (there's only so much braised red cabbage one can eat at a public venue ;)  ).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, will you be there on the Saturday evening, please?

I won't be able to join you Sat evening as we are off to see Allo Allo in stage (I'm not taking Nouvion o gauge layout!)

So look forward to seeing folk bright and breezy Sunday next week with my new layout Lapford Gate - o gauge BR 1970s/80s in North Devon - think I might wear my BR tie for the event - as issued to young Stanford at start of BR career 8o)

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to the usual pleasant natter at both the Taunton MRG and also over the meal in the evening. I only hope that my menu choice has been recorded correctly as the person who took my order over the phone appeared slightly confused about the whole event...

• RMweb Gold

I regret I cannot make the Saturday evening gathering but looking forward to an early arrival at Staplegrove on Sunday to report to our new ModuleMeister with my new module. Fingers crossed that it will reliably work with everyone else's masterpieces.

Looking forward to the day!

very best wishes to all

Godfrey

The pub have said that if you are able to book your meal with them in advance, this will be a great help on the night. If you wish to do this, please can you do so direct with the pub (I don't need to know what you've ordered!).

What would help, though, is if everyone attending could send me a PM to say whether they are joining the pub party.

Many thanks.

Hi Tim,

Do you happen to know if you can email them with choices? I haven't got the chance to phone them before as I'm very very busy.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

Do you happen to know if you can email them with choices? I haven't got the chance to phone them before as I'm very very busy.

Simon

Not sure, Simon, can you perhaps check the menu on the journey down and call them on Saturday, I'm sure that as long as they get the order an hour or two before we get there, it will be OK?

I look forward to the usual pleasant natter at both the Taunton MRG and also over the meal in the evening. I only hope that my menu choice has been recorded correctly as the person who took my order over the phone appeared slightly confused about the whole event...

I think I had the same person yesterday. He said "we don't need to know yet but have you got everyone's order?". I said it would be easier if I took pot luck on the night.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't actually booked mine yet, but I did go to the pub in person to make the arrangements, agreed the reserved area with the boss-type person behind the bar, and saw him write the reservation in the book, with my name against it.

I think I had the same person yesterday. He said "we don't need to know yet but have you got everyone's order?". I said it would be easier if I took pot luck on the night.

In that case I might do the same!

Simon

Not sure what's in the pot on Saturday night, though.

Well where I come from:-

"The plant contains the mind-altering chemical delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other related compounds. Extracts with high amounts of THC can also be made from the cannabis plant (see "Marijuana Extracts"). Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States."

I must confess I'm beginning to wonder about coming to play with you boys,

I ran a search to find the topic earlier today and I must confess I was a little surprised with what came up.

post-18627-0-37238000-1461312495.jpg

We lead a sheltered existence around these parts.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Well, the pub manager has rung me twice today, the second time being this afternoon before I had the chance to return his answer message from this morning!

Of the 16 so far confirmed as attending the Saturday evening pub meal, a total of 8 have placed orders, but for some reason, there are no names recorded against the food orders.

So, it is up to everyone to remember what they have ordered, please!

Would those of you who have pre-ordered your food please 'check in' with the pub manager when you arrive at The Cross Keys, and ensure that he has a name against each individual food order?

Many thanks.

Archived