RMWEB Tour Of Didcot Railway Centre 31st July 2016

Castle

The 2016 RMWEB Tour of Didcot Railway Centre 31st July 2016

Hi All,

It's back! I have again agreed with our centre manager and Andy Y that we could have another day to meet at Didcot to have another one of my traditional 'access all areas' tours of our site. I have entertained people of all ages on these tours so it is open to my fellow RMWEB members and family members of all ages!

The date decided upon was Sunday 31st July 2016. Locomotives could include, Railcar No. 22, Railmotor No. 93 and large Prairie No. 4144. I will update the loco roster as we know what is happening on site!

Saint No. 2999 Lady of Legend is looking very impressive at the moment and is not that far off. County No. 1014 County of Glamorgan should be sat on its wheels by then too. Churchward Saddle Tank No. 1363, 72XX class No. 7202 and Sodor railways No. 1 have seen much effort and all show noticeable progress. No. 4079 Pendennis Castle will also now look a vast amount more impressive as she now sports (albeit temporarily) her boiler and is in the final stages of her restoration. We will also be able to see behind the scenes in the Carriage and wagon department too!

The new 'Controlling the Trains' exhibit building, in conjunction with the Swindon Panel Society is now making major leaps forward, not least of which is the delivery of said panel! I had a look this afternoon and it is an impressive beast...

As before, I will do a proper modellers tour where I will take you behind the scenes and enable you to look in all the workshops and stored collections of vehicles. If there is anything that you specifically want to see, measure, look at, go inside of or crawl over then let me know and we will see what we can do. The only obvious restrictions would be on any stock or items on the running lines of course - squashed patrons don't go down well with management... However, if you don't mind waiting until after the trains are put back in the box for that vital item that needs measuring I am sure that something can be arranged. It's been done before!

As per last time, the signalling box key will find its way into my pocket so there will be an opportunity to go and have a look at the box and the incredible level of authentic restoration achieved with this building. I will also steal a carriage key from somewhere so we can inspect the interior of some of the vehicles not normally accessible to visitors.

The plan as always would be to get yourselves to Didcot and take any rides in the morning and I will take an early lunch and start the tour at 12:30hrs, meeting you at the entrance kiosk at the top end of the site. I would like to put a cap on the group size of 50 as any more than that and it gets a bit confined in the various works. I will rope in my fellow GWS tour guides again too!

So then, who wants another look in the best GWR toy box in the world?

All the best,

Castle

• 2 weeks later...

Natalie and myself would provisionally be interested in this. It is a little too far off atm to know for sure. But have mentioned it to her just now (having just seen the thread), and it sounds good to us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Might not be able to get there due to the fact that the DVLA has revoked my HGV/LGV and car license due to an medical  condition that has developed.

I am currently frighting the case to get my license back..

Looking forward to the 2 hours on a bus to attend a hospital appointment. That will be 4 hours wasted on this coming Thursday. 

Archived