East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

That  mesh is both ugly and surely pointless - and even more expense for the taxpayer. Were they expecting vandals to squeeze between the bars?

Jonathan

At this stage it is about creating a balance between making the railway secure from vandalism without having to fully enclose the bridge with solid plate which in turn would make it vulnerable to law abiding citizens going about their normal business.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

At this stage it is about creating a balance between making the railway secure from vandalism without having to fully enclose the bridge with solid plate which in turn would make it vunerable to ideal for law abiding breaking citizens going about their normal business.

FTFY

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

make it vulnerable to ideal for law abiding breaking citizens going about their normal business

The exchange of wraps takes place at the foot of the stairs on the west side, just look out for the dealer wearing a long red jacket cycling in from Bretton to do the deal.😎

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

On 14/05/2022 at 20:30, Donington Road said:

The exchange of wraps takes place at the foot of the stairs on the west side, just look out for the dealer wearing a long red jacket cycling in from Bretton to do the deal.😎

😀 blimey, you lot worry me, I thought there may be some likes to my observations, but to be actively interested in a 'how to obtain these things'.

2022-05-15_21-07-26.jpg.71f7d426d228d84802a25a1cad4c9774.jpg

no, I don't have a red jacket nor was I touting for business 😀😀😀

Edited by Donington Road
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

😀 blimey, you lot worry me, I thought there may be some likes to my observations, but to be actively interested in a 'how to obtain these things'.

Perhaps we should worry about you, after you did proffer the information in the first place.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Yeah, but no, but, has he got a commercial trading licence from NR????

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Sunday 22nd May

A new fence and some planting on Hurn Road:

20220522_112542.jpg

Views from Hurn Road bridge of the surfacing and planting work on the track alongside the Stamford line:

20220522_113006.jpg

20220522_113014.jpg

20220522_113134.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

The field at Hurn Road which held the majority of the spoil from the dive under has now been covered with new drainage (the raised soil lines show where this has been installed), presumably this is to help keep excess water away from the dive under as well as making the field more productive.

IMG_2200c.jpg.f00c80a0cb3ef6509d813217fd41c9df.jpg

IMG_2204c.jpg.5d82ae24213194fb8a94d156dc1a6f7d.jpg

IMG_2205c.jpg.9275511dce6b580001d4005436db019a.jpg

The Down Stamford/Down ECML Slow is not the neatest piece of track laying but at least it works.

IMG_2210c.jpg.f73db268ff40244fad26669fd20a0952.jpg

The large cabinet above the north portal has had a visit from the spraycan vandals.

IMG_2207c.jpg.9efbd25f32432a39248b09b9bca1f93c.jpg

Magpie and Fox out for an evening stroll.

IMG_2220c.jpg.e1dacfba5ba7827043b148af47b6cbb4.jpg

Not a good idea Mr. Fox, you shouldn't be standing in the four foot and looking in the wrong direction, perhaps Magpie is the lookout.

IMG_2222c.jpg.5b483fcc7c5c833a2efce17cecd2ea44.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have three new street lights installed today, one at Hurn Road..............

IMG_2382c.thumb.jpg.ca087cfe9998172de45b83b3959c4a59.jpg

...........and two at Lincoln Road..........

IMG_2374c.thumb.jpg.8018c7e65358ba09fc20d87a005326a0.jpg

.......professionally secured to the fence so they don't fall over.😀

IMG_2379c.thumb.jpg.c54ea4eeeff494cad77a150e5c125899.jpg

This sign is next to the railway at Hurn Road at the access point near the A15 overbridge.

IMG_2380c.thumb.jpg.c216a52e9accb3c97c9c3d88606ffb26.jpg

What I don't understand is the line speed (70/75) quoted on the Up Spalding towards Peterborough which applies to the old flat route to Werrington Junction.

From Glinton Junction to and including Werrington Junction is 40, from Werrington Junction where the Up Spalding joins the Up Slow (ECML) the line speed is 65/75.  I sure wouldn't want to see a freight train negotiating Werrington Junction from Spalding at 70.😲

All the other line speeds quoted are as lineside signposted.

EDIT: WDU = Werrington Dive Under

WEB = ?

ELR =  ? (East Lincolnshire Railway?)

Can any one enlighten me?

IMG_2380cc.JPG.6712de72214a1366478a31560f7e85b4.JPG

Edited by Donington Road
questions about the sign
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

ELR = Engineers Line Reference.

Thank you for that piece of info.

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

WEB = WErrington - Boston?

We all wish that was still in existance!!!

Signals in this area are WS, which is Werrington to Sleaford

• RMweb Premium

The Line is WEB to the site of Spalding South Junction where the GN/GE joint line came in from March and continues on to Sleaford as SPD 1.

The line is ex GN from Werrington to Spalding North Junction, where the GN line originally continued on to Boston.

SPD 2, 3, 4 & 5 are the designations of the line via Lincoln to Doncaster.

These ELRs are all in Track Map's atlases

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The Line is WEB to the site of Spalding South Junction where the GN/GE joint line came in from March and continues on to Sleaford as SPD 1.

The line is ex GN from Werrington to Spalding North Junction, where the GN line originally continued on to Boston.

SPD 2, 3, 4 & 5 are the designations of the line via Lincoln to Doncaster.

These ELRs are all in Track Map's atlases

Yes, I can understand those designations as I am obviously familiar to the area.  But as so much of the railways in Lincolnshire have long since been done away with I would have thought that these references would have been brought upto date to suit the modern railway.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Yes, I can understand those designations as I am obviously familiar to the area.  But as so much of the railways in Lincolnshire have long since been done away with I would have thought that these references would have been brought upto date to suit the modern railway.

Maybe not much point if all that has happened is a length has been chopped from the route, possibly more trouble than it's worth.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's it! it's all over 🥲

Morgan Sindall said they would be finished by the end of June.

Here it is, the last building/shed/office leaving the Lincoln Road site which has been Morgan Sindalls temporary home for the past few months.

2071130265_lastremovallincolnroad.thumb.jpg.1e98f2f1a4a25e5e33a7608140efc0d5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6

On 29/06/2022 at 16:17, Crun said:

So they think that the WH Smith’s Mews ramp is a suitable new entrance for extra traffic?

what they should have done was NOT put houses on the Rathbones bakery site and used that for the station.

ever tried getting down Midland Road since the hospital shut and they put a school there?

stupid council 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is interested in travelling over the dive under lines, a chum identified a pair of regular trains which is booked to do that; 2K17 1454 Doncaster-Peterborough and the return working,  2K24 1710 Peterborough-Lincoln.  The clues seem to be that passing times are given in Real Time Trains for Glinton Jn. and Marholm Jn. (not shown for other Joint Line passenger trains), and it uses Platform 7 at Peterborough rather than Platform 1.

On Tuesday we set out to do that, joining 2K17 at Lincoln, and approaching Werrington it .... stayed on the old line and ended up in Platform 1!  Looking back in Real Time Trains it seems to be about 50:50 which route it takes, so a more reliable way to get the new line might be to turn up at Peterborough station at about 1700 and see which platform the Lincoln train is in.

I presume it is done for route knowledge retention purposes, as we could see nothing at Peterborough which would dictate that it had to use one platform rather than the other.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 29/06/2022 at 17:17, Crun said:

Perhaps this needs a new thread? I shall start one (unless someone else has beaten me to it!).

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

On 14/05/2022 at 16:14, corneliuslundie said:

That  mesh is both ugly and surely pointless - and even more expense for the taxpayer. Were they expecting vandals to squeeze between the bars?

Jonathan

It is an electrification requirement. Where there is a standing surface within a certain distance of live OLE (I can't remember it off the top of my head) It must be separated with a mesh with holes not exceeding 50mm x 50mm.  Many signals in electrified areas are fitted with this mesh to enable signaling engineers to work on them whilst the OLE is live.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3